U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,238,437 times

Advertisements

I met my friend, he was staying in the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine because he's a member of some Global Networking meeting. We didn't really get a chance to hang in Dallas like I planned, but I was able to hit Dallas and show him alot of key areas.

At his hotel, there was already a member's party/social gathering going on, so we kindof waisted a little time I had planned meeting and greeting some of his associates. We didn't end up leaving for downtown Dallas until about 10:15p. I drove him through downtown, victory, and saw the recent traffic surrounding Klyde Warren, but parking was a nightmare. We parked at the Target right behind Cityplace and we rode the train/subway from there. On our way down to the train, he was like " Damn this sh%% goes deep! It's like Brooklyn, N-Y-C style." We rode the train and got off at AA Center. He mentioned he had heard of a bar called "6th Street Bar". We asked around since neither of us have GPS, and nobody knew where it was. They thought it was in Austin. We ended up just going to the club right at the bottom of the W hotels and chatted with a couple of hookers most of the night. It was a very nice, flashy bar and was very impressed. About an hour later, he just wanted to go back to the hotel because there was some after party going on so we ended up going back to the hotel and just drank up some more. We ended up partying in the

The next morning I left and went back to Dallas and did a little driving around for a few hours before I headed back to Houston. I went through Uptown and was just amazed at the amount of building they continue to do. There were alot of people just sitting outside on the patio just lounging, eating, drinking, or whatever. It seems that's what they do, they bunch alot of little patio bars together and it creates a nice little urban vibe. I was reminded of how jealous i was when first I saw the amount of mixed use/retail in the Uptown area. Knox/Henderson seems like a mini Richmond Strip. There were quite a few people out.

Sorry, i don't have much more of a review but what I gathered about Dallas's nightlife, primarily in Uptown/Victory, everything is so upscale, it almost feels like you're going partying in a skybox area at a basketball game. I like that. Everything is so lit up and flashy. I really don't know why Houston hasn't at least tried to follow suit with this. Houston seems so plain jane in comparison, but still very interesting. All in all, i had a very good time in Dallas. I have plans of coming back in the upcoming months and bringing my lady with me and we're really gonna hit the town. Although my friend hasn't come to Houston, i still felt good that I was able to take him around Dallas and show him how cool Texas can be. It's funny because when he made the Brooklyn/NYC subway style comment, I actually felt proud as if he was talking about my own city. And i was reminded how a little jealous I've always been that Houston doesn't have anything like that. That's funny how Texas pride works.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,616 times
Glad you and your friend had a good time.

But your friend is right, there is a 6th Street Bar in Dallas. So your out-of-town friend is hipper than all those clueless people you met on the streets of Dallas!

6th Street Bar | Uptown

Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,491,148 times
Neither of you had a smart phone?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 4,238,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Neither of you had a smart phone?
Nope. we both are cheap

Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Nope. we both are smart and don't feel the need to always keep up with the Jones'

I wish I could force myself.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,124,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Glad you and your friend had a good time.

But your friend is right, there is a 6th Street Bar in Dallas. So your out-of-town friend is hipper than all those clueless people you met on the streets of Dallas!

6th Street Bar | Uptown
The area where 6th Street bar is has a nice cluster of bars forming there. Seems like McKinney's bar scene is spilling over into other areas. The entire Uptown neighborhood has become a party area rather than just along the McKinney spine. Then just a mile or so behind there is where most of the gay bars are. I've gotten drunk at Primebar and walked to S4 before. lol, probably not the smartest idea.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,616 times
That's a pretty long walk.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,124,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
That's a pretty long walk.
I'd assume it was, but I don't remember it. lol

Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM

4,061 posts, read 5,189,398 times
thanks stoneclaw you did a good job. I love stuff like This!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or