U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 AM

6,664 posts, read 8,645,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
Thanks for the input so far. I'll likely be flying out of DFW most of the time but will probably fly out of Love occasionally also. What would a commute from Coppell be like? And someone mentioned Addison to me yesterday - any thoughts on that?

Also, I'm having trouble finding any rental listings in Lakewood or the M Streets. Any ideas where I should be looking for these? Thanks again!
It will be competitive finding a place for rent in Lakewood or the M streets. Look on Zillow.com or just drive thru the neighborhood looking for "for rent" signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,015,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
Thanks for the input so far. I'll likely be flying out of DFW most of the time but will probably fly out of Love occasionally also. What would a commute from Coppell be like? And someone mentioned Addison to me yesterday - any thoughts on that?

Also, I'm having trouble finding any rental listings in Lakewood or the M Streets. Any ideas where I should be looking for these? Thanks again!
Addison is a better fit for single 30-somethings than for a young couple with children, although I would expect rent there is cheaper than closer in to downtown. Belt Line there is "restaurant row" but is more chain oriented rather than funky individualized places with atmosphere. Classic "city vs. burb" thing. The commute to DFW is not fun from there, either, and you'd still have to commute from there to Uptown (and that would mostly be on Dallas North Tollway, which means spending money round trip every day).

Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,973,678 times
My husband commutes from Coppell to the med center via 35, but he is usually going in on the early side. About 25 min if traffic is good, up to 40 or more if he is at the peak time. It hasn't been too bad for him.

It's also not too difficult to get to 635, the tollway (George Bush) or 35. I've traveled to all three often during rush hour and it's no big deal.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM

21 posts, read 45,879 times
Thanks for all of the help!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:04 AM

30 posts, read 19,598 times
Coming from a young family with a 20 month old and another on the way, live in Lakewood. We LOVED living in Uptown (my hubby commuted to DFW airport area- took about 20 mins) but were sick of living in a condo with no yard. There are several families off of Cole Ave with the large Cole Ave Park. Everyone took their dog and babies in the stroller there after work hours and I met some really great friends. Lakewood and Lovers and the Tollway area would be great as well. The only problem would be falling in love with an area and not being able to purchase a house there. We ended up buying near the Galleria area (north) where there were great schools and we could get an updated home with a pool and some of the best schools (elem to HS) in Dallas proper. We are close to Addison, but I feel very isolated up here. Most of the families have elementary-age children and are mainly here for the schools. It is a really quick drive to anywhere in Dallas from here, which is also a plus (quick as in 15 minutes or so.) You could look at renting a home in the Lake Highlands area as well, but I would prefer renting in Lakewood, Uptown, Lovers & Tollway.

I would have loved to live in the areas I mentioned before, but for our budget ($350k), it would not have been possible to get those things I just mentioned. There are tons of families in those areas and it is easy to network play dates and mom groups. And by the way, $2,000 is a pretty healthy budget for rent.

With that being said, do you even like going to restaurants and having plenty of "stuff" to do within walking distance? If you prefer a really quiet lifestyle and like to stay at home, then you may want to look in the burbs that you had mentioned before. Everyone is different and may not like being in the city.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 AM

30 posts, read 19,598 times
And by the way, finding a house to rent in the M-Streets that is not a total shack will be difficult on that budget. Most are not advertised online have signs in the yard. My husband (went to SMU) has friends who live in a crappy 2-bedroom teardown (though the lot is huge) in the M Streets near Knox Henderson and will be leaving next year because the owner (who lives across the street) is attempting to charge $4,000. No joke. I have never heard of rent being that high in the area, but the housing market is insane here right now with super low inventory and good homes selling with 1-3 days of being on the market, with multiple offers. Same goes for renting, so I hear, these days. Feel free to ping me if you have any more questions! If you don't have to have three bedrooms, just run over to the Gables Villa Rosa in Uptown or there are some nice apartments at Lovers and the Tollway where my friends live. They love being able to walk to Inwood Village. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 AM

170 posts, read 166,124 times
Don't rule out Uptown! You have the rest of your life to live in the suburbs and worry about schools. We have a place in the Knox Henderson area and there are plenty of young families around. It's not quite as dense as Uptown - yet!-and you have more townhomes than apt/condo living. You'll have great access to all the urban amenities, be close to work, 7 minutes to Love or 25 minutes to DFW.

Someone above mention Pavilion Townhomes..great area and ton to do within walking distance as well. Looked at it recently with my daughter and lots of families around as well (which she was not looking for!)..CLose to Uptown and the Park Cities, really sweet location..

Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 1,325 times
I would go for a townhome in Uptown or a house rental in the M Streets or Lakewood. All of these are great locations! You will be able to get a better feel when you come to visit Moderator cut: not allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-15-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM

873 posts, read 546,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlano View Post
I agree with TurtleCreek80's suggestion. That's a great neighborhood. Look at Pavilion Townplace apartments.

Pavillion Townplace is the trendy place for Park Cities people to live when there houses are being remodeled or when have sold their house and looking for a new one. It is behind Eatzies and Breadwinners and in a great location. Plenty of young families living there as well. They also have townhomes with attached garages. It is an apartment living, so not perfect, but a good place to start your Dallas experience. Lots of shopping, restaurants, centrally located and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas