U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:33 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,668,326 times

Advertisements

Am I the first to correct the spelling of the name of the fellow referred to in the OP's original post? Not "Ferretti", but rather "Fieri".

Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 PM

231 posts, read 250,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Funny, I go out just about every weekend Im here and I can count the number of people who look like that on one hand per night. When were you living here, 1995?
Clearly someone from 2007 thought the same thing. So much so that they wrote and published an extensive article about it.

Quote:
Addison isnt like that either. You have your show offs in Uptown, but the crowd has become pretty diverse. There isnt one type of person that lives here/goes out here.
You sound like page 3 of the story:

Quote:
I approach confidently, unknowingly exuding threatening levels of sass. I peek my head into their circle and muster up all the sugary-sweetness I have. "Hey, guys, can I ask you a question?"

The alpha male, sunglasses perched on his forehead, sizes me up. "What's up, babe?"

"Have you guys ever heard the term '$30,000 millionaire'?"

I watch as the guys catch each others' eyes.

"Yeah, man, they're all over this place!" the one in the striped shirt says.

"This place is packed with them," another assures me, leaning in and assaulting my olfactory nerves with cologne.

"Do you guys know any?" I ask, looking from the loafers to button-down to hair gel on each one.

"No!"

"Nah."

"Uh-uh."

The alpha male simply shakes his head.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:40 PM

2,119 posts, read 5,486,895 times
Nothing wrong with cowboy boots, jeans, and an untucked dress shirt. Thats pretty normal.

I dont know why anyone would like to go to one of those lounges in downtown or uptown. I hate places like that. Expensive drinks and loud music is not my cup of tea. If I go downtown/uptown I go somewhere like the loon where its more low key.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,333,094 times
Quote:
Addison isnt like that either. You have your show offs in Uptown, but the crowd has become pretty diverse. There isnt one type of person that lives here/goes out here.
The other day Uptown was White washed, now its diverse?

To the OP, Guy's platinum blonde hair spikes were all the rage...14 years ago. It was started by Billy Idol in the 80's & revived by the Rave/Kandy Kid crowd of the late 90's/early 2000's & was mostly worn by Asians & Caucasians. I even used to sport that same look.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-18-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
We went through this in the other thread. It can be both. Ive seen it whitewashed (Kung Fu Saloon not too long ago) and Ive seen it be a melting pot (Prime Bar last weekend).

The bottom line is the city and area are way too diverse to be stereotyped into one type of person. You cant point to a person and say "Everyone (or even most people) in Dallas look like this". Its moronic.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:16 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
The last time I went out in Addison was about three years ago. I used to have this friend (RIP) who would loudly exclaim, "I don't DO Addison". I am still laughing...

Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
From that $30k millionaire article from the Dallas Observer:

Quote:
Tech, babe!" he says. "It's my alma mater." I sympathize. As a Longhorn fan, I say, I love to see Oklahoma lose any which way. "Did you go to UT?" he asks. I didn't, I admit. I went to NYU. No football there. But UT's my surrogate team. He rolls his eyes.
I like this quote from that article. It turns out the author is the front-running fake, not any of the people she actually talks to.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:39 PM

743 posts, read 1,062,770 times
Quote:
Gee, I never knew I looked like that.

Youve either never been here or never spent significant time outside of small sections of Uptown. Youre dealing with a very diverse city.

Its a very small group of people who dress like that. Hell, most of Dallas is Mexican, does that mean that we can say that everyone in Dallas listen to Norteno, eats Tacos, and speaks Spanish?
I'm pretty sure everyone in Dallas eats tacos. (or should at least!)

Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 PM

231 posts, read 250,011 times
Quote:
I wouldnt like you no matter where you shop. I dont like people who steretype millions of people into being one thing.
Are you an individual with unequal traits and characteristics? Do you not like being put into a box because you are a unique person who is special? Can nobody tell you what to do because of your individual freedoms and liberties?

Do you like the words different, rare, matchless, exclusive, special, original? Do you hate being called common, normal, plain, average, ordinary?

You may just be...an American!
Attached Thumbnails
The Dallas male look-america-.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 PM

974 posts, read 1,758,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
I was always told they were only worth $30,000.
I must've adjusted the amount to $35K for inflation. BTW... the Dallas Observer link keeps getting blocked by my Malware as it seems to have some bad virus mojo connected with it ...FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or