U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 44,993 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am considering moving to the Dallas area from Greensboro, North Carolina and attending the University of Texas in Richardson. I was considering UT Arlington as well, but I heard that the public transit is very little there. I would like to know what the public transit system is like in Richardson, because I cannot drive due to a disability and would be relying on public transit to get to school and everywhere. I am also a single mother of a 5-year-old, so what areas of Richardson are good areas for someone with a child? Also, would it be costly to rent an apartment there? With my budget, I can only afford $700 or less in rent, so would living there be practical for that price, or would the city of Dallas be better? I considered just living in the city of Dallas, but there doesn't seem to be a UT campus or any other public university there. Would you recommend any other areas of Dallas or suburbs based on what I am looking for?
I also would like to ask about jobs after college. I am majoring in social work and possibly education. Would I have good chances of finding a job in these fields in the Dallas area? I still have about a year before I can move, but I am just doing research now to see if Dallas is the right place for me. I was also considering Charlotte, North Carolina and Atlanta, Georgia, but Dallas seems to offer more transportation options and seems to have more to offer, etc. If anyone has lived in either of these cities as well as Dallas, any comparisons would also be appreciated.
Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Quote:
I would like to know what the public transit system is like in Richardson, because I cannot drive due to a disability and would be relying on public transit to get to school and everywhere.
The University of Tx at Dallas in Richardson has a bus network that runs fairly consistently around Richardson-however, my heart is out to you if you have to rely on public transport only in DFW! There are apartments nearby and within walking distance of the campus and a decent shopping area on Campbell/Coit Road. I would check on campus for housing- I'm not sure how much it is, but i believe it is subsidized by the school or at least it used to be according to co-workers. Sorry, I'm not sure about affordable childcare nearby.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDN1988 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am considering moving to the Dallas area from Greensboro, North Carolina and attending the University of Texas in Richardson. I was considering UT Arlington as well, but I heard that the public transit is very little there. I would like to know what the public transit system is like in Richardson, because I cannot drive due to a disability and would be relying on public transit to get to school and everywhere. I am also a single mother of a 5-year-old, so what areas of Richardson are good areas for someone with a child? Also, would it be costly to rent an apartment there? With my budget, I can only afford $700 or less in rent, so would living there be practical for that price, or would the city of Dallas be better? I considered just living in the city of Dallas, but there doesn't seem to be a UT campus or any other public university there. Would you recommend any other areas of Dallas or suburbs based on what I am looking for?
I also would like to ask about jobs after college. I am majoring in social work and possibly education. Would I have good chances of finding a job in these fields in the Dallas area? I still have about a year before I can move, but I am just doing research now to see if Dallas is the right place for me. I was also considering Charlotte, North Carolina and Atlanta, Georgia, but Dallas seems to offer more transportation options and seems to have more to offer, etc. If anyone has lived in either of these cities as well as Dallas, any comparisons would also be appreciated.
Thank you.
The area around UTD was just named one of the top neighborhoods for people ages 18-24.

I live in Richardson, though I am further south than UTD in the Heights Park neighborhood. West Richardson does not have a lot of apartment complexes so your options are somewhat limited, though there are some apartment complexes on the Dallas side of Coit between Campbell and Frankford that you might want to check out. DART buses run up and down Coit and Campbell all day long. There is also a DART rail line east of 75, and tons of bike lanes in the city of Richardson itself. Richardson is becoming more and more bike-friendly for sure.

You might want to check out this page:

Housing - The University of Texas at Dallas

Unfortunately $700 a month is a paltry budget for this area of town. It won't be easy. Rents have really shot up in the last few years.

I would strongly urge you to stay away from apartment complexes along the Spring Valley corridor, both on the Richardson and Dallas sides, between 75 and Coit. It's a hotspot for crime. There are some apartment complexes on Coit itself between Spring Valley and Belt Line that I'm told are OK, but I do not personally know anyone living in them. There are some other older complexes on the Dallas side of Coit between Belt Line and Arapaho that are supposed to be OK, but again I don't know anyone who lives in those. If you're searching by zip code, search in 75080 and 75248. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,176,678 times
Take a look at the off campus housing listed here: Housing - The University of Texas at Dallas
There is a UTD Dart bus that stops near the north and south dorm that goes tot he George Bush Dart Rail Station.
There is also a UTD Comet bus that takes students to the Coit/Campbell area for free.
This is on the north part of campus: Child Development Program - Child Development & Deaf Education Programs - Callier Center at UT Dallas . Care only until K.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The University of Tx at Dallas in Richardson has a bus network that runs fairly consistently around Richardson-however, my heart is out to you if you have to rely on public transport only in DFW! There are apartments nearby and within walking distance of the campus and a decent shopping area on Campbell/Coit Road. I would check on campus for housing- I'm not sure how much it is, but i believe it is subsidized by the school or at least it used to be according to co-workers. Sorry, I'm not sure about affordable childcare nearby.
Thank you for the information. It is good to know that there are apartments within walking distance, and I would be willing to walk to campus if need be. I will definitely check with UT about campus housing. I thought that they did not have housing on campus for families or students with children, but it is something worth looking into.
Thank you.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Take a look at the off campus housing listed here: Housing - The University of Texas at Dallas
There is a UTD Dart bus that stops near the north and south dorm that goes tot he George Bush Dart Rail Station.
There is also a UTD Comet bus that takes students to the Coit/Campbell area for free.
This is on the north part of campus: Child Development Program - Child Development & Deaf Education Programs - Callier Center at UT Dallas . Care only until K.
Thank you for these links. My daughter will be in elementary school, so she will be in school during the day, so that is when I will be scheduling my classes, so hopefully child care won't be an issue as long as I schedule classes during the time she is in school. I will definitely take a look at the link for off-campus housing.
Thank you.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The area around UTD was just named one of the top neighborhoods for people ages 18-24.

I live in Richardson, though I am further south than UTD in the Heights Park neighborhood. West Richardson does not have a lot of apartment complexes so your options are somewhat limited, though there are some apartment complexes on the Dallas side of Coit between Campbell and Frankford that you might want to check out. DART buses run up and down Coit and Campbell all day long. There is also a DART rail line east of 75, and tons of bike lanes in the city of Richardson itself. Richardson is becoming more and more bike-friendly for sure.

You might want to check out this page:

Housing - The University of Texas at Dallas

Unfortunately $700 a month is a paltry budget for this area of town. It won't be easy. Rents have really shot up in the last few years.

I would strongly urge you to stay away from apartment complexes along the Spring Valley corridor, both on the Richardson and Dallas sides, between 75 and Coit. It's a hotspot for crime. There are some apartment complexes on Coit itself between Spring Valley and Belt Line that I'm told are OK, but I do not personally know anyone living in them. There are some other older complexes on the Dallas side of Coit between Belt Line and Arapaho that are supposed to be OK, but again I don't know anyone who lives in those. If you're searching by zip code, search in 75080 and 75248. Good luck!
Thank you for all of these details. It is good to know where good and bad areas are. I will definitely look into Coit and Campbell, since it would be important for me to be near a DART bus or at least near a station where I could catch the DART bus and campus buses.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM

11 posts, read 19,638 times
Call UTD for reliable and up to date information.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,101,075 times
OP... I don't think I would move here if I were you.

Dallas does have a lot going for it, as well as the surrounding suburbs. But there are extremely few places around here that are going to make for convenient living if you can't drive. The public transportation leaves a lot to be desired here. There are a couple main routes, but it's nothing like Chicago or New York, where buses run much more frequently, and with more routes. Bottom line, I wouldn't want to have to depend on public transportation for things like going to the store or running errands. It simply isn't worth it. Dallas as a whole just isn't a very walkable city, everything is very much spread out.

I also don't think that a degree in social work is going to go very far here. My mother has the same degree, and while this was many years ago, she was unable to find work. Other cities we've lived in have had far more outreach programs and such where a degree in social work would be needed. Dallas just simply isn't a place to find many of those jobs. Couple that with the low walkability aspect here, and I'd search elsewhere.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM

212 posts, read 329,838 times
I recently helped a foreign colleague relocate to an apartment in Richardson. His requirements were that he be near UTD and have access to public transportation (he has a bicycle but no car). In your price range, I would look at the Madison at Melrose and at the Belle Grove. They are older apartment complexes, but perfectly acceptable. It would be a little bit of a walk to either Campbell or Arapaho to catch a bus (which would also connect with the DART station), but its doable. Not sure about daycare or schools, you would have to check. My guess is the elementary school would be Northrich which I think is okay. I'm not a parent of school age children and schools were not a concern to my colleague. The Heights Park pool and recreation center on Arapaho are being renovated, which may be appealing to you with a young child.

In addition to staying away from the complexes on Spring Valley, I would also stay away from the complexes on Coit between Campbell and Frankford (near McCallum). They are very convenient to shopping and UTD, but they are old and, more relevantly, decaying.

You might also call the UTD housing office and look into house sharing/roommate possiblities. That might not be your first choice as the parent of a young child, but it's possible someone may be in a similar situation and with roommates renting a house might be a possibility. Lots of due diligence would be necessary, of course.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or