U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 PM

15 posts, read 42,313 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get people's opinion on this master planned community as I am interested in building a new house in $270K range.

Pros:
-Master Planned Community
-Reasonable price for quality homes (interested in Darling as I am a current Darling owner
- etc.

Con:

-The Arlington Sanitary Landfill close by (is this a big concern? How close is too close?).
- Flood from the Trinity River (?).
- 3.121 tax rate with $900 HOA.
- etc.

Thanks in advance as I look forward to your feedback.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM

19 posts, read 40,220 times
Default Viridian in Arlington

I lived just down the street from these new homes for about 2 years, at the apartments next to the Tom Thumb. I also had friends who lived at the St Edwards apartments even closer to the landfill. Here are my experiences:

On summer days, driving past the landfill was painful. I would frequently turn off my AC just to keep the smell out, not that it worked very well. On other days, usually the smell would only be detectable if there was significant fog in the morning. That being said, the community planners have said the landfill has had emission controls added to it to prevent the odor. That is what they say, but I would not take their word for it. I have not seen the planners address how they will deal with the garbage truck traffic either. Ever been stuck behind one of those? Landfills on wheels. They also have a tendency to drop stuff on the road. I have had to dodge bags of garbage on more than one occasion.

I have seen the entire area there flood, even the River Legacy Park. When it floods, garbage from the landfill dislodges and you end up with trash strewn about wherever the water flows. There is a park entrance on Collins, just across from the development. They have frequently had to close that entrance because of water in the area.

Also, you should note that just North on Collins, on the Fort Worth side, you have 3 strip clubs, a cement or some kind of heavy industrial plant, several bars and not much else of any real use.

I had no idea the HOA was $900. If you are looking for something in the 270K range, there are plenty of options in DFW, many of which do not have $900 in fees and seedy strip clubs as neighbors.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
Second what Karl said. There's no reason to pay that much for a house in a development with a crappy location and with such a high HOA. Yes, there have been a few occasions over the years when the Trinity flooded high, too.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 PM

KarlF and ChrisrieP, thank you both for your feedbacks. Real-life experience feedbacks were exactly what I was needing.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM

77 posts, read 175,055 times
I drive by there every day to and from work. Since 2009, the smell and garbage from the landfill has gotten much better. It only smells now after a heavy rain (which we haven't had much of the past couple of years.) There are lots of garbage trucks and I have gotten dings in my car windows and doors from debris on the road. I do remember the area flooding in September of 2009 when there was a huge rain, but that's the only time I've seen the problems others are writing about. I think I would carry flood insurance if I lived in that development just to be safe.

I have driven through the development and the houses are pretty, but the lots are small. I think it will be very nice when all is said and done. Won't there be a grade school and some shops in the development itself? I like Rivery Legacy Park and we often go there on the weekends, so being close to it is a plus. I understand the development is supposed to extend all the way to Hwy 360. I would prefer to live as far away from the Industrial road side of things and build my house closer to 360, if possible.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM

Hi Milwaukeegirl, thank you for your feedback.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 AM

29,917 posts, read 34,517,946 times
New construction always sells but I believe it will be a hard resell. I have a problem taking a client to look at homes near the city dump and down the street from strip joints.

I'd rather take them North into nicer areas where I can in good faith recommend they buy a home.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:52 AM

9 posts, read 21,109 times
@ifew552, I would recommend you visit for yourself if you have the chance. Do not leave your decisions up to people who may have other agendas. I continue to see the same posters making statements that just haven't panned out. I may have decided not to buy here in Viridian had I read these posts prior, but find myself no longer able to remain quiet about it. With the technology and efforts going into the development, I have to ask the nay-sayers if they'd prefer the land stay vacant and undeveloped??

There are other threads I on this same subject, which I have responded in kind and will summarize here for you, too.

- "bars/clubs down the street". These bars/clubs sit in Fort Worth. Viridian is in Arlington. So, yes, Fort Worth needs to clean-up and develop that stretch of land they grabbed to reach the DFW Airport solely for tax purposes. These clubs have been around for years and as long as they have patronage, they will continue to exist. Pick any inner-city development and investigate what is nearby. You'll find hole-in-the-wall bars and clubs, liquor stores, etc.

- landfill smell. Yes, there have been a couple of occasions I experienced an odor while outside since living here. It hasn't been a knock-me-down, overbearing smell that some continue to post on these threads. I did see one stating it has gotten better since 2009, so perhaps some comments are from an "olden-days" perspective. Bottom line, technology is in place to remove or hide the landfill. If you experience any problems, I recommend complaining to Republic Services (Main Office :817-354-2300) or (Arlington Landfill | All-in-One Recycling & Trash Disposal). They have offered tours of the facility, too.

- trash trucks on Collins. There are many trucks that drive on Collins. If you experience any problems with a Republic Service vehicle (including ones losing loads as claimed in other posts), then I recommend to contact the number above. The trucks also have an 800 number painted on their sides.

- Property Tax Rate. The actual tax rate is the same as other communities 2.6644, plus a MMD 0.4481, which pays for the municipal improvements (SPECIAL DISTRICT LOCAL LAWS CODE CHAPTER 3861. VIRIDIAN MUNICIPAL MANAGEMENT DISTRICT). This includes the improvements for water run-off and lake development. Compare this to the additional taxes found in other near-by developments in Collin and Dallas Counties.

- HOA dues. Yes, as with many new developments, there is an HOA (Viridian HOA). The community will have a clubhouse and every home will be within a short walking distance of a common green area or park. These have to be maintained. If you feel it's excessive, then perhaps there are other areas without HOAs or ones with lower fees/less services.

- crappy location. relative to.....? The intent of the community development is once you get home, you have no need to go anywhere. There will be high-end retail and restaurants within walking distance.

- Trinity flooding. We had rains of about 11 inches in May of this year alone. This is the same amount of rain that caused the Fort Worth flood of 1949, which was preceded by the flood of 1922, 1908 and 1889. Yes, I had to go back that far. Where would Fort Worth be had the area not been developed and lakes created to prevent flooding? The same applies for the Viridian area. It was undeveloped, the area was designed to collect water. It's being developed now to channel and direct water.

I highly recommend to visit the developers -- offices in the mobile homes near the Fire Department on the west side of Collins. They will be more than happy to meet with you and discuss their plans.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 PM

29,917 posts, read 34,517,946 times
Viridian...... you read like you work for one of the builders with all your promotion.

I'm a native to the area, worked in North Arlington and very familiar with the situation in that valley.

No way would most agents who know the area recommend Viridian to one of our good clients.
The dump has been there for 30 years, the sewage treatment plant is near and strong and just 1 mile north is the strip clubs and rough areas. The schools are mediocre at best.

Sorry but overall resale will be pretty tough for the folks who have bought there.
I certainly have no agenda and cannot recommend to one of my clients.

I'd rather see them in Keller, Grapevine, Flower Mound that does not have these problems.

I guess if I bought there, I'd defend my purchase also.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 21,109 times
@Rakin, I have been transparent. I own a home in Viridian and have come across some posts lacking accuracy and pushing the boundaries of questionable intent (i.e. "sewage treatment plant is near and strong"). Let's not be threatened by offering readers to become more educated.

Viridian is a 10 year community plan (into it only 2 years right now). Huffines is the developers (Viridian - Huffines Communities). As a buyer in this area I, of course, have a vested interest and have weighed all the items you have noted; as the many others who have also purchased here. I would like to offer the same to anyone interested.

Perhaps you could produce a link to school rankings to back-up your "mediocre" assessment. And, does your assessment consider all private schools within 20 miles?

Each of these areas you noted has their own negatives, too. I would hope to see your equally vitriolic posts in those community's threads. That is, if they have no financial bearing on your profession as is apparent with the Viridian development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas