Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

This doesnt make Dallas a world class city... heck we already were world class... new world class not the old fashioned too expensive cities of the old designs. So this is just another jewel in our crown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
This doesn't make a difference in the realm of world class.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I was going to say something about how people who live in "world-class" cities don't feel compelled to go on about that status. But, someone already disputed the idea, so I won't try to fight that battle. :-)

However (and I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool Houstonian), for Dallas, this library is a small contribution compared to the many other accolades one could put on a list. But, I will grant that it's a nice one. (By comparison, Houston couldn't get a presidential library out of Bush 41, that went to A&M.)

I dunno, I guess the reason I'm commenting on this is that we Texans can't seem to get beyond touting stuff in this way. I want to be kind to the people saying it, but to me, I think it makes us sound like we're desperate for outsiders to validate our sense of self esteem. Hopefully, we're working our way past that.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
Hahahaha....

Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Like him or not, the opening of the George W. Bush Presidential Center adds another jewel to the crown of Dallas, and in my honest opinion truly makes Dallas a World Class City!!
No.

I love Dallas, but it is a long way from World Class.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Look at all those world class cities!!!!!

Presidential library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Starkville, Mississippi
Fremont, Ohio
Quincy, Massachusetts
Independence, Missouri
Abilene, Kansas
Yorba Linda, California
West Branch, Iowa
my thoughts exactly.. i didnt realize College Station was a world class city. LOL. a city like Dallas shouldnt be boasting over the addition of a new library. its not much of a boost for a city the size of Dallas, but it is a big boost for SMU.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
No world class city talks about being world class.
What planet do you live on?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Arrow George W Bush Library

You also have to consider this is the George W Bush Library. A very controversial and divisive personality of the recent past. The value of this library on your cities image will depend a lot on how history treats the man whos name the library bares. The bigger deal you make of it, the more his legacy will be identified with Dallas. So I suppose many of you will try the best you can to rehabilitate his legacy, since it, and your cities image, will be joined at the hip, to a certian extent, for a long time to come..

41's legacy is basically set at this point, and of course he is near the end of his life. But 43 will probably be around for a very long time. Do you accept his legacy ? Let the revisionist history begin.....

Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Judging by the posts, Houston is SUPER jealous...

Leave it to Dallas to show the world a touch of class.

http://www.wfaa.com/video?id=2046704...6&ref=rcvidmod

Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Haha, I knew someone would try to turn this into a Houston vs Dallas thing. Houston doesnt need a silly library to be world class, it already is a world class city. Why would the bigger city with the better university be jealous of a library featuring the mediocracy that is George W. Bush? Houston is a more liberal city (they have a lesbian mayor after all), so I dont think a library for Bush would of suited it as well. Not that Houston even made an attempt at getting the library anyways...
Its a great thing for SMU and should help out the school, I just dont see it having much of an impact on the city itself. Your crazy if you think a presidential library would make New York City any more of a city than it already is.. either your overstating the importance of this library, or your not giving the city of Dallas enough credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas