Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 PM

160 posts, read 430,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Personally, I would go out and confront the kids and have them take me home to their parents. That used to scare the crap out of kids...and if they arent neighborhood kids, I bet they will never come in your area again!
I respectfully disagree.....if these are 12+ year olds, I would take pictures and document it and call the neighbors to a meeting. Maybe involve the Police Department. "We have a problem, here it is, lets come to a solution."

In Salt Lake, some "kid" just punched a referree who died from his injuries.

20 years ago, you could talk to kids and chastise them, and most times, problem solved. These days, just ain't the same.

Christie, you have some great posts on this forum, this is just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,839,770 times
I think that taking their photo is a great idea.

If you antagonize them directly, they might retaliate by robbing your house or garage. You never know with kids/people these days. If you can identify them, then you have someplace to start if something does happen to your place/stuff.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,725,940 times
If they are in a garage, then you should call the police. That is at minimum trespassing and worst, they are thieves. Call 911 and report a possible robbery in progress.

If something goes really bad and you run into one in your house one night, then you will have established a paper trail.

Call the police.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 AM

794 posts, read 1,664,432 times
You were looking for houses? This time around buy in suburbs.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 AM

681 posts, read 1,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post
I respectfully disagree.....if these are 12+ year olds, I would take pictures and document it and call the neighbors to a meeting. Maybe involve the Police Department. "We have a problem, here it is, lets come to a solution."

20 years ago, you could talk to kids and chastise them, and most times, problem solved. These days, just ain't the same.

I agree with bills point here...these days kids can be so out of control and defiant against adults or any form of authority; that once these kids are amongst their peers all of a sudden they all become these big bad tough guys.

I'd think carefully of how I would approach/confront these kids as the last thing I would want them to know is where I live or what kinda car I drove in order to prevent retaliation.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,117,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I agree with bills point here...these days kids can be so out of control and defiant against adults or any form of authority; that once these kids are amongst their peers all of a sudden they all become these big bad tough guys.

I'd think carefully of how I would approach/confront these kids as the last thing I would want them to know is where I live or what kinda car I drove in order to prevent retaliation.
I agree with both of these.

Taking pictures is only a good idea if the kids don't see you doing it.

Personally, I would just drop a dime on them and be done with it.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,695,550 times
Wow!! I guess times really have changed. As a non-parent, I guess I'm just a little more hesitant to call the police on someone's kids and then fear the wrath of the parents for "getting my kid in trouble."

Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,438,535 times
The second set of kids came walking out from behind my alley and into the neighbors garage. They didn't even see me so I made a whistling noise to let them knew I was standing right there. One tried to hide and then they all started walking out. The largest one(probably 12-15 years old @ 180lbs +) tried yelling hey hey hey at me in a lower tone of voice I guess to see if I was going to be scared or something. I wouldn't have felt comfortable approaching the "kids" unarmed.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,029,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
This is three blocks from the suburb of University Park.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,438,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
This is three blocks from the suburb of University Park.
Exactly. When I lived in Plano my car was broken into twice in the matter of 6 months. And that was in west plano. My parents have had their house broken into and cars broken into in Highland Park. There is crime everywhere. The severity and likelihood of the crime is what changes per area. The zip code I reside in has a very low overall crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas