Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 PM

98 posts, read 617,761 times

Advertisements

I just accepted position in southwest Dallas near duncanville road. I am not familiar with Dallas but did a bit of driving around the neighborhood where I will be working and have no intention upon finding housing in that area. It looks really unsafe.My new boss told me she lives in Arlington TX which I assume is not far away.

My only concern is that it has to be a safe area, preferably gated apartment community and within a 45 min commute. The max I want to spend is around $950. Any cities I want to avoid or the best to possibly look in? I'm in my mid 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 04:05 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,465,220 times
Definitely a smart choice to cross Duncanville off your list! You need to also cross Arlington off your list! It's cheap for a reason, and going down hill fast, just like all the suburbs with low-rent slums. The schools are awful, it's not close to your job, and there is nothing there to attract young proffesionals.

Focus your search on Dallas proper specifically these zipcodes: (75219, 75201, 75204, 75207) which include Downtown, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, and the Design District. You have a good budget to find a safe building that offers great amenities, safety, gated entry, and preferable garage parking. These areas are the most walkable in all of North Texas! Uptown is by far the best area to meet others in their 30's. Lots of people walking around, and mingling keep crime away. Good luck on the move

Old 04-20-2013, 05:20 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,698,662 times
I will disagree with Ronnie. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the south part of Arlington. In fact, it's one of the fastest-growing parts of the metroplex. Yes, those areas do tend to attract more families than the areas he mentions, but it's far from a slum! South Grand Prairie, south Arlington, Mansfield and Cedar Hill are all very safe and desirable areas to live and have nice apartments to offer in your price range.

Uptown and the areas he mentioned are nice, but you won't find much there in your budget, and you will have a long commute. If you decide to go there on the weekends to party, that's fine.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:49 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,084,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillion3147 View Post
I just accepted position in southwest Dallas near duncanville road. I am not familiar with Dallas but did a bit of driving around the neighborhood where I will be working and have no intention upon finding housing in that area. It looks really unsafe.My new boss told me she lives in Arlington TX which I assume is not far away.

My only concern is that it has to be a safe area, preferably gated apartment community and within a 45 min commute. The max I want to spend is around $950. Any cities I want to avoid or the best to possibly look in? I'm in my mid 30's.
Is the $950 your maximum for a 1, 2, or 3 bedroom apartment? Knowing this would be very helpful.

Neither Arlington or Duncanville is a slum. What sets Duncanville apart from the nearby communities is the fact that it had its boom in the 1970s and 1980s and is nearly built out. The surrounding communities have plenty of room to develop and have a larger selection of newer built homes and apartments than Duncanville. The places ChristieP mentioned would all work and I would probably add DeSoto to the list of communities you might look in as well, since it isn't that far from your place of employment. Arlington is very large, so if you want to look there, I would focus on the areas near and just south of I-20. Venturing further into the city would dramatically increase your commute time as traffic congestion can get heavy in those areas.

There aren't many people on this forum who actually live in the southern suburbs and post regularly, and that makes our area more susceptible to blanket generalizations and statements, so please keep that in mind when reading the posts and threads on this forum. There are perfectly decent, safe neighborhoods in all of the southern suburbs that offer a good quality of life. If you have any other questions, just let us know.

Welcome to Texas

Last edited by Acntx; 04-20-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM

98 posts, read 617,761 times
Wow thanks for the replies. This gives me a good base to start off from. Thanks immensely. $950 is the max for a one bedroom I really want to spend for rent at this time. Gotta save some too. Besides in two years I may buy another car so saving a little is on my mind. Thanks again!

Last edited by amillion3147; 04-20-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Wow thanks for the replies. This gives me a good base to start off from. Thanks immensely. $950 is the max for a one bedroom I really want to spend for rent at this time. Gotta save some too. Besides in two years I may buy another car so saving a little is on my mind. Thanks again!
You shouldn't have any problem finding a nice one bedroom apartment within your stated range. Had you been looking for a two or three bedroom place, it would have been more of an issue, which is why I asked. Best of luck in your search and let us know when you find a place that meets your needs.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 AM

2,413 posts, read 3,465,220 times
Quote:
$850-$950 will work in all of the places I suggested, and it's worth it for a single person.

The suburbs they mentioned are all family oriented suburban sprawl at its worse. All of the negatives of that lifestyle, and none of the benefits. Most of those places don't have very good schools, they have high crime, and they don't have a clean cookie cutter look either. Cedar Hill and Mansfield are pretty, but terrible places to live for a young single person. The census statistics on city data will show that I'm right. Check age demographics, crime statistics, and housing values... Facts don't lie

Old 04-24-2013, 04:00 PM

To the OP: The bottom line is if you are looking for an area with nightlife and entertainment, look at the neighborhoods in Dallas proper. If you don't mind suburbia, then the places that I and the other posters recommended are fine. None of the places we mentioned are high crime or unsafe. If they actually dangerous, I highly doubt that these communities would have grown as much as they have. There are plenty of neighborhoods in this area that are nice, safe, and quiet, so to say otherwise is just another false generalization. I've been a member of this forum for nearly six years, so I'm used to having our decent communities looked down on by people who have never spent one night here, who have absolutely no experience with the schools, live in an entirely different region of DFW, and/or refuse to acknowledge the positive aspects and other reasons why people like myself have chosen to live here. I would just ask you to come to the area with an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas