U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 02:33 PM

53 posts, read 188,354 times

Advertisements

I may be taking up a new job near the Galleria Dallas in north Dallas. I've got a 4yr and 2yr old. I'll be coming from the North East where $2K rent is average so ideally, I want to pay between $1.5-2K. Any suggestions on where I can rent while I get a feel for the area before purchasing? When I do purchase, I'll be looking at the $400/450K range.

Ideally, schools are my top priority so this should come first. Based on existing searches here, Plano and Richardson are areas to look in though within these cities are a bunch of smaller divisions.

Can anyone throw out some suggestions on where I should specifically look that is also close proximity to where my potential job would be?

I'm tired of apartment living as the kids want a nice yard to play in and a pool to swim in so a SFH in a good area would be ideal.

Thanks!

Last edited by haner; 06-29-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:13 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,706,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haner View Post
I may be taking up a new job near the Galleria Dallas in north Dallas. I've got a 4yr and 2yr old. I'll be coming from the North East where $2K rent is average so ideally, I want to pay between $1.5-2K. Any suggestions on where I can rent while I get a feel for the area before purchasing? When I do purchase, I'll be looking at the $400/450K range.

Ideally, schools are my top priority so this should come first. Based on existing searches here, Plano and Richardson are areas to look in though within these cities are a bunch of smaller divisions.

Can anyone throw out some suggestions on where I should specifically look that is also close proximity to where my potential job would be?

I'm tired of apartment living as the kids want a nice yard to play in and a pool to swim in so a SFH in a good area would be ideal.

Thanks!
Check out 75240, 75248, and 75080.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 AM

Hi,

Thanks for this info. Is there any particular reason why these 3 locations are better than the others? After more and more searching last night, most posts seem to favor the West Plano and Frisco areas. Both these areas seem like an easy shot south on the tollway to the Galleria area.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM

93 posts, read 147,570 times
^
Same amenities as W. Plano and Frisco but with less overall traffic, shorter commute and no daily tolls.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Thank you Are there any great apartments in those zips I should consider or are they mainly SFH's?

Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,706,681 times
There are some nice apartments around the Galleria and further up Montfort close to Belt Line. However, those are in the DISD (not good). If you're going to rent around there, make sure you wrap up your lease before your kids start school.

Richardson is not an apartment-heavy area. No idea about Plano but others here can advise you on that.

With a budget up to $2k you could rent a SFH. You might want to look into that too.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Thanks, BDG. If we're going to rent before we buy, we want to keep the budget low to save more for a DP towards a SFH.

My oldest will be in Pre-K in the fall so elementary schools aren't as important now as it will be in the fall of 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas