U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 01:06 AM

5 posts, read 8,424 times

Advertisements

Have realized that my "dream house" probably was not in my "dream community". It was a neighborhood, not a master planned community... therefore, I'm expanding my horizons!

Last night I recall looking over a website on a master planned community that featured photos of walking trails winding through mature trees with beautiful fall foliage. For the life of me I cannot find that site again, therefore, no idea of the community!

Any suggestions on where I may be thinking of? Would enjoy a community with real trails and parks...and of course a great pool!

Suggestions? Price range is up to $260,000...community feeling that would appeal to 50+ year olds.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 AM

6,256 posts, read 15,936,568 times
Stonebridge Ranch has plenty of walking trails and parks... but the areas I know that have them are $400k+ neighborhoods. There might be other neighborhoods in SB that meet your price range that have them, but they'll be harder to find. I'd consult a realtor to give you a breakdown of what's available in that area that has close proximity to the trails and parks.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:38 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,399,149 times
My initial thought is that you were probably looking at the Stonebridge Ranch website. In Mckinney, SBR is known for its scenic vistas, creekside and/or treed trails, parks, and its open or preserved spaces. There's even an "Autumn in Stonebridge" section on the website's photo gallery so I am guessing that's what you found. Definitely a good choice in communities if you are into an area that has a more natural feel.

Now here's something that might interest you...Know that house you loved in Village Park? Well, a very similar style exists in 3 different Stonebridge Ranch neighborhoods ("villages"), which are called Mayberry Park, Freedom Park, and Regent's Park. Prices are similar to the Village Park home you listed (around mid-$200), but the homes are a bit older, from 2001-2006-ish, so you are paying more for the neighborhood and amenities here...but totally worth it IMO. The homes are built by Darling, which is an excellent builder. Each of those 3 neighborhood are small (about 50 or 60 homes) and have a communal open space with a gazebo for neighborhood gatherings. Really good community spirit in those neighborhoods. Here's a couple currently for sale in Mayberry Park:

6800 Norman Rockwell Ln, Mckinney, TX 75071 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

6809 Norman Rockwell Ln, Mckinney, TX 75071 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

No houses currently for sale in Freedom Park (which is directly north of Mayberry) or in Regent's (which is further south in SBR off Coronado). Houses go very quickly in these neighborhoods, so you have to keep a close eye on new listings.

There are also many other neighborhoods in Stonebridge that would also work for you regarding price, trees/nature/trails, age demographic, etc if you are ok with a different architecture. Here's the community's website for additional information, pictures, community map, etc:

www.stonebridgeranch.com

Now to switch gears away from Stonebridge, there are some other neighborhoods along the Wilson Creek hike and bike trails and parks that are totally worth looking at too. For your price point, maybe look at Sorrellwood Park, Creekview Estates, and Hidden Creek.

Sorrellwood:
2713 White Rock Creek Dr, Mckinney, TX 75070 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Hidden Creek:
3924 Lindale Dr, Mckinney, TX 75070 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

CreekView Estates:
4504 Elk Springs Dr, Mckinney, TX 75071 - New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

Or one of the neighborhoods in the Eldorado master-planned community, which has some amazing tree canopies and beautiful walking trails:
About | Eldorado Homeowners

Eldorado homes:
2808 Sunset Rdg, Mckinney, TX 75070 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
2406 Saint Remy Dr, Mckinney, TX 75070 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

FYI...Here's the Parks & Trails Locator on the city's website to help orient you to where these neighborhoods are in relation to the major trails:
McKinney, TX - Official Website - Parks & Trails Locator

SO...now back to your preferred architecture...

Now that I am thinking about it, there are two other places in Mckinney (besides Stonebridge and Village Park) where you could get a similar looking house style :

First, certain neighborhoods of Westridge, which is also a master-planned community. That said, the price point is much lower (and probably therefore the quality), and though a master-planned community as far as amenities (pool, clubhouse,etc), it lacks the natural tree-lined feel that the community on the other side of Custer have.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=TX568779619

Second (and, in my opinion, a terrific option especially if you don't have small children), would be an original Arts & Crafts/Craftsman/Victorian/Tudor home in the historic district of Mckinney. This area is a very close-knit community with lots of charm, 100 year old trees, and has the added benefit of being walkable to the vibrant downtown square (restaurants, art galleries, theatre, farmers market), Finch Park, and the trails that surround Towne Lake. Some examples of the beautiful homes in this area in the 200-300 range:

526 N Kentucky St, Mckinney, TX 75069 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

300 S College St, Mckinney, TX 75069 - New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

205 Heard St, Mckinney, TX 75069 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1106 Tucker St, Mckinney, TX 75069 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Whew! Sorry that was a book, but I hope it helped. I can see your hesitation with Village Park. The section of Mckinney that is north (mostly) of Eldorado, south (mostly) of 380, east of Custer, and west of Hwy 5 is by far the prettiest part of (developed) Mckinney...full of creeks, gently rolling hills, mature tree cover, and the city has done a good job of taking advantage of that natural beauty while developing the area. The areas closer to 121 (where Village Park is) or west of Custer...nothing wrong with them, they just look more similar to the suburbs they border and don't reflect the beauty of the more interior Mckinney that many of us know and appreciate everyday.

Anyway, feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions about the city, neighborhoods, whatever. We have absolutely fallen in love with Mckinney and hope you will too

Last edited by PlanoGirl; 06-01-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,424 times
WOW! I am just floored, and totally appreciative with the time, thought and effort you put into your reply! Thank you very, very much!

You are correct that the photos I saw were Stonebridge Ranch...one mystery solved! Having never lived in McKinney, and doing all the research via internet from out of state...there is a big learning curve involved
: )

Did not know about Freedom Park, so have added that to the "watch list" with Mayberry and Regents Park. The idea that I can find a home with the warmth and charm offered by the Craftsman style but in a newer built home (than a true historic home) just feels like the direction I am destined to head!

Though it will be a while before any of this can come to pass, at least I now have a strong idea of where I could be heading. In one small way, I like the idea of having a unique setting for my home to provide a "destination" for my family/nieces/nephew to come visit...even if it is just coming up for the day! On that note...is the drive between McKinney and Dallas (to the LBJ/Abrams area) to visit family going to be too much of a trial for "spontaneous" get togethers? (It's been over 22 years since I've lived in Dallas).

Now...with just the two pools in Stonebridge Ranch, does it seem to be a happy balance between families with children who are there to play and adults who are there for "swimming" for exercise?

Also, it seems like Stonebridge Ranch's environment would be fairly safe for a woman to go walking on her own? More so than in the bigger cities, for instance?

I know...I'm getting off track from my original topic, but....now that I have a strong possible direction...it's exciting again!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,399,149 times
Sorry. Meant to reply to your questions much earlier...

The drive between Mckinney and Dallas can be a hike, so no, I wouldn't typically say "spontaneous" family get togethers would be commonplace. If you plan to see family weekly or more, than I would consider living further south. Hell, even when I lived in Plano, I didn't make many spontaneous trips into Dallas. Keep in mind that I have small children, so "spontaneous" isn't really in my vocabulary anymore at this stage of life...lol! So is it do-able? Definitely. But would it be a beating regularly (in my opinion, yes). Plus your family will probably prefer you come to see them versus the other way around most of the time (yes, I am stereotyping the "inside the loop" types but its a likely truth nonetheless), so YOU will be the one doing the lion's share of the driving. Anyway, just something to think about.

Pool...two pools are definitely plenty for Stonebridge. They are rarely busy, except for holidays (Memorial day, Labor Day) and yes, there are plenty of non-kid adults as well as families. The Beach Club sees more kid traffic since it is surrounded by sand and has a splashpark, and has more of a laze-around-by-the-pool resort feel. The swim "lanes" are at the other pool (called the Aquatic Center) and adults are frequently using them for exercise, though I haven't ever noticed it being overcrowded.

As far as safety, yes, very safe. I frequently go walking when its dark...either after the kids are in bed or before the sun is up in the morning. I prefer to met up with a friend because it IS dark afterall and you never know...but I (as well as many other based on the number of other people out) have done it alone many times. Walking in the day I have no concern at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas