Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,148 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are moving to the Dallas area from CA this summer from a top 5 school district. We are looking for a 9-12 high school for our 9th grader with around or under 1500 kids, but we actually care less about ranking than we do small class size . Our daughter has minor learning issues that require smaller classes and some special attention.

We are open to affordable private, including Catholic or Christian schools, but don't think she'd be competitive for schools like John Paul II in Plano. She is at best an average student and does not test well given her learning disability.

We need to be within a 20-25 minute drive from Plano for a club sport she plays. Our work will be in Downtown Dallas right off the 75.

We're hearing a lot about great local cities but have concerns: Allen (HS too big?), McKinney (we LOVE it here, but are the schools just OK?), Plano (don't want 9/10 - 11/12 system + too big schools), Frisco (too far from downtown?). And how do we know which school is best in each city, as there are several? (Our realtor has not been helpful on this)?

Any other cities we should look at? Any private schools you recommend?

Moving her in HS means we are willing to sacrifice our own needs such as drive time or yard size for the best educational environment for her. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Looking in 500-600K range. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,307 times
Have you liked into the Shelton School or I think it's called Windsor school? I believe both are aimed at children with learning differences. But I think they are just as pricy as the high-end private schools.

For Catholic schools, have you looked at Bishop Lynch (co-ed) or Bishop Dunne (co-ed). I think both are considered to be a bit warm, more relaxed, and slighly less academic than the premier Catholic schools (Ursuline and Jesuit). I have heard that Ursuline gives a ton of homework and I think has more academic pressure, and so that might not be the best environment for your daughter. Also, I think you might have a better shot of getting into BL or BD at this time of the year.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 15,307 times
I think the Plano high schools are uniformly considered excellent, however it could be a hard transition for your child. I think given the size of the schools, it can be quite cliquey, in the sense that your friend group depends on your extracurricular activites (i.e., orchestra vs. football vs. art/theater folks). If you don't fit in to one of those groups, then it might be harder coming in and making friends right away. At the same time, I think starting in 9th would be a lot easier than 11th.

I don't have much info on the academic experience your child would have in Plano schools. I know that for children who are competitive and academically gifted, there are a lot of opportunities. Not sure of what resources they have for learning disabled or children with learning challanges, but I worry that your daughter would slip through the cracks. I wonder if you'd have a better experience in a smaller school system (i.e., Allen, McKinney, or Frisco), with you advocating for your child, getting to know her teachers and counselors, and helping her actively in the transition process. The commute to downtown would be long, but there are people who do it.

I think there are other smaller religious schools that would be : less expensive than the Hockadays/St. Marks and also would offer the smaller class size that your daughter needs. Some possible options include Trinty Christian Academy, and I'm sure there are others out there, but I just don't know about them. One thing you should know is that the smaller Christian skills tend to be evangelical Christian, which may or may not be what you want. (As an example, we looked at Grace Academy for elementary, which has VERY small classes, but also has a strong evangelical Christian philosophy).

Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,148 times
Thank you kindly, I will look into these. We definitely don't want too evangelical. I've only talked to JPII which was not an academic fit. She is very social and was a cheerleader at her school this year, so I also need to make sure we aren't going overboard in the learning challenges area. She just needs some accommodations that she has an IEP for, but she wants a typical high school experience. She will be coming in to 10th grade, which isn't ideal, but she is actually excited about the change. Our school here is too academically rigorous for her, and because she is not severely challenged, she does fall through the cracks if we don't stay on top of everything. I know she will make friends in her club sport, so that's a plus. Any idea about the quality of McKinney schools? Any idea where I'd get more info from actual parents rather than the school website?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisapbs View Post
Thank you kindly, I will look into these. We definitely don't want too evangelical. I've only talked to JPII which was not an academic fit. She is very social and was a cheerleader at her school this year, so I also need to make sure we aren't going overboard in the learning challenges area. She just needs some accommodations that she has an IEP for, but she wants a typical high school experience. She will be coming in to 10th grade, which isn't ideal, but she is actually excited about the change. Our school here is too academically rigorous for her, and because she is not severely challenged, she does fall through the cracks if we don't stay on top of everything. I know she will make friends in her club sport, so that's a plus. Any idea about the quality of McKinney schools? Any idea where I'd get more info from actual parents rather than the school website?
I'll chime in more on Monday.

McKinney is likely too far north for you two to work anywhere near downtown - Allen too IMO.

If JPII feels too demanding Bishop Lynch (catholic coed) would be more so. As mentioned above Ursuline (catholic girls only) is a pressure cooker of homework, projects, speeches, presentations and old school studies, it's just plain difficult.

I'd reconsider Plano ISD. Not to hurt feelings, however, Prestonwood Baptist school has a small classes and a quiet dual track program. I'd rate the tougher track non-copetative with the same at the North Dallas Privates and the regular track well regular - it's quite religious as you might guess. Same with Trinity Christian.

Back to the catholic schools. Bishop Dunne would be worth a phone call if you could live in South Dallas or one of the southern burbs. Commuting south to north (downtown) and back can be quite easy.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMum View Post
Have you liked into the Shelton School or I think it's called Windsor school? I believe both are aimed at children with learning differences. But I think they are just as pricy as the high-end private schools.
Shelton and Winston are the two private schools best known for learning disabilities. They offer fine academics and are located in the North Dallas / Far North Dallas area.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
I would also look into Richardson public schools. They're very good, smaller than the Plano schools, and the city sits ideally for you in between Plano and downtown.

You don't mention whether you are interested in schools specifically targeted at LD kids like Shelton, but if you are, I would also look into Dallas Academy. They are growing by leaps and bounds.

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
+1 on Shelton. Not terribly far from Plano, either. Yes, it's a LD school, but (partially) for the rich and famous. For example, one of the grandchildren of the owner of the Dallas Cowboys attends there. Most of the graduates go on to attend college. My neighbor's kid (ADHD and dyslexia) has attended there for years. It's been a wonderful experience for him.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 PM

350 posts, read 749,143 times
I'm also going to join the crowd recomending taking a look at Shelton. It may or may not be a good fit for your daughter, but it does a good job of serving its student body. I've only heard good things about it.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,255 times
You should move to Richardson/North Dallas zoned JJ Pearce. Bishop Dune, Bishop Lynch, and Dallas Academy are all too far from Plano for you. You don't want to spend your life on the highway. Also, that highway, it's Central, not "the 75".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas