U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 AM

40 posts, read 129,418 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, hope you are all well

So we move out to Dallas next month and are so very excited! We've been looking at homes to rent and I noticed that most houses in Texas (or parts of it) have the master bedroom downstairs, something you never really see in London. Anyway, we finally found a lovely place in Plano,75075. Beautiful, fresh new interior, fantastically located, safe area (from what I've found doing my research). And again, the master bedroom is downstairs. I was extremely dubious about this as we have 2.5 year old twins and I was uncomfortable thinking that we would be on another level to them. We couldn't pass up the house because it has everything we need and with most houses having the master bedroom downstairs it could have been a very long process trying to find a place we liked with all we wanted and needed with the master upstairs. I just put it into my head that we would take a slightly smaller bedroom upstairs near the kids and leave the master downstairs for guests.

I haven't seen the place in the flesh as I'm still in london, my husband went to view at as he's been living in Dallas for the past few months to organise the business and everything else before we arrive. He's said that the 3 bedrooms upstairs are just not nearly big enough for us in terms of fitting our bed and all of our things. The master is substantially larger, as is the en suite and walk in wardrobe, and is perfect for us to fit all of our things. I thought about it and decided that if I put a safety gate on their door and have the baby monitor so I can hear them it will be fine.
But I've slept on it and its just not sitting comfortably with me at all. What if there's a burglery in the night? What if there's a fire? I'm a real worrier, so I suppose I'm maybe looking for some sort of reassurance and asking what others do in Dallas with younger children. Have you just taken a room upstairs to be near the kids? Or have you taken the downstairs master? How has it been not being near them? Am I being unnecessarily concerned about something which isn't really an issue?

Any replies would be very much appreciated

Last edited by Natalie_S; 04-21-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 AM

40 posts, read 129,418 times
Default Master bedroom downstairs, children upstairs?

Hi everyone, hope you are all well

So we move out to Dallas next month and are so very excited! We've been looking at homes to rent and I noticed that most houses in Dallas have the master bedroom downstairs, something you never really see in London. Anyway, we finally found a lovely place in Plano, 75075. Beautiful, fresh new interior, fantastically located, safe area (from what I've found doing my research). And again, the master bedroom is downstairs. I was extremely dubious about this as we have 2.5 year old twins and I was uncomfortable thinking that we would be on another level to them. We couldn't pass up the house because it has everything we need and with most houses having the master bedroom downstairs it could have been a very long process trying to find a place we liked with all we wanted and needed with the master upstairs. I just put it into my head that we would take a slightly smaller bedroom upstairs near the kids and leave the master downstairs for guests.

I haven't seen the place in the flesh as I'm still in london, my husband went to view at as he's been living in Dallas for the past few months to organise the business and everything else before we arrive. He's said that the 3 bedrooms upstairs are just not nearly big enough for us in terms of fitting our bed and all of our things. The master is substantially larger, as is the en suite and walk in wardrobe, and is perfect for us to fit all of our things. I thought about it and decided that if I put a safety gate on their door and have the baby monitor so I can hear them it will be fine.
But I've slept on it and its just not sitting comfortably with me at all. What if there's a burglery in the night? What if there's a fire? I'm a real worrier, so I suppose I'm maybe looking for some sort of reassurance and asking what others do in Dallas with younger children. Have you just taken a room upstairs to be near the kids? Or have you taken the downstairs master? How has it been not being near them? Am I being unnecessarily concerned about something which isn't really an issue?

Any replies would be very much appreciated

Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,900,557 times
I wouldn't have children as young as yours on a 2nd floor by themselves. . I would look for a home that has all the bedrooms on the same floor whether its the first or 2nd. Safety is the first priority and I wouldn't feel safe if there were on another floor, for all the reasons you listed.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Status: "There are better things ahead than behind. CS Lewis" (set 7 days ago)

65,057 posts, read 54,421,989 times
Put a baby gate on their door and get a baby monitor. Get a smoke detector. Heck, get an alarm system. Most newer two story homes in Texas have a downstairs master, so I'm pretty sure that a lot of people with small kids have the same issue.

I understand your worries though, as I am the mother of four. Let's be realistic though - the odds of either a fire or a burglary are both VERY low and can be lessened even further with a few simple precautions.

When my two girls were three and one, we lived in a home where their room was upstairs. It generally worked out very well. the only problem I had was that for awhile I had all their toys upstairs too. Now - it's one thing for them to SLEEP upstairs, in their room with a baby gate up. That worked fine. But what DIDN'T work fine was for them to go upstairs during the day to play, for a couple of reasons. First of all, the stairs were hardwood with no carpet. Both of them fell down a few stairs several times (nothing serious, no injuries but that just can't be good!). Secondly, they wanted to be downstairs around Mommy of course, so they would drag their toys down those stairs - talk about noise! And of course that wasn't good for the wood either. And finally, they could get into mischief up there roaming about by themselves. I needed to keep an eye on them.

The problem was easily solved. I created a play space for them downstairs and moved the baby gate to the bottom of the stairs during the day so they simply stayed downstairs all day.

Good luck! I bet your new home is lovely! Congrats on the move and all the exciting changes in your life. The folks on this Texas forum are very friendly and helpful and we willl do our best to answer any of your questions!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 AM

277 posts, read 636,946 times
We've had the same concerns as you when we first moved out here and bought our first home which was also a 2 story with MBR downstairs. Our crib converted into a bed and we had that in our bedroom until the kids were 4. By that age, they were happy to be in their own rooms cause we painted and designed it to be their own space.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 AM

2,974 posts, read 9,065,972 times
I feel the same as you do. I would never have my bedroom on the first floor while my children are on the second floor - most especially toddlers.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 AM

252 posts, read 514,957 times
We never had an issue with the kids being upstairs and they were in their own rooms from about six months old. We had monitors in their room and a gate at the top of the stairs. If you are really uncomfortable with the idea, could you possibly just sleep in a guest room bed upstairs but do all your living in the downstairs master? As the kids get older its nice to have some separation.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 AM

574 posts, read 1,414,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndmom View Post
We never had an issue with the kids being upstairs and they were in their own rooms from about six months old. We had monitors in their room and a gate at the top of the stairs. If you are really uncomfortable with the idea, could you possibly just sleep in a guest room bed upstairs but do all your living in the downstairs master? As the kids get older its nice to have some separation.
If the house has everything else you need I say go for it, especially if you plan to be there long term! I like the above suggestion of a baby monitor and a gate at the stairs. Best of both worlds.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 AM

276 posts, read 503,925 times
If you cant find one with master up then look for a ranch for now, you'll be wanting to upgrade by the time kids are older. I can totally relate to your anxiety about leaving kids on another level. That is the becoming the norm now to have babies then put them upstairs for night and in daycare for the day.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,459,793 times
Personally, I would just find a way to make another upstairs bedroom work for now. Maybe you could keep some things in the downstairs master bedroom closet and still use that space for dressing and so forth and only actually sleep upstairs. That's just me and I am a worrywart too. Depending on how long you plan on being in that rental you could eventually move down to the master bedroom when they are older.

Years ago when house shopping, I actually passed up a place that had the same layout because my kids were little, but I later wished I'd just taken it because it wasn't long until they were old enough for it to not be an issue, if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas