Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:54 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,681,949 times

Advertisements

This has got to be a joke. I can tell you that Chicago was a more involved sports city than Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Detroit is the best sports town in America. Southern and western cities shouldn't even be considered because most of those places are comprised largely of transplants who still support teams from elsewhere...... hence, their stadiums are always half filled with fans wearing the opponents colors.
That's bogus.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
One other random item - sports rivalries. "Newer" franchises lacking in history need time to build up those ferocious "rival" teams which attract everyone's attention even in bad years.

This came to mind as the Red Wings upset the Anaheim Ducks, setting up a playoff series against my beloved Blackhawks. I don't care if they're a 7 seed, Hawks-Wings is ALWAYS a tough battle.

In Dallas you've got Cowboys-Redskins and Cowboys-Giants, but other than some intrastate bragging rights vs. Houston/San Antonio teams, are there other intense rivalries in the other sports? (FWIW, back in the day Hawks-North Stars evolved into a good rivalry, but now that you guys are in Dallas that's gone)

I know that all of this is different than the focus of the article posted by the OP.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
After watching the Rangers stomp Houston yesterday, I must say, the bar I was in seemed to have some serious Rangers fans.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What a joke. The Dallas Cowboys aren't even located in Dallas. And the Rangers located their stadium in an equally idiotic location. No city that moves half it's pro teams to another city should be even be considered.
Tell that to the New York.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:10 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
What a joke. The Dallas Cowboys aren't even located in Dallas. And the Rangers located their stadium in an equally idiotic location. No city that moves half it's pro teams to another city should be even be considered.
^ True. Would've been nice to see Dallas' most famous asset actually playing at Jerry World in Dallas.

While I'd love to see the Rangers playing in a DT Dallas stadium someday; their namesake (Texas) lends to a regional and statewide draw. Arlington works for them and for summertime fans who like to make a weekend out of going to Six Flags or Hurricane Harbor then catch a game.

The most idiotic thing about Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is that it's in blazing hot North Texas and doesn't have at least a retractable roof.

Last edited by First24; 05-13-2013 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Detroit is the best sports town in America. Southern and western cities shouldn't even be considered because most of those places are comprised largely of transplants who still support teams from elsewhere...... hence, their stadiums are always half filled with fans wearing the opponents colors.
That's true for Atlanta and Miami. That's not true for Dallas.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ True. Would've been nice to see Dallas' most famous asset actually playing at Jerry World in Dallas.

While I'd love to see the Rangers playing in a DT Dallas stadium someday; their namesake (Texas) lends to a regional and statewide draw. Arlington works them and for summertime fans who like to make a weekend out of going to Six Flags or Hurricane Harbor then catch a game.

The most idiotic thing about Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is that it's in blazing hot North Texas and doesn't have at least a retractable roof.
Well the RBPiA was built in an era with Camden Yards, Jacobs Field, and such. The retractable roof thing wasn't that popular yet. In fact, I think the retractable root thing because popular with Reliant? Not started of course because I think the Skydome is retractable in Toronto. I'm sure they want a roof now. I with both the Cowboys and Rangers played in Dallas though.

Quote:
After watching the Rangers stomp Houston yesterday, I must say, the bar I was in seemed to have some serious Rangers fans.
The Bar? Heck MMP in Houston was easily 70-30 Rangers fans. I mean when Nelson Cruz hit that homerun, the crowd was loud. I mean you can easily hear the Cruz chant.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
My backyard wiffle ball bunch could stomp Houston this year.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
The Rangers have BEEN in Arlington since they moved there in '72. That "idiotic location" is in between both major cities in the area.

And I think Chicago is without a doubt THE best sports town, period. Dallas (along with the rest of the Metroplex) is up there, but certainly not #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas