Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 PM

17 posts, read 62,982 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are in the UK and might have the possibility to move to the Plano/McKinney/Frisco area. I've done a lot of research on the area, but I haven't found anything about a possible British expat group. We'd love to move to the area, and if all goes well with the company we are with, we will be. But, it would be nice to know there was a group that got together for footie matches, etc.... A little taste of home.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,459 times
There are several European families around Prestonwood Country Club. I've met some there, seen flags at some homes and on cars. I also noticed some around Gleneagle Country Club, one even have a MiniUK number plate.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
A Couple who moved to Plano from London recently moved into my neighborhood in W. Plano. I met some brits who live in Sweetbriar in Frisco and they mentioned a UK group that got together. Let me know if you want more info and I will see what I can find for you. I traveled to London often in my oil and gas work while in Houston

Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,077 times
My parents are British ex-pats, but they've been here over 35 years. They have a very large group of British friends, so they were obviously able to find them pretty easily over the years, considering that was before the days of the internet...lol!

In Mckinney, you could contact Marie at Churchill's British Restaurant & Pub. She might be able to suggest where to go/look to meet other Brits. Restaurant

There is also the British Emporium in Grapevine. They may be able to give you suggestions too.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
There is a British expats meetup group in Addison about 15 miles from Plano
The Dallas British Expats Meetup Group (Addison, TX) - Meetup
British Mums and Tots in Dallas (Dallas, TX) - Meetup

Old 06-27-2013, 05:21 PM

645 posts, read 835,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingbacksoonfromUK View Post
Hi everyone. We are in the UK and might have the possibility to move to the Plano/McKinney/Frisco area. I've done a lot of research on the area, but I haven't found anything about a possible British expat group. We'd love to move to the area, and if all goes well with the company we are with, we will be. But, it would be nice to know there was a group that got together for footie matches, etc.... A little taste of home.

Thanks in advance!
Footie matches? Forget it! US is not for you then. I am dying for some good places/bars or people who are interested in football.

All i see is MLB/NFL/NBA. I have no problems with the NHL.

If you are really into football, you should look at North East or Seatle, Portland places where it is a little more popular than here in Texas.

In my 1 year here, I just found out one good bar called the Londoner in Addison. So if Dallas is the place you want Addison would be my advice.

P.S.: You would be missing Sky Sports as well!
Beware of Gus Johnson when you come to US, the absolute bottom of the pile, horrible football commentator i have ever heard.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:04 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
In my 1 year here, I just found out one good bar called the Londoner in Addison. So if Dallas is the place you want Addison would be my advice.
There is more than one Londoner, there is one in Frisco and one in Allen as well.

I'll second Churchill's in McKinney as well, and to a lesser extent The Pub a block away.

Plano also has a few pubs with the same type of feel, Scruffy Duffies is one, as is Ringo's Pub and the Gingerman, all in the Shops at Legacy in Plano.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Yeah... there are more than one. Addison is the one nearest to me. So i wrote it. On top of that Addison is not a bad place either. Its just that, getting drunk till 3AM and waking up at 8 in the morning to go to Addison is a problem for me!

I have to give Scruffy Duffies. I have been to most of the bars in Shops at Legacy, its all NFL/MLB/NBA.

Heck, no one is playing Wimbledon at the sports bar now that is on! No Rugby also. All the good sports are cut off!

MMA???? Gimme a break!

There is one bar/restaurant in Plano, Alan Wickers i think, I gave the guys over there a piece of my mind. They have all the football logos of clubs outside their bar, I went in and not a single TV had football on it!

Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
The Londoner is also in Frisco.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM

I have been to most of them at least once, but have to say, Addison draws the best crowds. Probably because it close to Richardson, and Richardson is diverse mix of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: