Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seugnet View Post
We appreciate the insight shared by all! It looks as though we will have to wait until next March as to where we stand in terms of his acceptance! If positive then buy in North Dallas and if not, we look at something within the PISD. Its amazing how ones life can literally be put on hold when applying for a private school. We will give some consideration to the Barksdale alternative which helps hedge our bets.

Thank you!
That's a rational approach. You simply cannot presume acceptance into St. Marks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:52 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Haha... It is more like an hour! When there is avg traffic. If there are couple of accidents then good luck...
I know someone who did that for two years then they bought in Preston Hollow.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Haha... It is more like an hour! When there is avg traffic. If there are couple of accidents then good luck...
I know someone who did that for two years then they bought 1 mile away. It was pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seugnet View Post
Desperately seeking school advise - we plan on moving either to Frisco, Plano or Mckinney. We have a 5 year old and would like to ensure that he gets the best possible education, we are willing to consider private schools, but have heard that a number of the public schools in these areas are comparable. It seems that the Plano/Frisco ISD public schools are well respected but some of them have assigned schools that can differ greatly. Do you think it is worth relocating closer to a St Mark's/Greenhill school and paying the private school tuition vs living further north? We not sure which public elementary school would be the preferred comparable option to the private schools. Thanks
Depends on where you work. Or whether there is a SAHP. I'd live as close to work AND school as you can within your other requirements.

Privates are a long shot. If your kid is 5 and not reading then you need to rethink your options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGeek View Post
East or West of DNT doesn't matter as long as your home feeds to PISD. You can time it on google maps, Barksdale to St Marks or Brinker to St Marks takes same time. Ok may be Barksdale can save you a couple of minutes but both are excellent schools if you decide to go with public schools and great neighborhoods.

I just searched exact timings and it takes 16 minutes in current traffic, probably 26 in rush hour or max 30.
I am not sure what you meant. Live in N Dallas and drive to PISD or live in PISD and go to Privates?

For the latter, it is worse than that. 30+ in rush hour from PISD. Drive kid to school. Drive home or work. Drive back to school. Pick up kid. Stay for activity OR go somewhere else. Finish. Drive home - get home at 8pm or later. Study. Get to bed later. Its nuts. Map out your driving. Your kid's hour in the car can be used to do something else productive. You are paying 25K for the school yet waste time driving around?

Old 06-03-2013, 03:08 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
I'm like a broken record on this, and I rarely get any backup, but ....

You DON'T have to live in Plano to attend Plano schools. 40% of the PISD student body lives in neighboring cities, including a huge chunk of PWSH kids.

The Dallas portion of PISD would be a good choice for the OP, since their potential commute to St. Mark's would be reduced by 10-15 minutes relative to Barksdale.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:14 PM

92 posts, read 169,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I know someone who did that for two years then they bought 1 mile away. It was pretty bad.

Depends on where you work. Or whether there is a SAHP. I'd live as close to work AND school as you can within your other requirements.

Privates are a long shot. If your kid is 5 and not reading then you need to rethink your options.

I am not sure what you meant. Live in N Dallas and drive to PISD or live in PISD and go to Privates?

For the latter, it is worse than that. 30+ in rush hour from PISD. Drive kid to school. Drive home or work. Drive back to school. Pick up kid. Stay for activity OR go somewhere else. Finish. Drive home - get home at 8pm or later. Study. Get to bed later. Its nuts. Map out your driving. Your kid's hour in the car can be used to do something else productive. You are paying 25K for the school yet waste time driving around?
I'm suggesting to live in Plano and go with PISD. My money is on them liking the schools but for some reason if its not working out then it would not be as much trouble to drive or car pool to St Marks as it would be from some far flung exurb and they'll always have fall back option of good PISD schools if money issues made it necessary. If they buy near St Marks and don't get in there, don't like it or couldn't afford due to some issue then DISD is not really a decent choice.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
The far-flung exurb of Richardson???

Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 PM

92 posts, read 169,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
The far-flung exurb of Richardson???
Huh! I was talking about McKinney.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGeek View Post
I'm suggesting to live in Plano and go with PISD. My money is on them liking the schools but for some reason if its not working out then it would not be as much trouble to drive or car pool to St Marks as it would be from some far flung exurb and they'll always have fall back option of good PISD schools if money issues made it necessary. If they buy near St Marks and don't get in there, don't like it or couldn't afford due to some issue then DISD is not really a decent choice.
Then they should rent in PISD until they get into the school they want. Then they should rent nearby the school. Once their son makes it through the first year and they are happy, then look to buy nearby. The first year or two the commute is ok, but as he moves up through the grades, that hour in the car will be better used studying. And the time the parents spend driving can be better used as well. Things get hard after the first grade and it just gets harder from there.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
If I were you.....I would rent in the Plano/McKinney/Frisco area to ensure that your child gets a good education and apply for St. Marks, Greenhill, etc. IF they get in you can then buy in an area closer to the school.

Last edited by bencronin04; 06-04-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
If I were you.....I would rent in the Plano/McKinney/Frisco area to ensure that you child gets a good education and apply for St. Marks, Greenhill, etc. IF they get in you can then buy in an area closer to the school.
If you want to ensure your child gets a good education, you should pick Plano or Richardson over Frisco/McKinney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas