U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:00 PM

9,511 posts, read 19,526,329 times

Advertisements

"All private schools within 20 miles" would cover most of Fort Worth and even a few in Dallas. That's just not realistic!

HEB ISD is just OK. It's no longer the powerhouse it was back in the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 PM

363 posts, read 393,625 times
When we were looking for homes we drove through the neighborhood with high hopes. But when we saw it in person, the dump was a major deal breaker! I wanted to like it so badly because I love the idea of a planned community. But we just couldn't do it.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:33 PM

408 posts, read 533,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
HEB ISD is just OK.

Disagree, just as I disagree with you every time I see you underrate HEB on these forums. They may not produce the high number of powerhouse test scores they once did since the area has become more diverse and they now deal with a mix of socio-economic classes, but they also still have plenty of schools in those diverse areas that score 8 or higher on greatschools.org. They deal with diverse demographics better than probably any district I've seen first hand in the Fort Worth area. They also have the highest achieving and oldest IB program in North Texas. I guess comparing them to districts like Grapevine-Colleyville, Carroll, or Highland Park with zero to little economic diversity, yes, they're not going to score as well. Those kids from those families would be successful anywhere. HEB is still a great district, much more deserving than "just OK."

Last edited by RayStokes; 12-28-2014 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 PM

363 posts, read 393,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Disagree, just as I disagree with you every time I see you underrate HEB on these forums. They may not produce the high number of powerhouse test scores they once did since the area has become more diverse and they now deal with a mix of socio-economic classes, but they also still have plenty of schools in those diverse areas that score 8 or higher on greatschools.org. They deal with diverse demographics better than probably any district I've seen first hand in the Fort Worth area. They also have the highest achieving and oldest IB program in North Texas. I guess comparing them to districts like Grapevine-Colleyville, Carroll, or Highland Park with zero to little economic diversity, yes, they're not going to score as well. Those kids from those families would be successful anywhere. HEB is still a great district, much more deserving than "just OK."
I agree with RayStokes b/c I teach in this district. It's EXTREMELY diverse and serves low socioeconomic backgrounds, yet they still do very well on state tests. My school is a title 1 school with a high population of free and reduced lunch students. Yet we're ranked an 8 on Greatschools. The teachers bust their butts, and analyze data until they're blue in the face to make sure every child is making academic gains.

Last edited by Allison81; 12-28-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 04:34 AM

9,511 posts, read 19,526,329 times
I never said HEB ISD is bad. I just said that it isn't the best district in the area like it used to be. If someone has a son who wants to play football, and they can't afford a $500k house in Southlake, Euless Trinity would be the best school for them. Personally, I don't buy into the whole IB program hype, but to each their own.

GCISD does have economic and racial diversity. Did you see the Texas low-performing schools list this year? GCISD has one on there. It's the elementary school that feeds the area off Mustang Drive with the cheap apartments and the trailer parks. The kids at Timberline Elementary are almost all non-English speaking and low income. Another school, Silver Lake, has a Spanish dual language program. So, no, not everyone in GCISD is wealthy and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas