U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 13,126 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
We just moved to NW Fort Worth and are looking for a good preschool. In particular, I'd like to find one that sends children to the best private schools in Dallas. I'm thinking Hockaday, St Marks, Cistercian, Greenhill, Jesuit, ESD.
It seems that Lamplighter, St Alcuin, Meadowbrook and Da Vinci are the top pre-schools in Dallas but I can't find a similar discussion for Fort Worth.
Could someone help me please.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,556,644 times
This probably needs to go in the fort worth section then.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 13,126 times
I already posted it there to no avail
I was hoping that parents of the top Dallas schools may have heard of any of their kid's classmates' experiences in Fort Worth.
Long shot, I know. But I am desperate.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:54 PM

11,962 posts, read 22,269,325 times
I can't imagine there being more than 1-2 kids in all of PreK-12 at each Dallas private school who hail from Ft Worth. That is an insane daily drive to make!!

Fort Worth Country Day is by far the top private school in FW. Why don't you ask the FW forum which preschools feed into FWCD? All Saints is another good private school in FW. I believe there's a third but don't know the name.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsevansc View Post
I was hoping that parents of the top Dallas schools may have heard of any of their kid's classmates' experiences in Fort Worth.
FYI, give the FW forum more than an hour to answer before running off to the Dallas forum and complaining about no answers over there. It's a smaller city & slower forum. Chill out a bit.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,136 times
Talking Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsevansc View Post
I'm not sure where you are in your decision but I can give you a quick rundown of the "best" schools in the DFW area and talk to admissions at those schools NOW and express your dedication and "desperation" for information and guidance in making sure your child is receiving the BEST education available in your area according to YOUR definition of "BEST". Some parents measure the quality of education solely on the avg number of NMSF the school produces each year. Some only care about SAT scores...others ignore the numbers and look at which colleges graduates are 1.offered admission to and 2. which ones they end up attending. I'm not a parent yet, but I think the college thing makes sense. What's most important is how YOU define BEST when making choices for your child and if you aren't certain how you define that yet when picking a private school, just speak truthfully about how you make decisions for your child, your parenting style, your core values. Their feedback will guide you to appropriately, I promise. I can't imagine a situation where an admissions rep would not do his or her best to make you feel prepared/certain and sure-footed that you are equipped with all the knowledge and resources you need to make these important decisions, but I'd let that speak volumes about the core values of the entire school. You'll figure it out when you go visit the schools and meet staff...I think you'll be surprised by how much of a resource they will be to you -how much better you will feel after speaking to them and how willing they are to give you specific information about where to go for preschool, etc. (as they SHOULD be!)

So here's the quick info:
Jesuit, Hockaday, and maybe ESD should be your first stops in Dallas. Jesuit and Hockaday have outstanding reputations and your child is guaranteed to get into any college to which they apply. Hockaday is STRONGLY influenced by MONEY though, so if it's important to you that your child be in a school with classmates that display his/her level of academic potential, you could be disappointed by the 10-15 per class that are there entirely because of wealth and dirty payoffs to whoever is in charge. It's kind of sad that those kids get through because it's obvious that they probably would struggle in public school and they are completely out of their element, but teachers seem to not let it get in the way of educating at the advanced level that Hockaday kids usually have to display for admission. nowhere close to the strength students uidelines for applicants I have several friends that went to Jesuit and Hockaday so I can profile the students.

Fort Worth Country Day School, All Saints, and maybe Trinity Valley should be your first stops in Fort Worth. FWCDS is very tough to get into academically, but is definitely THE school for brilliant minds...and although the academically, they are the best in Fort Worth, perfect grades and test scores aren't revered the way you would think. The school expects students to be actively engaged in at least one fine art(s) throughout their entire career at FWCDS, and students are expected to apply their mind and talent in the arts as much as they do academically, simple involvement is not ok....they always have to be engaging their minds in different ways outside of the classroom and not miss a beat academically. I can't imagine having a child that is able to handle that kind of pressure because I would drown in just the academic part....if that didn't do it, the focus on excelling in whatever I pursue outside of class too would kill me. Those kids seem to love it though...and I've never heard a negative words about that school. TVS is good academically, certainly has a better football team, and is a bit bigger than Country Day, but it's not as intense as FWCD in expectations. All Saints is apparently pretty good too or at least getting much better these days because I've noticed it grabbing lots of the kids from my best ER docs&my 2 favorite trauma surgeons. (I'm a nurse). Hopefully that helps.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFortWorthTheMost View Post
I'm not sure where you are in your decision but I can give you a quick rundown of the "best" schools in the DFW area and talk to admissions at those schools NOW and express your dedication and "desperation" for information and guidance in making sure your child is receiving the BEST education available in your area according to YOUR definition of "BEST". Some parents measure the quality of education solely on the avg number of NMSF the school produces each year. Some only care about SAT scores...others ignore the numbers and look at which colleges graduates are 1.offered admission to and 2. which ones they end up attending. I'm not a parent yet, but I think the college thing makes sense. What's most important is how YOU define BEST when making choices for your child and if you aren't certain how you define that yet when picking a private school, just speak truthfully about how you make decisions for your child, your parenting style, your core values. Their feedback will guide you to appropriately, I promise. I can't imagine a situation where an admissions rep would not do his or her best to make you feel prepared/certain and sure-footed that you are equipped with all the knowledge and resources you need to make these important decisions, but I'd let that speak volumes about the core values of the entire school. You'll figure it out when you go visit the schools and meet staff...I think you'll be surprised by how much of a resource they will be to you -how much better you will feel after speaking to them and how willing they are to give you specific information about where to go for preschool, etc. (as they SHOULD be!)

So here's the quick info:
Jesuit, Hockaday, and maybe ESD should be your first stops in Dallas. Jesuit and Hockaday have outstanding reputations and your child is guaranteed to get into any college to which they apply. Hockaday is STRONGLY influenced by MONEY though, so if it's important to you that your child be in a school with classmates that display his/her level of academic potential, you could be disappointed by the 10-15 per class that are there entirely because of wealth and dirty payoffs to whoever is in charge. It's kind of sad that those kids get through because it's obvious that they probably would struggle in public school and they are completely out of their element, but teachers seem to not let it get in the way of educating at the advanced level that Hockaday kids usually have to display for admission. nowhere close to the strength students uidelines for applicants I have several friends that went to Jesuit and Hockaday so I can profile the students.

Fort Worth Country Day School, All Saints, and maybe Trinity Valley should be your first stops in Fort Worth. FWCDS is very tough to get into academically, but is definitely THE school for brilliant minds...and although the academically, they are the best in Fort Worth, perfect grades and test scores aren't revered the way you would think. The school expects students to be actively engaged in at least one fine art(s) throughout their entire career at FWCDS, and students are expected to apply their mind and talent in the arts as much as they do academically, simple involvement is not ok....they always have to be engaging their minds in different ways outside of the classroom and not miss a beat academically. I can't imagine having a child that is able to handle that kind of pressure because I would drown in just the academic part....if that didn't do it, the focus on excelling in whatever I pursue outside of class too would kill me. Those kids seem to love it though...and I've never heard a negative words about that school. TVS is good academically, certainly has a better football team, and is a bit bigger than Country Day, but it's not as intense as FWCD in expectations. All Saints is apparently pretty good too or at least getting much better these days because I've noticed it grabbing lots of the kids from my best ER docs&my 2 favorite trauma surgeons. (I'm a nurse). Hopefully that helps.

LOL at your whole post.

1. Jesuit is a HIGH SCHOOL which wouldn't help OP's pre- school aged child one bit.
2. You forgot to mention St Mark's. St Mark's and Hockaday are the two premier schools in Dallas , not Jesuit and Hockaday.
3. No child at any school - even the most elite- is "GUARANTEED to get in to any school in which they apply". If they were, there would be 40 kids from St Mark's going to Harvard every year, not 2-5.
4. OP posted over a year ago so I'm guessing she tracked down answers by now so I won't continue to critique your bizarrely uninformed post any further....

Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 PM

8,312 posts, read 9,071,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I can't imagine there being more than 1-2 kids in all of PreK-12 at each Dallas private school who hail from Ft Worth. That is an insane daily drive to make!!

Fort Worth Country Day is by far the top private school in FW. Why don't you ask the FW forum which preschools feed into FWCD? All Saints is another good private school in FW. I believe there's a third but don't know the name.

Old thread revival warning!

I do not understand why FWCD is thought of a tops by far in Fort Worth. The data don't support that thinking in any way.

TV has a slightly better student to teacher ratio. And at the finish line FWCD has very slightly better middle -fifty SAT scores and TV has slightly better middle - fifty ACT scores. Both schools send kids everywhere. All Saints should be in the conversation as well but I can't easily find it's big test metrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or