Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

Since some of you find pleasure in disputing anything I post, I made same drive today:

Left Mockingbird and Abrams 8:10 am. Got to the Tollway entrance at NW Highway 8:23 am (sign said "Spring Valley 6 minutes"). Passed the Galleria at 8:29 am. Got to my appointment on Spring Valley at 8:32 am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Since some of you find pleasure in disputing anything I post, I made same drive today:

Left Mockingbird and Abrams 8:10 am. Got to the Tollway entrance at NW Highway 8:23 am (sign said "Spring Valley 6 minutes"). Passed the Galleria at 8:29 am. Got to my appointment on Spring Valley at 8:32 am.
TC80 made a very good point which you've chosen to ignore here...if you have children who start school at 8am (normal start time), you'll be commuting with the heaviest traffic.

Shift that same drive an hour back, then report back to us on Monday.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM

I've done this drive at other times and the longest it ever took me was 40 minutes, and that was getting stuck on LBJ.

You've chosen to ignore that the lady could let her child off at St. Thomas on Mockingbird and/or Abrams at 8 am and then do the commute to work.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
You've chosen to ignore that the lady could let her child off at St. Thomas on Mockingbird and/or Abrams at 8 am and then do the commute to work.
That's because she mentioned St Monica, St Rita, and CTK in her original post.

The only one of those that's a realistic 'on the way' dropoff from Lakewood is CTK.

Why the hell should someone saddle themselves with a 40 minute commute when they can live in the lovely neighborhood next to St Rita and have barely any commute at all, or live in Sparkman Estates or even the Disney streets and be at St Monica in minutes? Why?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM

I am trying to make suggestions since she is widowed, likes Catholic schools and may "possibly" work at the Galleria. She mentioned that Lakewood did not jump out at her, yet she likes the Park Cities and there are similarities, leading me to think she may not have gotten an accurate picture. Also I think that my area is very supportive of moms in situations like hers. How can more information be a bad thing?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I am trying to make suggestions since she is widowed, likes Catholic schools and may "possibly" work at the Galleria. She mentioned that Lakewood did not jump out at her, yet she likes the Park Cities and there are similarities, leading me to think she may not have gotten an accurate picture. Also I think that my area is very supportive of moms in situations like hers. How can more information be a bad thing?
Nothing wrong with more info; however I don't think you're presenting a realistic picture of the commute. That's all.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
I've done this drive at other times and the longest it ever took me was 40 minutes, and that was getting stuck on LBJ.

Most people need to be at work before 8:30 or 9. Just saying....

Sometimes Lakewood ISN'T the answer. Just as Park Cities isn't always the answer either. Note my recommendations of 75209 neifhborboods for this particular poster.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure1 View Post
Thanks so much for all the comments! Any opinions on being a single parent, and how that plays into having children in HPISD vs privates?
Hmm. Tough question to answer. As horrific as what I'm about to say sounds, I do think it's true: being widowed, you are the "right" kind of single woman so you wouldn't be perceived as a potential husband stealer. Even in the age of more divorced parents, there aren't a ton in the Park Cities (maybe 20-25% vs 40-50% general population based on the last time I perused a school directory). The community does a better job of taking care of & being empathetic towards widows/widowers than divorced singles. I see similar trends in my own church and would imagine the Catholic communities would mirror that even though it's not very Christ-like. I think its reality in the Bible Belt.

If you have a regular full-time job, it may be easier to get rooted in one community (church & school in one) vs two (church + public schools). You only have so much free time and will probably find a circle of femal friends and ofher families easier in the Catholic community vs juggling two groups. When you start seeing the same people at mass, carpool, kid bday parties, etc, it just moves faster. Make sense? No dig on the Park Cities but important to be realistic about not spreading yourself too thin.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Let's keep the discussion on topic, to respond to the OP's actual inquiry. Any poster is going to find different qualities to a commute, no need to argue someone else's experience.

YMMV

Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM

28 posts, read 52,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Hmm. Tough question to answer. As horrific as what I'm about to say sounds, I do think it's true: being widowed, you are the "right" kind of single woman so you wouldn't be perceived as a potential husband stealer. Even in the age of more divorced parents, there aren't a ton in the Park Cities (maybe 20-25% vs 40-50% general population based on the last time I perused a school directory). The community does a better job of taking care of & being empathetic towards widows/widowers than divorced singles. I see similar trends in my own church and would imagine the Catholic communities would mirror that even though it's not very Christ-like. I think its reality in the Bible Belt. .
Yes, a problem that I dread..... I am NOT a potential husband stealer! I firmly believe, "if he will cheat with you, he will cheat on you." I have NO interest in married men or even men who are single because they cheated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas