Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 14,411 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 y/o, single, and relocating to Dallas from Orlando, FL for work. I want to live downtown, and I want to be an area thats safe, but also an area that has a lot to offer such as nightlife, restaurants, shops, entertainment. Somewhere I can mingle with other 20-somethings, meet new people, and have fun. However, I'm not really a club person at all, I prefer bars. My budget is anywhere betweeen $1200-$1500, although I prefer a price on the lower end of that range. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Keep in mind that downtown Dallas is still a work in progress (still no grocery store or movie theater for example) but it's getting better every day. There are lots of older buildings that have been refurbished into apartments like The Mercantile Mercantile Place and the Davis Dallas Loft | The Davis Building in Dallas, TX 75202

You might also look at Deep Ellum, the area just east of downtown which is full of industrial buildings that have been turned into lofts like these Futura Lofts - Lofts for rent in downtown Dallas . They're definitely within your price range. There are lots of restaurants, bars, music clubs and shops nearby.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM

73 posts, read 112,111 times
The Village Apartments http://www.thevillageapts.com sound perfect for you. It's not fully downtown, but it's about five minutes away via car, train or bus. It's a grouping of 17 different apartments all owned and managed by the same people, with a country club exclusive to Village residence in the middle tying it all together. Depending on which of the 17 you choose to live in, rents can range from around $800 to $2200 for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment. It's very close to SMU and has lots of college students and young professionals, plus it is one street away from Greenville Ave, which is full of all types of shops, bars, and quirky places.

I'm 27 and a Dallas native, and the downtown lofts always enchanted me, but it's not practical for me since I live with my older mother and my school-age nephews come stay nearly every weekend. I agree with the other poster, you might also really like Deep Ellum; I know I do. It's a central nightlife hub and has nearly anything for any taste. Safety has improved vastly in that area over the last few years, but it's still borders an older, junky neighborhood and sits in the shadow of Baylor University Medical Center, so it's something to be aware of. However, many people live there and have no problems. I myself am moving back into the city from the suburbs in the next 2 weeks, and I'm renting a 3/2 apartment in the Village for $1450. If you decide to pursue the lofts mentioned by the prior poster, I'd certain check out Southside on Lamar http://southsideonlamar.com/Home.aspx, as it's one of the better views and a wonderfully rich history.

Wherever you end up, good luck with your search, and welcome to Dallas!

Last edited by loveandcoffee; 05-11-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack200486 View Post
I'm 27 y/o, single, and relocating to Dallas from Orlando, FL for work. I want to live downtown, and I want to be an area thats safe, but also an area that has a lot to offer such as nightlife, restaurants, shops, entertainment. Somewhere I can mingle with other 20-somethings, meet new people, and have fun. However, I'm not really a club person at all, I prefer bars. My budget is anywhere betweeen $1200-$1500, although I prefer a price on the lower end of that range. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Very few people actually live downtown (although the numbers are growing) in Dallas; however the overall vibe you are looking for can be found in Uptown (due north of Woodall Rogers Freeway). Uptown is THE destination for young professionals in Dallas and has all the nightlife, bars, brunches, shopping, fitness / outdoors, networking, etc you could possibly want. Your budget is spot-on for that part of town.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Third rail lofts on main st. Spectacular views. Floor to ceiling windows. Nice roof top deck and dog park. Right in the middle of everything. Budget is also spot on for these.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Look at Uptown and also up Ross Avenue especially close to Central.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:15 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
There are probably more than 20 residential buildings in Downtown Dallas now and more are on the way. The vast majority of them are renovated office buildings. The last numbers I saw indicated that there are between 7000 - 8000 people living in Downtown at the present time. Below is a link to a 284 unit condo building at which you can rent a privately owned unit. The pic below the link is the view from the east side of the building. There are currently three 1BR's available for lease priced between $1200 - $1300. The pic below is a view from the east side of the building. The amenities are great and the views can be spectacular. Uptown is a great option for you as well, but I definitely recommend investigating Downtown. It will generally be a little cheaper than Uptown. There are definitely restaurants, bars and clubs Downtown within walking distance of all of the residential buildings. Welcome to Dallas!

New Condos in Dallas | The Metropolitan Condominiums Dallas

Moderator cut: copyrighted photo

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-14-2013 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas