Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 41,149 times

Advertisements

Ok so we moved here to plano 5 days ago and renting for a short term till we get a feel for the area. All my research told me that W Plano schools are great. We were told few months ago that Frisco had a dumbed down curriculum as well.

That brings me to my confusion...

We have been looking at Plano houses and have been hearing people say that Plano school system has downgraded over the years and now it is Allen ISD, Frisco and then Plano. In that order. I tried looking it up at har.com and the test scores for Frisco schools look better that Plano. Hence the confusion...

We are currently enrolled to brinker and want the best school for our only child. Though Frisco offers the newness, I an really worried about the school system. Would plano addresses feeding to frisco schools be better than frisco addresses feeding to frisco schools?

Back where we came from, our child was in a very dull education system and had to do most of his studying at home. We don't think he learnt much at his school and would hate to buy a house in frisco and find out the same..

Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM

19,471 posts, read 17,695,925 times
Those people do not know what they are talking about.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,893,104 times
FWIW, the highest-performing part of FISD (Liberty HS) includes the City of Plano portion of FISD. So yes, by that measure, Plano+FISD>Frisco+FISD.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,621,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonika1976 View Post
Ok so we moved here to plano 5 days ago and renting for a short term till we get a feel for the area. All my research told me that W Plano schools are great. We were told few months ago that Frisco had a dumbed down curriculum as well.

That brings me to my confusion...

We have been looking at Plano houses and have been hearing people say that Plano school system has downgraded over the years and now it is Allen ISD, Frisco and then Plano. In that order. I tried looking it up at har.com and the test scores for Frisco schools look better that Plano. Hence the confusion...

We are currently enrolled to brinker and want the best school for our only child. Though Frisco offers the newness, I an really worried about the school system. Would plano addresses feeding to frisco schools be better than frisco addresses feeding to frisco schools?

Back where we came from, our child was in a very dull education system and had to do most of his studying at home. We don't think he learnt much at his school and would hate to buy a house in frisco and find out the same..

Please help!!
This debate comes up about every other day on this forum.

Simply put, at the high school level, Plano ISD has considerably higher metrics than either Frisco or Allen. This does not mean that the latter 2 are "bad", in fact they're quite good for the Metroplex overall, but they are distinctly below Plano.

One argument that is made (predominantly by Frisco supporters) is that Frisco is improving and will catch or surpass Plano at some time in the not-too-distant future. I have not checked the metrics for the elementary and middle schools in those districts. My understanding is that (at least looking at 2010 TAKS data, which is the most recent "testing" data available) that Plano schools still outperform Frisco by a not insignficant margin. At some point I'll probably download the data and post it since this comes up All The Time.

Now, IF the data below the high school level supports Frisco and/or Allen being competitive with Plano, so be it, but given the consistency of the high school data, I'd be inclined to agree with EDS's succinct comment. IOW, whoever the hell is telling you Frisco and Allen schools are better than Plano is wrong.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM

794 posts, read 1,662,882 times
You don't have to believe everything people say.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 41,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
This debate comes up about every other day on this forum.

Simply put, at the high school level, Plano ISD has considerably higher metrics than either Frisco or Allen. This does not mean that the latter 2 are "bad", in fact they're quite good for the Metroplex overall, but they are distinctly below Plano.

One argument that is made (predominantly by Frisco supporters) is that Frisco is improving and will catch or surpass Plano at some time in the not-too-distant future. I have not checked the metrics for the elementary and middle schools in those districts. My understanding is that (at least looking at 2010 TAKS data, which is the most recent "testing" data available) that Plano schools still outperform Frisco by a not insignficant margin. At some point I'll probably download the data and post it since this comes up All The Time.

Now, IF the data below the high school level supports Frisco and/or Allen being competitive with Plano, so be it, but given the consistency of the high school data, I'd be inclined to agree with EDS's succinct comment. IOW, whoever the hell is telling you Frisco and Allen schools are better than Plano is wrong.
I would love to access that data please. Where can I find it?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,720,326 times
Quote:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-2012-a-6.html

I don't see Frisco on here.

https://metroplexmathcircle.wordpres...ounts-results/

Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,621,116 times
Quote:
2010-11 Campus AEIS Report You can search by district and then drill down to individual schools. This has TAKS "Met" and "Commended" percentages for 2011. For schools of this quality the "Commended" percentages are far more relevant than "Met", as most schools will be in the mid to upper 90's for "Met".

The TAKS tests were retired after 2011 IIRC, to be replaced by STAAR, which did not have results posted on school report cards for 2012.

For SAT/ACT results you can also look at the link above for high schools, but the most recent results are available here: 2011-12 Campus AEIS Report

As has been posted numerous times on these forums, Plano ISD high schools have substantially higher average SAT and ACT results than Frisco or Allen.

TX75007's link to NMSF's is also pertinent, as it shows that Plano has far more students testing at the highest end of the spectrum both in absolute numbers and as a percentage of student body.

There is certainly more to education than test results, but these metrics are consistent with other items when comparing between ISDs.

Last edited by synchronicity; 06-10-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 PM

350 posts, read 745,757 times
This website also has information on local schools- it might be helpful for you. Simply put, the people you've been hearing don't really know what they're talking about:
Dallas, Texas Area School Information

Incidentally, I went through the Brinker feeder system and just finished my senior year at Plano West. There were a few rotten teachers I got stuck with at Brinker (most of whom have since left the school), but besides that I had a fantastic experience through senior year.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM

14 posts, read 43,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISDstudent View Post
This website also has information on local schools- it might be helpful for you. Simply put, the people you've been hearing don't really know what they're talking about:
Dallas, Texas Area School Information

Incidentally, I went through the Brinker feeder system and just finished my senior year at Plano West. There were a few rotten teachers I got stuck with at Brinker (most of whom have since left the school), but besides that I had a fantastic experience through senior year.
That website means nothing for the comparison because it could come down to the personal preference of the student + ranking of the major/degree + where they got the scholarship, right?

In any case a good website.

But since you were a student at Plano west, you probably have some good info on comparing Plano west vs frisco and what ur fellow students have to say about that. It will be great to get your feedback. I am also planning to move to Plano west also but second choice is Frisco. Even though my kids will not be going to high school for another 8 years or so, I still want to ensure that I pick the right place right from the very start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas