Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:43 PM

37 posts, read 166,983 times

Advertisements

So I don't drink and I don't want to be around it and I don't want to see it at the stores and it just really irks me. Anyway, I stopped shopping in Balch Springs because of it and I've heard Mesquite is voting on whether to become wet or not today. I live in Seagoville and commute through Balch Springs to Mesquite everyday. I don't mind driving a bit to avoid seeing huge displays of alcohol in stores. I tried going to some of the B.S, stores after it went wet and just felt really uncomfortable and would much rather avoid that feeling.

Other then buying groceries on Amazon, what cities in the DFW area are still dry if Mesquite gives up the ghost today? I would be willing to go into Kaufman too, but I've no idea if they're wet or dry since they aren't on my way anywhere and I never shop there.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,160 times
Sorry but I just have to ask why does the presence of alcohol make you feel uncomfortable?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolina View Post
So I don't drink and I don't want to be around it and I don't want to see it at the stores and it just really irks me. Anyway, I stopped shopping in Balch Springs because of it and I've heard Mesquite is voting on whether to become wet or not today. I live in Seagoville and commute through Balch Springs to Mesquite everyday. I don't mind driving a bit to avoid seeing huge displays of alcohol in stores. I tried going to some of the B.S, stores after it went wet and just felt really uncomfortable and would much rather avoid that feeling.

Other then buying groceries on Amazon, what cities in the DFW area are still dry if Mesquite gives up the ghost today? I would be willing to go into Kaufman too, but I've no idea if they're wet or dry since they aren't on my way anywhere and I never shop there.

There are most likely many in the area, but the only two I can attest to for sure are Garland and Irving that do not carry any type of alcohol in their stores (although these are probably a distance from you).

Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM

37 posts, read 166,983 times
I hate to be around it and it offends me and I'd just rather spend my money elsewhere if possible. I've shopped in wet stores when there's absolutely nothing else available, but I would rather not give my money to wet stores, I've even avoided shopping in B.S. for anything since it because wet, except for my favorite Chinese resturant, but we're friendly with the owners and its not their fault B.S. has become another verison of Pleasant Grove.

I suppose there's always online shopping, at least then I won't be forced to see it.

Does Garland not sell alcohol in grocery stores? For some reasons I'd heard they did and Garland is pretty close to where I work so not too far out of the way. Hmm, ideas are wonderful.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,369 times
Are there any Brookshire's Grocery Stores (or SuperOne's....discount version of Brookshire's) ....in your area? The Brookshire family, based in Tyler, agrees with your thinking and does not carry alcohol in their stores.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
I hate to be around it and it offends me and I'd just rather spend my money elsewhere if possible. I've shopped in wet stores when there's absolutely nothing else available, but I would rather not give my money to wet stores, I've even avoided shopping in B.S. for anything since it because wet, except for my favorite Chinese resturant, but we're friendly with the owners and its not their fault B.S. has become another verison of Pleasant Grove.

I suppose there's always online shopping, at least then I won't be forced to see it.

Does Garland not sell alcohol in grocery stores? For some reasons I'd heard they did and Garland is pretty close to where I work so not too far out of the way. Hmm, ideas are wonderful.

Oops, you are right, Garland does now carry beer and wine in their stores, just like Richardson does. Okay, I only know of one for sure, Irving!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:

My neighborhood in the city of Dallas (Preston Hollow - the north end of Preston) is dry and the Tom Thumb here has no alchohol.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Garland is wet as is Rowlett. I don't know about Rockwall, I think they are still dry as there are no beer/wine stores and it is not sold in the gas stations.

I shop at the SuperTarget in Garland and the alcohol is located on one aisle all by itself. There is no need to even go down that aisle if you don't need to as nothing else is located on it but beer/wine. Every now and then they will have one small display on an endcap by one of the check out registers but that is it.

I still get a kick out of seeing people lost when we were still dry. You knew they were newcomers as they were lost looking for the beer/wine even w/o asking. I did ask some if they were looking for something in particular and sure enough........ beer or wine. They were in utter disblief that one could not purchase beer or wine in a grocery store. But I must say it blew my mind going into stores that sold it when I was traveling as I was not used to it. Of course that was in my much younger years.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I still get a kick out of seeing people lost when we were still dry. You knew they were newcomers as they were lost looking for the beer/wine even w/o asking. I did ask some if they were looking for something in particular and sure enough........ beer or wine. They were in utter disblief that one could not purchase beer or wine in a grocery store. But I must say it blew my mind going into stores that sold it when I was traveling as I was not used to it. Of course that was in my much younger years.
LOL I was probably one of those people. I don't drink often (2-3 times a decade apparently) but I do use beer to get roast tender or steaks. So anyway I was hunting high and low on a Sunday for beer. I had no idea (and I was probably 32 at the time time and lived here about 5 years by then) that you couldn't buy it where I was on a Sunday. I then started to look and didn't realize that there were 2 kinds of alcohol, hard liquor and beer and wine (like I said I don't drink so I wouldn't have noticed for apparently 30 years LOL). I do know this it seems a lot of stores have the alcohol on the same row as microwave popcorn or smoked almonds though

Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 PM
smh

53 posts, read 280,669 times
Talk about culture shock - back when liquor stores were few and far between around here and beer/wine wasn't commonly sold in grocery stores, I walked into a grocery store in California for the first time. First thing I saw was a HUGE end cap of Jack Daniels Couldn't believe they sold hard liquor right alongside the produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas