U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 AM

581 posts, read 865,571 times

Advertisements

Perhaps someone can help me with a matter that has been puzzling me regarding Raytheon. On December 12th, 2012, the Dallas Morning News reported that Raytheon was planning a large office campus within the Telecom corridor of Richardson right next to the new State Farm headquarters now under construction.

Raytheon looking at plans to consolidate offices in Richardson | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Then on May 2, 2013, the Dallas Business Journal reported that one of Raytheon's divisions was relocating from California to McKinney.

Raytheon moving California HQ to McKinney - Dallas Business Journal

Okay, here is the problem.

When asked about the development in Richardson, a Raytheon official stated that it was still on the table.

So, in essence, this relocation to McKinney could just be a temporary one until a possible office campus is completed in Richardson as the development is supposed to gather in employees from all over the Metroplex.

I figured the campus in Richardson would surely be cancelled, but they haven't decided yet what they are going to do.

For those who are interested, the existing facility in McKinney once belonged to Texas Instruments. The facility that Raytheon owns in Garland was once owned by E-systems. E-systems also owned a facility next to an airport in Greenville which is now owned by L-3 Integrated Systems Group.

L-3 Communications Integrated Systems

E-systems was thought to be a company tied to the CIA. It did a lot of the work adding the sophisticated equipment onto the President's 747.

Raytheon also has locations in Dallas on Lemmon Avenue and in Richardson.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM

16 posts, read 23,608 times
Raytheon has building 3 at the Texas Instruments Spring Creek location. I was told about a year ago that Raytheon was buying the old Nortel buildings and eventually moving everyone there

Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM

257 posts, read 510,247 times
According to this announcement from late March 2013, Raytheon is consolidating its business units from 6 to 4:

Raytheon to eliminate 200 jobs, consolidate units - Boston Business Journal

As a result, there are a lot of changes going on right now as they restructure the remaining businesses. Both McKinney and Garland locations are affected by this. There was a round of layoffs last week in Garland (not sure about McKinney) as they eliminate positions that are redundant between the consolidated businesses.

I can't imagine they are in a position to be negotiating real estate deals until they finish up the restructuring process. Bottom line, this company is not in the growth mode that everyone seems to think. It's actually the opposite.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,423,322 times
E-systems in Greenville will not move. They do very specialized work on airborne communications, radar and electronic warfare, and need a relatively uncluttered airspace for testing and a large runway that is 100% under their control.

As for the rest of the post, that is the way large firms work. They have to do a bunch of cost-benefit studies before they make a decision. Raytheon also has undergone a layoff cycle. That adds complexity as they may want to shift internal resources around..

Old 06-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmab View Post
According to this announcement from late March 2013, Raytheon is consolidating its business units from 6 to 4:

Raytheon to eliminate 200 jobs, consolidate units - Boston Business Journal

As a result, there are a lot of changes going on right now as they restructure the remaining businesses. Both McKinney and Garland locations are affected by this. There was a round of layoffs last week in Garland (not sure about McKinney) as they eliminate positions that are redundant between the consolidated businesses.

I can't imagine they are in a position to be negotiating real estate deals until they finish up the restructuring process. Bottom line, this company is not in the growth mode that everyone seems to think. It's actually the opposite.
Ah, yes. So this is in preparation for a reduction in defense spending. But this would mean the company is shrinking from California and elsewhere to Texas, Virginia, and Massachusetts. Could this pull Raytheon in from Houston and other parts of Texas as well?

And this relocation could very well be a short stop off at McKinney, right, if they decide to consolidate all their operations within a campus built in the Telecom corridor.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
E-systems in Greenville will not move. They do very specialized work on airborne communications, radar and electronic warfare, and need a relatively uncluttered airspace for testing and a large runway that is 100% under their control.

As for the rest of the post, that is the way large firms work. They have to do a bunch of cost-benefit studies before they make a decision. Raytheon also has undergone a layoff cycle. That adds complexity as they may want to shift internal resources around..
Is this E-Systems in Greenville the same as L-3? This company is supposed to be located within the city of Rockwall Texas according to Wiki.

Actually, I just read the company is based in Waco, Texas. Well, they say it originated from there. I only mentioned this company because it was once owned by Raytheon.

Last edited by binkyman; 06-13-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdood View Post
Raytheon has building 3 at the Texas Instruments Spring Creek location. I was told about a year ago that Raytheon was buying the old Nortel buildings and eventually moving everyone there
According to the Dallas Morning News, Raytheon's most recent plan is to consolidate thousands of employees within 2.5 million square feet of space on 161 acres just right across from the new State Farm development which is now under construction. I posted the cite for the article in the opening post. As was reported, Raytheon had been snooping around the Telecom corridor for some time.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,022,892 times
L3 is in Greenville, not Rockwall, but a lot of their employees live there for obvious reasons.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
L3 is in Greenville, not Rockwall, but a lot of their employees live there for obvious reasons.
Indeed. I'm not sure where they are located and I'm not sure we are supposed to know. Looking at a Google map at the complex out there next to the airport in Greenville, it looks top secret.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM

8,563 posts, read 10,619,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Indeed. I'm not sure where they are located and I'm not sure we are supposed to know. Looking at a Google map at the complex out there next to the airport in Greenville, it looks top secret.
L3 Comm locations including Arlington, Carrolton, Greenville, Rockwall, and Waco. And that's just for Texas.

Locations | L-3 Communications
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>