Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Parker is an option. The larger lots are there, the random drives to Dallas aren't bad, there are trees but still nothing like south or east of Dallas.

There's just not going to be a ton of options.
Parker | Best Dallas Suburbs 2012 | D Magazine

But there are few trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 AM

35 posts, read 57,625 times
As my wife and I have been considering this move, we think we may want to make the move to the Phoenix area instead. Reasons are that we would be much closer for travel to visit family still living in the Portland, OR area and the heat in AZ is very dry.

Our plans are to spend 6 months during spring/summer/fall traveling the northern states (and near family in Oregon) in our motor coach. And spend the other 6 months of the fall/winter/spring months at the house in Phoenix area. We spent Nov to May in Tucson and Phoenix this last year and really loved it. Much as we love the conservative politics and the "up yours" attitude toward the Federal gov't that Texas has, and the wonderful homes at very moderate prices... we have concluded that the distance to the pacific northwest and the humidity that comes with the heat in Texas is probably too much for us. :-/

Thanks very much to all of you, however, for your input and helpful attitude... we much appreciate that!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM

35 posts, read 135,317 times
I, personally, think you should look in Double Oak. It's a tiny suburb right outside of Highland Village with all the amenities. It has large lots, beautiful houses & LOTS of trees.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,469 times
Here are your options.

Treed, small properties.

Look NE of Dallas - Blue Ridge area or N up near Whitesboro towards the Red River. These areas were settled first and many have homesteads on hills with oaks/pecans that are 150+ years old. You should be able to find a 5 acre plot with an old house and you can build on that. Or get lucky and find a relatively new home. I would find a local RE agent in Fannin or Greyson County and tell them what you are looking for. I am sure you can find something nice on a hilltop with trees.

There are also some old growth bottoms near McKinney with trees twice that age. I doubt if you will be able to get one of these acreages.

Areas S and SE of Dallas are mostly trash trees that will die in 30 years or less. Hackberries and Elms and other junk. And these areas were not settled until the early 1900s. It will be harder to find a well kept homestead.

Another option is to buy a lake front property on the Red River or one of the other major lakes.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,663 times
In Post #12 above, the OP states that they have decided to move to the Phoenix area.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM

291 posts, read 674,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Please come soon. Best to experience the DFW area during our simmering months to see if you really can deal with the weather here. I do think you can find an area you would like, but make sure you like DFW first.

This is prairie, however, and much of the heavily treed lots (I used to own a couple of houses in Mansfield and there were many new homes being built on heavily treed acre+ lots) are not old, towering trees but rather young trees with maybe 12" diameter trunks. And, for the most part lots will never look like a forest.

Some thoughts on location..not all north, some of the most beautiful geography here is south....budget will be a consideration... Ovilla, Red Oak, Argyle, Colleyville, Heath, Rockwall (MLS#:11804583), Sunnyvale, Mansfield, Roanoke, Corinth, Double Oak, Prosper (no trees there but your target area).....

There ARE properties in your budget within 45 minutes of Dallas and Ft. Worth.....especially since you wouldn't be driving in rush hour traffic.... but it will just depend on what's available when you are really ready to search. Right now there's an outdated property with much land in Southlake. That's a highly desirable area for a retiree. Just do an advanced search on Realtor.com
My in-laws live in that area (Red Oak/Ovilla) and there are definitely lots of trees around there. The area that is behind their house is like a forest with lots of land. It's too much for them to maintain though and I think they will be selling soon and moving closer to Dallas. It takes us about 45 mins in non-rush hour to get to their house. The shopping centers in Cedar Hill are not too far from where they live and they go there often.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:31 PM

170 posts, read 369,681 times
Maybe look at Waxahachie and Red Oak areas. There are still large lots down there, property taxes are lower and Waxahachie has all the amentities. Its less than 45 mins south of Dallas.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM

51 posts, read 106,560 times
Melissa is nice and expecting to grow. 75 will be 3 lanes to Melissa. 10 minutes from 380 in Mckinney.

We just got a new forum,

MelissaTexas.Net Community Forum - Home Has links to City of Melissa, schools, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas