Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
35 to 114 doesn't take an hour in rush hour. Maybe coming from grapevine, but not a reverse commute. DT Dallas & DT Grapevine are 23 miles apart. DT Fort Worth is 22 miles from DT Grapevine in worse traffic IMO.
Coming TO Grapevine in the mornings isn't a reverse commute. See Willsson's post. Traffic out of Dallas isn't so bad, but once you hit Belt Line, it gets really heavy going into Grapevine. I see this every day! I'm sailing southbound on 121 at 65 MPH, and the backup heading northbound at the 360 interchange is solid and about a mile long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
35 to 114 doesn't take an hour in rush hour. Maybe coming from grapevine, but not a reverse commute. DT Dallas & DT Grapevine are 23 miles apart. DT Fort Worth is 22 miles from DT Grapevine in worse traffic IMO.
What? Downtown Grapevine to downtown Ft Worth is comparatively a breeze. Just take 121 to Westpark (using the Harwood exit) to 10 to 121 to downtown. 121 backs up around I35W but otherwise it's a pretty smooth sailing. It's about 30 minutes to Belknap even in rush hour. 10 isn't controlled access but it's 55MPH almost the entire way, the Bell plant ensures you'll catch mostly green lights, and you never have to get on 183 or I820.

The problem with the Village Apts specifically it that it's at Loop 12 and 75. There's no way out of there that doesn't involve a lot of pain. You options are to cut down Loop 12 and deal with the low speed limits (sometimes as low as 35MPH) and lights, go down 75 to 183 and come back up, or take 75 north to 635 and deal with all the construction (that includes the area around the Galleria and the mess in Grapevine where I635 meets 121). A good friend of mine made a similar commute back when he was in law school last year from Grapevine to SMU. It was 45 minutes in non rush hour and an hour in rush hour. (FWIW, he took the 183 option.) It may only be 22 miles apart but it's a nasty 22 miles even moving opposite of the traffic.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Coming TO Grapevine in the mornings isn't a reverse commute. See Willsson's post. Traffic out of Dallas isn't so bad, but once you hit Belt Line, it gets really heavy going into Grapevine. I see this every day! I'm sailing southbound on 121 at 65 MPH, and the backup heading northbound at the 360 interchange is solid and about a mile long!
You hit belt line on 114 and the right lane and the exit back up but the left lane keeps moving. It gets bad when 114 and 121 merge. By then your in Grapevine.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 PM

19 posts, read 48,905 times
Default Grapevine Commute

As others have indicated, the real challenge in reaching Grapevine is going to be your living location and lack of easily accessible highways nearby. I live in the uptown area, fairly close to I35 and Oak Lawn, and regularly commute to the Alliance area. With quick access to I35 I can make it in 45 minute, an hour if rush hour or accidents are in play. The trick is to leave before about 7:15, otherwise the part of 114 where it drops to 2 lanes really clogs up.

I would suggest moving somewhere like Oak Lawn, Uptown, or the Medical District if you want to stay in the popular young urban areas. There are plenty of people who live in Grapevine itself and enjoy it. Las Colinas is an option to.

You could even try something like Bishop Arts. You can take Beckley to the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge and access 35 that way, or the new apartments being built further down Davis and take Hampton to Inwood to I35. I am not sure what those particular commute times would be like, but its an option I have not seen expressed (perhaps for a good reason).

The commute from from Grapevine to DT Dallas can get a little rough. Usually traffic begins to pile up around the 183/I35 merge. By the time it gets to around the Medical District/Oak Lawn exit, it can be really frustrating. I usually end up exiting to Mockingbird before that mess. It may or may not save time, but it seems less frustrating. The one piece of advice I always give people moving down here is: Avoid commuting on 635 whenever possible. With all the construction going on, any commute that threatens to push you onto 635 needs very serious considerations on cost/benefit.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlF View Post
The one piece of advice I always give people moving down here is: Avoid commuting on 635 whenever possible. With all the construction going on, any commute that threatens to push you onto 635 needs very serious considerations on cost/benefit.
Not only 635, I am noticing crazy traffic jam on south bound turnpike near 114 during evening hours. At the same time, there is not much traffic near signal on service road (161). Not sure what is going on there?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM

5 posts, read 29,485 times
Thanks for all the replies. I have no idea what to do. I just want to be in an area where there is stuff going on and I can be active--workout, run. Hate to think of being stuck in the wrong apartment complex and bored! But I agree, a 40 min to hour drive is not something I want either!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 AM

19,789 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pak6669 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have no idea what to do. I just want to be in an area where there is stuff going on and I can be active--workout, run. Hate to think of being stuck in the wrong apartment complex and bored! But I agree, a 40 min to hour drive is not something I want either!
As you've concluded Village Apts to Grapevine is not a viable commute for most folks. You simply should not do it - that commute would eat roughly two hours per day out of your life.

Look around Grapevine first, it's a really cool town.

Last edited by EDS_; 05-08-2013 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
As you've concluded Village Apts to Grapevine is not a viable commute for most folks. You simply should not do it - that commute would eat roughly two hours per day out of your life.

Look around Grapevine first, it's really cool town.
For someone his age? Eh...not sure.

Addison might be a doable compromise, though the commute still wouldn't be short by any means.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,880 times
I live just east of the Village (I pass it on the way) and drive to DFW every week.

In the morning I take NW Hwy to 114 to the DFW north entry. Grapevine is just one exit further. If I leave before 6:30 AM I can make it in 25 minutes. If I leave later (7-8 AM) it takes about 40 minutes.

Coming home if I leave the airport by 3:30 PM it's about 30 minutes home. Leaving around 5 PM takes about 50 minutes.

Bottom line if you are able/willing to go in early and leave early than your commute should be less than 35 minutes. If you are going in the teeth of rush hour than it's going to be 45-50 minutes in the morning and an hour home.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:04 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Maybe the thing to do is to get a weekly rental, give the route a try, get the lay of the land then decide on an apartment. If you're bringing a Haul-A with stuff you might be able to get a month of free storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas