Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 AM

11 posts, read 19,681 times

Advertisements

Hi, new to the forum and looking for feedback on Murphy. Currently we're in NE Frisco but need to move closer to downtown Dallas and/or near a train stop. We have a 5 and an 8 y/o and are looking for a "family community" vibe and of course good schools. Yesterday I drove through Murphy Farms and the place was crawling w/ kids--any other areas like that? Our budget is under $300K, and would love as big a lot as possible.

So what areas in Murphy are the most kid-friendly, ie lots of kids? Any other areas to think of? Our realtor mentioned Sachse, any word? I've looked at Firewheel, no dice. Hubs likes e Plano but I'm not crazy about the schools, but maybe that's wrong of me.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Murphy does not have its own school district. The students in the western part of the city mostly attend Plano schools and the others attend Wylie schools. I know the Murphy Farms is not in PISD, so is likely in WISD.

The city is full of children. The largest elementary school in the Plano District, Boggess Elementary, has a current enrollment of 857 students. It is extremely diverse though and has a great staff and PTA that keep things running well.

The community is dedicated to serving children. Plano Sports authority is building a large facility on the city hall campus. Local restaurants host benefit nights for the schools. The city has numerous parks and walking paths.

From almost anywhere in Murphy, you would be about a 15 minute drive to the George W. Bush DART station.

Skyline Acres and Willow Wood Ranch Estates are older subdivisions but they have acre sized lots.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,046 times
Also look into Richardson's 75082 area, Collin County,closer to Fire wheel area, great location, nicer and newer homes, kid friendly, parks, amenities, Plano school district, very green. Just drive around Renner & Telecom Parkway area. Its very good for resale and rentals as well. You can find nice sized lots in Creek Hollow Estates.

Here are some listings for 300k-350k...

realtor.com

Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 AM

Thanks, that's all useful info. DitsyD, Murphy sounds like Frisco, just 10 yrs ago. Gripewater, thanks for the listings, but 300K is my ceiling! I'm looking for under $300, and the more under the better.

Any more advice on subdivisions, I'd love to hear them.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,046 times
realtor.com

This area shares middle,high & senior high schools with Murphy's PISD pocket.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 AM

177 posts, read 311,710 times
My opinion is to STAY AWAY from Sachse. Crime seems to be higher and when you think about resale value in my opinion your chances go way down of getting good resale later on...just MY opinion though

Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgatorfan View Post
Thanks, that's all useful info. DitsyD, Murphy sounds like Frisco, just 10 yrs ago. Gripewater, thanks for the listings, but 300K is my ceiling! I'm looking for under $300, and the more under the better.

Murphy is just about built out though, and won't turn into a bustling city like Frisco has.

Good Luck on finding a closer in house.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Murphy is just about built out though, and won't turn into a bustling city like Frisco has.

Good Luck on finding a closer in house.
Frisco isnt any more bustling than the other suburbs including Murphy.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Frisco isnt any more bustling than the other suburbs including Murphy.
Depends on your definition of "bustling." For retail, Frisco is pretty bustle-y. If you need a nail salon/donut shop/dry cleaner every block, or a Bed Bath and Beyond-type store every .5 mile, Frisco is your place.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM

871 posts, read 2,688,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgatorfan View Post

If you need to get way under $300k and you are considering the Murphy area, you should consider Wylie. Wylie is full of homes under (and way under) $300k.

But, honestly, the Murphy area doesn't really get you that much closer to Downtown Dallas. Closer to DART rail, then yeah I suppose you are closer to a DART rail station then you are in Frisco. From Murphy and West part of Wylie it is 15 minutes to DART rail station (Bush is the one you want as another poster mentioned, because Parker Rd Station has a parking fee unless you live in a DART city, and Murphy/Wylie are not DART cities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas