Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM

20 posts, read 43,193 times

Advertisements

East of Harry Hines, West of Webb Chapel, South of Royal, and North of Walnut Hill? We are a young couple looking for a first house, no kids for another 5-7 years.

We drove through once and have browsed on google street view and the area really didn't seem to be too bad, but I have heard that area can be sketchy. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3444 View Post
East of Harry Hines, West of Webb Chapel, South of Royal, and North of Walnut Hill? We are a young couple looking for a first house, no kids for another 5-7 years.

We drove through once and have browsed on google street view and the area really didn't seem to be too bad, but I have heard that area can be sketchy. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences?
Why that area? Do you work nearby? What's your budget?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM

20 posts, read 43,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why that area? Do you work nearby? What's your budget?

I work in Addison, wife works at Parkland now. We are trying to stay under $170k.

We have been looking in west Richardson (east of coit, west of 75, south of campbell, north of spring valley, preferably north of belt line) or south plano (east of coit, west of 75, south of park), several have come and gone, we just haven't gotten there in time, so we are expanding our search a bit to the Famers Branch area and noticed a couple nicely updated houses in this North Dallas area.

We don't mind diversity and really just want an area that is safe. Good schools would be nice so we wouldn't have to move when we have kids, but that isn't set in stone. We also want easier commutes, Frisco, Sachse, etc are very nice, but we have no interest in living that far out.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:32 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Farmers Branch would be my 1st choice.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:39 PM

212 posts, read 409,880 times
Yes, that area can be sketchy. Drive through at different times of day and different days of the week. Stop into some of the neighborhood grocery stores and pharmacies. See how you feel. Farmers Branch is less sketchy. The Greenwood Hills neighborhood of Richardson is even less sketchy. What about Carrollton?

I had your budget. With perseverance, I found a place in west Richardson. Not sure about the commute to Addison or your space requirements, but I looked at some really nice two bedroom SFHs in east Dallas. They were just too small for me. Have you looked at townhouses or condos?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Definitely sketchy. One of our regular posters almost got attacked there a few months ago @ Webb & NW Hwy. Stay east of Marsh (area south of Walnut Hill may still have a few homes in your price range) or go to Farmer's Branch.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 PM

9 posts, read 14,964 times
The Sparkman neighborhood (west of Marsh, east of Webb Chapel, north of Merrell and south of Royal) is completely stable and safe. The neighborhood has a wonderful swim club that you can choose to join and the kind of neighbors who keep an eye on each other. It also feeds into WT White, one of the best high schools in the area. Finding a house in your budget might be tough but some of the fixer uppers might be an option.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Nope. See that wagon wheel road just south of there? That's Calvary Hill Cemetery, where my grandparents are buried. The cemetery gates close at dusk, and that's for everyone's safety. The apartments along Webb Chapel are really, really bad, and the DISD schools are some of the worst. You can almost guarantee that you will lose money by buying in that neighborhood...

Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
The place I lease out is south of Walnut Hill and west of Webbs Chapel, east of Harry Hines. It's in a gated community and the residents are very proactive but all kinds of issues outside the gates and my tenant had his tailgate solen from his truck parked right at his back door. I will always carry a weapon or at the minimum pepper spray now when I am in the area after a serious scare a while back. Check crime maps! Farmers Branch, Carrollton, maybe a starter in Valley Ranch or maybe Irving zip code 75062 east of Story Rd. could work.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradormom View Post
The Sparkman neighborhood (west of Marsh, east of Webb Chapel, north of Merrell and south of Royal) is completely stable and safe. The neighborhood has a wonderful swim club that you can choose to join and the kind of neighbors who keep an eye on each other. It also feeds into WT White, one of the best high schools in the area. Finding a house in your budget might be tough but some of the fixer uppers might be an option.
Agree 100% about Sparkman but doubt there is anything available in their budget. We've been watching that area. You can get something in the sketchier parts for about 140,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: