Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the beauty of the Metroplex underrated?
Yes, definitely! 22 32.84%
No, not at all 23 34.33%
Somewhat, not entirely 22 32.84%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM

216 posts, read 442,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I prefer natural beauty to Dallas's lipstick-on-a-pig beauty. Sure, some parks and landscapes are very pretty...but they are all fake, and most are high-maintenance. They must be created because Dallas's own landscape is so flat and dull, and the city itself is ugly.

Feel free to disagree. Doesn't matter to me either way; we're all entitled to our opinions.
I do disagree, and that's ok. Because as you said, we're entitled to our opinions.

I don't think anyone has claimed the North Texas prairie takes their breath away. I sure didn't. It's boring, plain, and uninspiring. But by your measuring stick, you must find most big cities in the U.S. ugly, including Chicago, New York City, Washington, Boston, and Philadelphia among others seeing as how they are mostly flat and are also concrete jungles built from the ground up. Are these cities "lipstick-on-a-pig" as well? My only point was that I think the city itself and many of its neighborhoods are aesthetically pleasing to me. Feel free to disagree. No, Dallas's lower middle class and poorer areas are not gorgeous, but you could say that about literally any city. However, I find that not all, but the majority of areas from downtown/uptown north, west of the White Rock area, and east of Lemon/Midway to have their own "manufactured" beauty. They are clean and taken care of by the city and its residents. There are thick, wooded neighborhoods on what used to be treeless prairies that have matured over decades. There are even beautiful pockets in the mostly poorer areas of Dallas south of 30. And lastly, I find that there are plenty of suburbs in the Dallas area outside of the city limits that I feel look very nice as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,265,418 times
I found Dallas to be quite nice looking. Well at least the areas we visited. It seems clean too compared to all the trash and litter we see here in NJ along the roads. My husband enjoyed the city itself. Really found it nice and this is coming from a guy who works in NYC.

Personally I enjoy the prairie look but haven't seen northern Texas. Our drive from Houston to Dallas was very nice. I really enjoyed the scenery...found it peaceful.

Can't wait to move to your state next month. The whole family is so excited.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,841,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I found Dallas to be quite nice looking. Well at least the areas we visited. It seems clean too compared to all the trash and litter we see here in NJ along the roads. My husband enjoyed the city itself. Really found it nice and this is coming from a guy who works in NYC.

Personally I enjoy the prairie look but haven't seen northern Texas. Our drive from Houston to Dallas was very nice. I really enjoyed the scenery...found it peaceful.

Can't wait to move to your state next month. The whole family is so excited.
Welcome to Texas! Hope that all goes well for you.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
I do disagree, and that's ok. Because as you said, we're entitled to our opinions.

I don't think anyone has claimed the North Texas prairie takes their breath away. I sure didn't. It's boring, plain, and uninspiring. But by your measuring stick, you must find most big cities in the U.S. ugly, including Chicago, New York City, Washington, Boston, and Philadelphia among others seeing as how they are mostly flat and are also concrete jungles built from the ground up. Are these cities "lipstick-on-a-pig" as well? My only point was that I think the city itself and many of its neighborhoods are aesthetically pleasing to me. Feel free to disagree. No, Dallas's lower middle class and poorer areas are not gorgeous, but you could say that about literally any city. However, I find that not all, but the majority of areas from downtown/uptown north, west of the White Rock area, and east of Lemon/Midway to have their own "manufactured" beauty. They are clean and taken care of by the city and its residents. There are thick, wooded neighborhoods on what used to be treeless prairies that have matured over decades. There are even beautiful pockets in the mostly poorer areas of Dallas south of 30. And lastly, I find that there are plenty of suburbs in the Dallas area outside of the city limits that I feel look very nice as well.
A lot of US big cities are unattractive but they at least have some areas that are pretty, and some have historical charm or globally-recognized landmarks that distract from the ugly.

Even 'alpha' cities like London and Paris have plenty of ugly parts, but the cities are still very attractive. At least to me they are. I think it has to do not just with the style of architecture, but the consistency of it. There's a harmony there, and even in parts of New York, Boston, and Philadelphia (and New Orleans for that matter) that is lacking in Dallas.

Austin and San Diego are gorgeous, but in a very different way. They're architecturally boring, but the natural beauty of the landscape more than makes up for it.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
Quote:
I prefer natural beauty to Dallas's lipstick-on-a-pig beauty. Sure, some parks and landscapes are very pretty...but they are all fake, and most are high-maintenance. They must be created because Dallas's own landscape is so flat and dull, and the city itself is ugly.
xS☺Be: this was what got my dander up...

Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
xS☺Be: this was what got my dander up...
Dander up all you like. Beauty is subjective.

People magazine thinks Gwyneth Paltrow is the world's most beautiful woman. I think she has a face like a bag of spanners.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,627,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post

Chicago's landscape is as boring as Dallas, but it does have Lake Michigan to provide something, and architecturally it is one of the most impressive cities in the country. Chicago's burbs, however, are for the most part every bit as boring and uninspiring as Dallas' (and this comes from someone who moved to Dallas after over a decade in those Chicago 'burbs).

As I've noted, my favorite cities in the US are Portland Oregon and San Francisco, so you can imagine the type of city I find most attractive. Sure, DFW has some objectively pretty spots, the Metroplex is a huge area and all, but in comparison to Portland, it's notsomuch

THAT SAID, different people value different things in a city. Portland has its flaws, to be sure (in another thread I noted that Portland is a third-rate sports city, and that may be charitable). There are many many items that people look at in deciding where to live. In addition, even "natural beauty" varies a bit from person to person, and what some people may find stark others may find exhilarating (as noted, Dallas has some "Big Sky" going on in places which is cool in its own way).

It's Dallas. As I say to people in any city: Like it for what it is and enjoy it, don't try to pretend it's something it's not. I can't say I've always followed that advice.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM

281 posts, read 641,354 times
Well, I live next to what some consider one of the most beautiful areas of the country, the Sierra Nevadas and Lake Tahoe. I think people will find beauty if they want to, personally I am tired of the scenery here because due to the mountains and outdoor activities Reno hasn't bothered with creating anything else to do here except gamble. Growing up here I am tired of it so when I look at Dallas I just see a huge, open, beautiful area full of green and trees and a city that takes pride in its' area! I love that there are multiple sculptures in parks and shopping areas everywhere, I think the parks are beautiful whether they are man-made or not doesn't matter, what matters is the town and whole state takes pride in it's towns and neighborhoods. I love Dallas and cannot wait to get there

Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 AM

370 posts, read 860,347 times
i never liked this argument that beauty is subjective. Beauty is somewhat subjective.

While I dont think Gwyneth Paltrow is the most beautiful and i dont care for her, she is well above average in terms of looks. There are general standards for what is attractive and what isnt, which leaves room for individual tastes.

The same goes for places. Most people find Hawaii beaches more beautful than Galveston because there is a general standard for beauty. Or that San Francisco is more beautiful than Dallas.

I dont see why its a big deal to say Dallas isnt a physically beautiful place. People live there for a myriad of other reasons. If you listed the top 10 reasons you lived in dallas, beauty wouldnt crack the top 7-8..

Quote:
Dander up all you like. Beauty is subjective.

People magazine thinks Gwyneth Paltrow is the world's most beautiful woman. I think she has a face like a bag of spanners.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM

281 posts, read 641,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
i never liked this argument that beauty is subjective. Beauty is somewhat subjective.

While I dont think Gwyneth Paltrow is the most beautiful and i dont care for her, she is well above average in terms of looks. There are general standards for what is attractive and what isnt, which leaves room for individual tastes.

The same goes for places. Most people find Hawaii beaches more beautful than Galveston because there is a general standard for beauty. Or that San Francisco is more beautiful than Dallas.

I dont see why its a big deal to say Dallas isnt a physically beautiful place. People live there for a myriad of other reasons. If you listed the top 10 reasons you lived in dallas, beauty wouldnt crack the top 7-8..
^Agreed...if I were going on beauty alone it would be San Francisco or Seattle all the way...But I think when we live in or want to live in a particular area we find the beauty in it to help us feel good about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas