U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
 
14 posts, read 45,926 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

We are looking for our next home (400 - 550k) and really like the Disney streets. Unfortunately, nothing that suits us is available right now. We decided to expand our search a little and found some great homes in the bird streets (Robin Rd). We ventured out and drove past them thinking that maybe people were moving because of the air traffic from Love Field. While that was something we noticed out there, what was more concerning was the "crime watch" signs in front of A LOT of the houses. We even saw a crime watch patrol car strolling through. One of the adorable houses for sale had some unsavory neighbors and I'm sure that particular home is going to have a hard time selling just because of their neighbors. Such a shame.

Can any local residents tell me what is going on over there? Also, how does the crime rate compare between the two areas? We sold our house very quickly and now there is nothing coming up on the market for us to buy. We are having our stuff packed up and put in storage in a few weeks while we stay at my husband's parents house until something comes on the market Will there be a influx of houses hit the market once school gets out?

Any advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM
 
11,960 posts, read 22,269,325 times
Reputation: 10690
Disney Streets are definitely a better location than the Bird Streets. Robin Road is beautiful (long-time resident & Dallas power realtor Ellen Terry has lived there for years!), but it is a little too close to the unsavory neighborhood tucked between Bird Streets & Love Field. I would prefer to have Inwood or Lovers as an extra "buffer" between my neighborhood & that one. Aside from Robin Road, the rest of the Bird Streets were rather neglected until the past 5-10 years when it became a hot rehab & flip neighborhood. I think that explains why the house you drove by still has unsavory neighbors; it hasn't been flipped yet!

As for spotting a crime patrol car, I wouldn't think much about it. The neighborhood may have a voluntary HOA that hires off-duty DPD patrol. Greenway Parks across Inwood does that, as do quite a few other Dallas neighborhoods. Same thing with the yard signs.

I prefer Disney Streets bevause it's a larger, more cohesive neighborhood vs a nice "pocket" like Bird Streets. Really, there are so many neighborhoods between Northwest Hwy / Marsh/ 635 / 75 that could meet your budget & private school location needs. Have you looked at the neighborhood just west of ESD? We have several friends who have bought in your range over there & love it. The neighborhood just west of Hockaday is also great!

I don't think the housing market is going to improve anytime soon with regards to increased inventory quantities. The big spring market starts mid-March so we're in the thick of it. Doesn't help that about 30% of home sales are "hip pocket" / out of MLS and the rest are selling within 2 hours of hitting MLS. Hopefully your realtor is well-connected in the area you're looking in & is working her network constantly for upcoming listings. Without that kind of effort, it's going to be difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM
 
14 posts, read 45,926 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Disney Streets are definitely a better location than the Bird Streets. Robin Road is beautiful (long-time resident & Dallas power realtor Ellen Terry has lived there for years!), but it is a little too close to the unsavory neighborhood tucked between Bird Streets & Love Field. I would prefer to have Inwood or Lovers as an extra "buffer" between my neighborhood & that one. Aside from Robin Road, the rest of the Bird Streets were rather neglected until the past 5-10 years when it became a hot rehab & flip neighborhood. I think that explains why the house you drove by still has unsavory neighbors; it hasn't been flipped yet!

As for spotting a crime patrol car, I wouldn't think much about it. The neighborhood may have a voluntary HOA that hires off-duty DPD patrol. Greenway Parks across Inwood does that, as do quite a few other Dallas neighborhoods. Same thing with the yard signs.

I prefer Disney Streets bevause it's a larger, more cohesive neighborhood vs a nice "pocket" like Bird Streets. Really, there are so many neighborhoods between Northwest Hwy / Marsh/ 635 / 75 that could meet your budget & private school location needs. Have you looked at the neighborhood just west of ESD? We have several friends who have bought in your range over there & love it. The neighborhood just west of Hockaday is also great!

I don't think the housing market is going to improve anytime soon with regards to increased inventory quantities. The big spring market starts mid-March so we're in the thick of it. Doesn't help that about 30% of home sales are "hip pocket" / out of MLS and the rest are selling within 2 hours of hitting MLS. Hopefully your realtor is well-connected in the area you're looking in & is working her network constantly for upcoming listings. Without that kind of effort, it's going to be difficult.
Thank you TurtleCreek80, you are always a wealth of good information. We would really prefer the Disney Streets or but are starting to panic as we check Redfin every few hours each day and nothing good is coming up. About a month ago we saw 3 wonderful homes that were pending within one day of hitting MLS. (We hadn't listed and sold our home yet.) But since then, absolutely nothing...

Love the areas you mentioned west of ESD and west of Hockaday - are those 75229 or 75230? The neighborhoods you mentioned between Northwest Hwy / Marsh / 635 / 75 are those 75230, 75244 or 75225? So far, we have been checking all of those zip codes multiple times a day. We expanded to 75209 for a moment which is when we came across Robin Rd, but ideally we would like to be closer to our son's school than that.

Could you explain a little more about how the 30% of houses are going for "hip pocket" out of MLS? This has been my suspicion all along, but my husband disagrees. He thinks that it is in the sellers best interest to list on MLS in order to get top dollar. He thinks that many of the deals that go through prior to going on MLS are circumstantial based on different networks and it would be tough to find a relator who would be able to consistently get us access to updated/move-in ready houses in these areas.

Here is the situation with our relator: he is a top relator here in Frisco and a VERY good family friend. I think he really is an expert in our current area, and he does sell houses in northwest Dallas, but I know that area is not his specialty. Of course we can drop him at any time and are not obligated to use him when we buy - but I would hate to damage the relationship with our families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM
 
Location: 60093/75205
173 posts, read 337,948 times
Reputation: 156
If your agent is part of a larger network, he can refer you to an agent in your target area in the same firm and receive the referral from it as well. We recently went through this with a close friend and top agent in Uptown, who referred our daughter to another agent in his firm in the area in which they were looking and it worked out great for both agents, as well as our daughter who purchased a house within several hours of it being listed.

You need to have someone who is connected in the area you desire to purchase to have a chance with pocket listings, new listings, etc. in an area as "hot" as you are looking in. It is pretty much all about networking in the current market and without that, you are at a definite disadvantage. Perhaps a conversation with him would be beneficial, and quite frankly, if he is in Frisco, he may be happy not to be bothered with showing and following city listings, but will still profit from it. I know ours was relieved not to have to run to Plano to be showing houses all the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM
 
14 posts, read 45,926 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsone View Post
If your agent is part of a larger network, he can refer you to an agent in your target area in the same firm and receive the referral from it as well. We recently went through this with a close friend and top agent in Uptown, who referred our daughter to another agent in his firm in the area in which they were looking and it worked out great for both agents, as well as our daughter who purchased a house within several hours of it being listed.

You need to have someone who is connected in the area you desire to purchase to have a chance with pocket listings, new listings, etc. in an area as "hot" as you are looking in. It is pretty much all about networking in the current market and without that, you are at a definite disadvantage. Perhaps a conversation with him would be beneficial, and quite frankly, if he is in Frisco, he may be happy not to be bothered with showing and following city listings, but will still profit from it. I know ours was relieved not to have to run to Plano to be showing houses all the time!
Great idea - thank you for sharing your experience! Our relator is with ReMax, but it seems like all the listings we have liked have been listed through Briggs Freeman. We are going to discuss this with our relator tomorrow and just be open about the advice we've received and sharing our thoughts and concerns with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM
 
11,960 posts, read 22,269,325 times
Reputation: 10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfectmom View Post
Love the areas you mentioned west of ESD and west of Hockaday - are those 75229 or 75230? The neighborhoods you mentioned between Northwest Hwy / Marsh / 635 / 75 are those 75230, 75244 or 75225? So far, we have been checking all of those zip codes multiple times a day. We expanded to 75209 for a moment which is when we came across Robin Rd, but ideally we would like to be closer to our son's school than that.
West of Tollroad/ north of Walnut Hill is 75229. West of Tollroad/ Walnut Hill to Northwest Hwy is 75220.
East of Tollroad/ west of 75/ LBJ to Walnut Hill is 75230. Below that is 75225.

You may also want to look into Melshire Estates (Tollroad / Forrest / Preston/ Harvest Hill) which is well located for private schools, has a great community, and in your budget (at pretty good square footage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfectmom View Post
Could you explain a little more about how the 30% of houses are going for "hip pocket" out of MLS? This has been my suspicion all along, but my husband disagrees. He thinks that it is in the sellers best interest to list on MLS in order to get top dollar. He thinks that many of the deals that go through prior to going on MLS are circumstantial based on different networks and it would be tough to find a relator who would be able to consistently get us access to updated/move-in ready houses in these areas.

Here is the situation with our relator: he is a top relator here in Frisco and a VERY good family friend. I think he really is an expert in our current area, and he does sell houses in northwest Dallas, but I know that area is not his specialty. Of course we can drop him at any time and are not obligated to use him when we buy - but I would hate to damage the relationship with our families.
Bluntly, you need a new agent. This is not a market where unplugged agents are going to be successful. hopefully, he is a good enough family friend to realize he needs to step aside. I suggest your hubby read the below blog post for a eyes wide open look at the in-town market:

"Then there are the Hip Pockets, those private transactions that never go into MLS. Experts are saying that as many as 30% of sales are hip-pocket deals, and I have also heard that’s about the number going at each of the four top brokerages.....Agents are even instructing clients not to discuss potential listings they are “eyeing” publicly lest they be swooped up by another agent and buyer. It’s like, mum’s the word until that contract is signed and the ink is dry!"

http://www.candysdirt.com/2013/04/11...ent-right-now/

Trust me, the hip pockets are getting EVERY chance to get top dollar. Our friends just bought one in the Park Cities. An agent at a very prominent brokerage had the listing. My friends saw it the same day it was "circulated" as being available. Their agent worked for the same brokerage. There were something like 7 showings & 5 offers, it went for market value ($330ish/sf) and didn't have to sit on the open market at all. We saw a different Park Cities home (same general price point) on the 2nd day it was in MLS & I counted over 50 realtor sign-ins. I think it ended up being on mls for about 2 weeks before going into pending status, which prob means hundreds of people walked through. For the same financial payback as the hip pocket! You just don't have to have dozens of buyers see a house to get a deal done; just takes a small handful and what better way to find buyers than through fellow agents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,862 times
Reputation: 10
Default Where to Live

You might consider the Westhollow area of Dallas. It is directly West of Midway (includes the Disney Streets). It's North of Walnut Hill, South of LBJ, and East of Webb Chapel.

There are plenty of homes in your price range and this area is having somewhat of a renaissance itself because a lot of the original owners are aging out and new buyers are coming in and remodeling as well as investors flipping for resale. The property values in the area hold their value quite well.

You can find homes from $200K - over 1Million in this area of Dallas. Private schools are EVERYWHERE. And you can get a large lot, with mature trees in an established safe neighborhood for less.

Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS carefully

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-01-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top