U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 PM

14 posts, read 45,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
OP... I don't think I would move here if I were you.

Dallas does have a lot going for it, as well as the surrounding suburbs. But there are extremely few places around here that are going to make for convenient living if you can't drive. The public transportation leaves a lot to be desired here. There are a couple main routes, but it's nothing like Chicago or New York, where buses run much more frequently, and with more routes. Bottom line, I wouldn't want to have to depend on public transportation for things like going to the store or running errands. It simply isn't worth it. Dallas as a whole just isn't a very walkable city, everything is very much spread out.

I also don't think that a degree in social work is going to go very far here. My mother has the same degree, and while this was many years ago, she was unable to find work. Other cities we've lived in have had far more outreach programs and such where a degree in social work would be needed. Dallas just simply isn't a place to find many of those jobs. Couple that with the low walkability aspect here, and I'd search elsewhere.

Good luck with your search.
Yes, I did hear from someone that used to live in Dallas that it is more spread out as far as public transit. Do you know if Austin or Houston are any better? I used to live in Austin a few years back, but it got kind of expensive as far as rent, but the transit was doable provided you lived within walking distance of a main route, although I have heard from friends that it has changed a lot since I left. Do you think the Dallas area would be about the same as Austin or Houston, or is it better or worse? I don't want to move up to New York or Chicago myself mainly because it is colder there, and I would like to live somewhere in the southern part of the country, although Chicago and New York do have good transit. In Greensboro, NC where I live the transit is not the greatest either, because there is only one transfer center downtown, so even if you want to go somewhere close to where you live but on another bus line, you have to ride all the way downtown to catch another bus route, and buses run every 30 minutes to an hour, and if your bus does not get downtown at the same exact time that all other buses do at the top and bottom of each hour, then the buses leave and you have to wait for the next bus to come in. I am not sure if that is how Dallas is, but I am just putting it out there for comparison. Dallas is a lot larger than Greensboro though, so I guess it is not much to compare. Basically, I would like to move to a city with pretty good transportation as well as opportunities for jobs after I finish school so that I won't have to continue moving around all over the place. I have friends that lived in Dallas, and they said it was good there, but then again, they can drive, so it is hard for them to be able to tell me how efficient the public transportation is there besides the fact that it exists there.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
I recently helped a foreign colleague relocate to an apartment in Richardson. His requirements were that he be near UTD and have access to public transportation (he has a bicycle but no car). In your price range, I would look at the Madison at Melrose and at the Belle Grove. They are older apartment complexes, but perfectly acceptable. It would be a little bit of a walk to either Campbell or Arapaho to catch a bus (which would also connect with the DART station), but its doable. Not sure about daycare or schools, you would have to check. My guess is the elementary school would be Northrich which I think is okay. I'm not a parent of school age children and schools were not a concern to my colleague. The Heights Park pool and recreation center on Arapaho are being renovated, which may be appealing to you with a young child.

In addition to staying away from the complexes on Spring Valley, I would also stay away from the complexes on Coit between Campbell and Frankford (near McCallum). They are very convenient to shopping and UTD, but they are old and, more relevantly, decaying.

You might also call the UTD housing office and look into house sharing/roommate possiblities. That might not be your first choice as the parent of a young child, but it's possible someone may be in a similar situation and with roommates renting a house might be a possibility. Lots of due diligence would be necessary, of course.

Good luck.
Thank you. This is good to know. Actually, there is a school that I am considering for my daughter near Arapaho and Plano Roads. It is located on Plano, but I looked up the nearest DART bus, which has the stop on Arapaho. I read on the DART website that Arapaho station is nearby, but am not sure. It sounds like living near Arapaho would be the best bet for transportation perhaps.
Thank you.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,353,739 times
MDN1988, you can locate that Arapaho Rail station on a google map. First, on the google map showing the DFW, make a search for 'UT Dallas'. The map will move to show UT Dallas. You will need to zoom closer to a local level to see the DART icons for Bus and Rail. There are several bus stops on Campbell as well as Arapaho.

A mile or so east of campus you'll see US75 and red and an orange line running somewhat parallel to that highway. Those are DART Rail. Zoom close enough to click on the Rail icon to see info about Start/End of the line, and current run times. Now, click on 'More Info'. This should give you a new window where you will find 'Arapaho Center Station' with listed bus routes to the right. Now, you can go to DART to get exact bus routes and full schedules of bus and rail.

At Dart.org, you'll see the rail lines listed in individual colors. You can look at the lines to see where they go. You are more particularly interested in the Red and Yellow, mentioned above. You'll also see a link at the top for 'Fares and Passes'. You might be interested in the monthly pass, $80. Or, if the university has an offer for that.

Towards the top left of the page is a link to Bus routes which produces a page of map preferences. You want Map B. Maybe Map C if you're looking for something downtown. The maps open in PDF and may time some time and effort to open. You might want to save the map to your desktop for quicker loading next time you want to look.

Knowing where these buses stop may assist in your apartment choice.

From the list 'Suburban Buses' dropdown
360 will go to both Campbell and Arapaho rail and does travel on Plano Rd from Campbell and a short distance north
372 starts at Arapaho Station and crosses Plano Rd. but does not travel along Plano Rd.
From 'To Rail Stations' dropdown
551 travels from Arapaho to Plano Rd and towards town (south)

***And I forgot to mention above, after having UT Dallas on your map, at the top right of the google map is a drop down that may say 'Traffic', or 'Terrain'. Click the drop down and choose 'Transit'

And no, neither Austin nor Houston transit are any better.

Good luck

Last edited by Willsson; 04-15-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 PM

988 posts, read 1,899,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
OP... I don't think I would move here if I were you.

Dallas does have a lot going for it, as well as the surrounding suburbs. But there are extremely few places around here that are going to make for convenient living if you can't drive. The public transportation leaves a lot to be desired here. There are a couple main routes, but it's nothing like Chicago or New York, where buses run much more frequently, and with more routes. Bottom line, I wouldn't want to have to depend on public transportation for things like going to the store or running errands. It simply isn't worth it. Dallas as a whole just isn't a very walkable city, everything is very much spread out.

I also don't think that a degree in social work is going to go very far here. My mother has the same degree, and while this was many years ago, she was unable to find work. Other cities we've lived in have had far more outreach programs and such where a degree in social work would be needed. Dallas just simply isn't a place to find many of those jobs. Couple that with the low walkability aspect here, and I'd search elsewhere.

Good luck with your search.
The world is a much different place today than 20 years ago. While you're not going to make Software Engineer money with only a bachelors in social work, Social Work is one of the most certainly an in demand job in a city with a large and growing medical community. The issue is mobility, not necessarily walkability. Can this person get from AtoB without much hassle. As someone that used to rely on it, its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be here. The buses run pretty frequently on any major route or destination, and connect to rail stations. There is likely a route that stops at or very near any school as well.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM

606 posts, read 1,875,453 times
there are several things you are ignoring

1. UTD is extremely difficult to get into and is one of the publis universities in Texas with the highest entrance requirements

2. UTD is the most expensive public university in Texas by an average of over $2,000

3. any apartments "near" UTD are going to be a long hike to actual campus buildings because UTD has a large amount of undeveloped property on the edges of the campus

4. $700 per month is a very low budget for rent in Richardson

5. UTD does not offer degrees in social work they offer degrees in psychology, sociology, or criminology

6. social work degrees are not in demand no matter what anyone tells you and they are a dime a dozen as well

7. Austin is only more expensive now and UT Austin is harder to transfer into than UTD

8. Houston will not be a good place because the public schools will either not have quality housing close by and the public transport around the public schools will not be that great

9. you have to live in Texas FOR ONE FULL YEAR WITHOUT GOING TO ANY PUBLIC SCHOOL OR COMMUNITY COLLEGE before you will qualify for in state tuition

having lived here in the past will not help you qualify for in state tuition.....so you will either be paying out of state tuition THE ENTIRE TIME you are in a public university ANYWHERE in Texas or you will need to live in Texas for one full year without going to a public university or community college before you can qualify for in state tuition

if you do go to a community college or public university before that one year to establish residency then you will pay out of state tuition for the remainder of the time you are in school

so based on all of that it does not sound like moving to Texas will be a good decision for you without first completing a degree or unless you are willing to wait a full year to establish residency or you are willing to pay out of state tuition for the entire time you are in school

also one other thing you will have to be gainfully employed during that 12 month period as well

for a social work degree that will not be in demand....social work is not "health care" or health care related and they are a dime a dozen

Last edited by TexasVines; 04-15-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
MDN1988, you can locate that Arapaho Rail station on a google map. First, on the google map showing the DFW, make a search for 'UT Dallas'. The map will move to show UT Dallas. You will need to zoom closer to a local level to see the DART icons for Bus and Rail. There are several bus stops on Campbell as well as Arapaho.

A mile or so east of campus you'll see US75 and red and an orange line running somewhat parallel to that highway. Those are DART Rail. Zoom close enough to click on the Rail icon to see info about Start/End of the line, and current run times. Now, click on 'More Info'. This should give you a new window where you will find 'Arapaho Center Station' with listed bus routes to the right. Now, you can go to DART to get exact bus routes and full schedules of bus and rail.

At Dart.org, you'll see the rail lines listed in individual colors. You can look at the lines to see where they go. You are more particularly interested in the Red and Yellow, mentioned above. You'll also see a link at the top for 'Fares and Passes'. You might be interested in the monthly pass, $80. Or, if the university has an offer for that.

Towards the top left of the page is a link to Bus routes which produces a page of map preferences. You want Map B. Maybe Map C if you're looking for something downtown. The maps open in PDF and may time some time and effort to open. You might want to save the map to your desktop for quicker loading next time you want to look.

Knowing where these buses stop may assist in your apartment choice.

From the list 'Suburban Buses' dropdown
360 will go to both Campbell and Arapaho rail and does travel on Plano Rd from Campbell and a short distance north
372 starts at Arapaho Station and crosses Plano Rd. but does not travel along Plano Rd.
From 'To Rail Stations' dropdown
551 travels from Arapaho to Plano Rd and towards town (south)

***And I forgot to mention above, after having UT Dallas on your map, at the top right of the google map is a drop down that may say 'Traffic', or 'Terrain'. Click the drop down and choose 'Transit'

And no, neither Austin nor Houston transit are any better.

Good luck
Hi Wilson,
Thank you for all of the bus information. I am visually impaired so cannot actually see the maps, but I did go on DART's website and type addresses into the route finder and stop locator boxes, and the finder brought up the routes 360, 372, and 551 as you specified. I will probably type in apartment addresses as I find them to see how close each is to a DART or rail stop. I tried to look at individual routes, but there are many routes, so I just looked at the 3 routes around Arapaho/Plano area and that went through Arapaho station.
Thank you.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
The world is a much different place today than 20 years ago. While you're not going to make Software Engineer money with only a bachelors in social work, Social Work is one of the most certainly an in demand job in a city with a large and growing medical community. The issue is mobility, not necessarily walkability. Can this person get from AtoB without much hassle. As someone that used to rely on it, its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be here. The buses run pretty frequently on any major route or destination, and connect to rail stations. There is likely a route that stops at or very near any school as well.
A friend of mine that used to live there in Dallas said that she came across a lot of social work related jobs, but I am not sure how accurate that is now, so that is why I brought it up. I am also thinking about double-majoring in both social work and education, so that way I have both fields open in case one doesn't work out. Eventually, I would like to get a Masters degree, but I am hoping to get some work experience before I do that if I possibly can.
As for the transit system, I am hoping it will be better than where I currently live now, although, from the posts here, it seems like maybe the transit in Dallas depends on where you live.
Thank you.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 PM

9,523 posts, read 19,579,089 times
The problem with Social Work is that you MUST have a license to work in that field in Texas. And yes, there are many more people with the degree/license than there are jobs for them. BSWs usually lose out to MSWs for the few jobs available.

Honestly, the better school in DFW for social work is UT Arlington. They have an entire school of social work, and I believe they go up to a doctorate. Almost all of the social workers I have met in the DFW area have graduated from UTA. A few went to TCU, but that was a distinct minority.

Public transit in DFW really leaves a lot to be desired. With our oppressive summer heat, living without a car is going to be very, very difficult.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,295,248 times
Is there a women's shelter or ministry that might guide or house her and her child?
You mentioned visually impaired? Are you on some kind of disability program?
There are some Apartments off of E. Renner and CUster parkway/ Lookout Dr. with many dart stops and a few schools inbetween.

Find the DFWMOMS online community and introduce yourself with your inquiry.
Best of luck to you and your little one. I wish you much success on your journey.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The problem with Social Work is that you MUST have a license to work in that field in Texas. And yes, there are many more people with the degree/license than there are jobs for them. BSWs usually lose out to MSWs for the few jobs available.

Honestly, the better school in DFW for social work is UT Arlington. They have an entire school of social work, and I believe they go up to a doctorate. Almost all of the social workers I have met in the DFW area have graduated from UTA. A few went to TCU, but that was a distinct minority.

Public transit in DFW really leaves a lot to be desired. With our oppressive summer heat, living without a car is going to be very, very difficult.
I have considered UTA as well, because I heard that they had a good social work program, but the problem is lack of transportation, and UTD seems to have more transportation around it. Also, as I mentioned before, I am also interested in education as well as social work, so either one would be good.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or