U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should Irving do with Texas Stadium?
Find another use for it 12 33.33%
Demolish it 24 66.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,760,533 times

Advertisements

As you all are aware of, the new Cowboys Stadium is under construction in tourist trap Arlington. The city of Irving plans on demolishing Texas Stadium for yet another Mixed-Used development, once its completed in 2009.
WHY?
I consider Texas Stadium a DFW if not a Texas LANDMARK!! I think it should be saved and the city of Irving FIND another use for it. The roof alone is a Landmark!
How many memories are going to go up in dust when the explosives go off to demolish it? I have several of my own.
What are your memories / ideas of its use after, if it were to be saved?

Not to compare us with Houston, but Houston IS KEEPING the Astrodome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,122,017 times
I do agree with you. I am sure they can find a way to use the property without tearing it down.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Status: "Soon to be fifty years since moon landing." (set 4 days ago)

46,562 posts, read 36,829,382 times
Question Maybe A Storage Shack For Memories

JV, ol' buddy, it's too late. All you'll have in '09 is a memory. The new stadium is going to be incredible, but Texas Stadium has had a great history with legendary players and the great stories associated with Cowboys lore, and it just plain ran its course. Even the Astrodome is not immune to possible demolition.

Now, in staying with your topic, if it were to be saved...... Holy grits, I don't know what you can do with it?? The largest high school football stadium in Texas?? I doubt it. It can't be converted to a convention center or hotel. I've ruled out lofts. Let's see.......

JV, it looks like you have me stumped on this one.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:39 PM

I don't know why it couldnt be used as a Hotel or Convention center....If we can put a Tollway next to the Trinity we can do that.
Then again in shopping obsessed Dallas, maybe we could convert it into a 20 level mall with the area under the "hole", be an open atrium......

Hey its a thought!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Status: "Soon to be fifty years since moon landing." (set 4 days ago)

46,562 posts, read 36,829,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I don't know why it couldnt be used as a Hotel or Convention center....If we can put a Tollway next to the Trinity we can do that.
Then again in shopping obsessed Dallas, maybe we could convert it into a 20 level mall with the area under the "hole", be an open atrium......

Hey its a thought!!!
Not bad.

By the way, you may want to check this out if you haven't already.

At the Crossroads of Dallas-Fort Worth | Re-Development Opportunities for a Post-Cowboys Texas Stadium

Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 PM

791 posts, read 2,014,246 times
I've never been in the place and really don't care what they do with it but as it is can have large use for events in need. However, I do have one observation about the stadium that I'd like to share...

From a highway perspective as approaching the stadium there is the white band with square windows, spaced regularly about the structure. Recalling the Cowboys playing at home, on TV, as the camera pans into the cheerleaders, the belt they wear reminds me of that white band with windows. So, from the approach the stadium looks like the belt line and hips of a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. Maybe to see it on a foggy day would help.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I've never been in the place and really don't care what they do with it but as it is can have large use for events in need. However, I do have one observation about the stadium that I'd like to share...

From a highway perspective as approaching the stadium there is the white band with square windows, spaced regularly about the structure. Recalling the Cowboys playing at home, on TV, as the camera pans into the cheerleaders, the belt they wear reminds me of that white band with windows. So, from the approach the stadium looks like the belt line and hips of a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. Maybe to see it on a foggy day would help.
I never thought of it that way but, your right......Too Funny!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 PM

897 posts, read 2,541,226 times
Isn't Dart putting light rail through or near Texas stadium? I thought there were already plans to create a transit oriented development...aka tear it down.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:16 PM

YEPPERS ...The Orange Line

DART.org - Orange Line Map

DART.org - Orange Line Expansion Information

Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 AM

455 posts, read 1,875,883 times
Knock it down. Texas Stadium was an eyesore the day it opened and, after wedging in additional circle suites and sticking escalators and elevators to the exterior wherever they'd fit, looks worse now. That piece of property is perfect for redevelopment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas