Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

I'm a registered nurse and my family is thinking of relocating from San Diego (way too expensive) to the Dallas area, specifically McKinney. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to make money-wise as an RN there? Also, after doing research, it looks like Mckinney is a great place to raise a family, but we're open to other areas around the city as well. What are some pros/cons of Mckinney and what other areas would you reccomend. We're looking to either rent for less than 1400.00/month or buy for around 200,000. Any info will help, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM

19 posts, read 48,896 times
I cannot speak for the exact salaries of RNs in McKinney, but I do know that if you are experience and willing to work in a hospital environment you can do pretty well. Also, from what I understand, the hospitals all compete with each other for nurses and I would suggest you do not limit yourself to working in Mckinney. You might very well find you have the ability to live just about anywhere in the metroplex and make the same amount of money.

In terms of where to live, what are your requirements?
Nightlife
public schools (and what kind? elementary, high school, middle school?)
children's activities
type of home (new, pre-built, which era and style)
Do you have a spouse and do they have a job lined up or a specific industry? If so, where and what kind. Some industries are localized in specific areas and their commute may be unpleasant if you live in certain other areas.

Answering those questions will let people give you much more focused advise on where to consider living.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
McKinney just opened up a huge brand new hospital, Baylor Medical Center, on 380. There are several large hospitals within several miles, so if you do choose McKinney, you should be a good location for a job in health care.

McKinney does have homes for the budget you listed, but the hotter areas in West McKinney are going to be primarily $250k and up for the most part. You didn't give many details on what kind of house you're wanting, so I'll hold off saying anything else until you give us some more specifics on what you'd like, and then we can tell you if it's doable or not.

My wife and I have lived in McKinney since 2010, Plano before that, and we love it here. There's a couple other posters here who also live in McKinney, and for the most part we don't have too many negative things to say about it, other than retail and restaurants being somewhat sparse compared to neighboring suburbs like Plano and Frisco. Any questions, let me know, and good luck.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Find the job first! DFW isa bigger than a couple of n ew England states put together. You don't want to rent/buy and find the job is a solid hour and $$$ in tolls away. Stay in extended hotel if necessary.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Find the job first! DFW isa bigger than a couple of n ew England states put together. You don't want to rent/buy and find the job is a solid hour and $$$ in tolls away. Stay in extended hotel if necessary.
Totally agree. And be careful about McKinney as it is way in the NE corner of DFW metroplex and you will be limiting your job possibilities. Most of the better hospitals are much further south.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 PM

29 posts, read 43,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
100% do this. Do not buy until you know the area...should take you a few months to get that done. I rented a house in Plano near 75 @1300/mo for a year before I ended up buying close to McKinney in Fairview. (Nobody knows where Fairview is when I say it. I tell them "sandwiched between Allen and McKinney" It's lovely though.)

Unfortunately I lost my job in Allen and now must commute to Dallas. (If it is 9am, you can guarantee that I am muttering "I hate my life" under my breath repeatedly). 45 minutes is a really good day and I live very close to the freeway. You could very easily be in McKinney and be 15 minutes away from the freeway on TOP of the 45 it will take you once you're on the freeway.

I really can't speak for the medical jobs in the area...I've seen a nice medical center at 121/75 and another one in Craig ranch, but I know nothing about them. Of course there will be more as you go closer and closer to Dallas. Until you've got a job and understand the job market here, you really can't know where you'll end up. I think people tend to underestimate just how spread out everything is in Dallas.

That being said, I love where I live. I looked in Plano, Allen, and Fairview for homes. There are certain parts of each of those that I would never live, let alone buy. I can't even imagine what it would be like...living smack dab in the middle of that 121/ndt/75/gb block of land and trying to drive several miles just to access a freeway to get around each day. Or living far east Allen/Fairview where civilization ends. I did not consider McKinney as it was just too far North and I was worried that one day I might end up commuting to Dallas (little did I know how soon it would be!). Also one of the freeways in McKinney has been under construction the entire time that I've lived here...and it is a nightmare to try and drive up there most days.

Now I love where I live...I think it's a great place to raise a family. Quiet, safe, friendly neighbors, close to lots of great shopping and restaurants, peaceful at night. Just have to make sure that it's your type as well

Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
I agree with the other posters. I LOVE Mckinney, but I would find your job first and then figure out where to live. (Unless, of course, your significant other already has one lined up that is tying you to a particular part of the metroplex...then move near his/her job, and start your search from there). There are many great parts all around DFW and you don't want a long commute to ruin your experience here. Mckinney is wonderful, but as another poster mentioned, it is in the NE tip of the metroplex. If you are still hunting for jobs, it is better to rent somewhere more central first, then once you've gotten jobs (and had a chance to explore the various city neighborhoods and suburbs) you can make a more informed decision of where you want to end up long term.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZilyV View Post
Also one of the freeways in McKinney has been under construction the entire time that I've lived here...and it is a nightmare to try and drive up there most days.
You must be a pretty new arrival, since it's only been under construction for the past year and a half. Major highway expansions typically take many years to complete, especially when they are going from 2 lanes to 6 lanes each direction. Scheduled completion is July 2015....so 3.5 years total. That's actually pretty fast...well, assuming that they stay on schedule...but it's TXDOT so not likely

And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are about have to deal with that highway construction south of you too, as they are getting ready to further expand 75 through Allen and Plano. The highway will go from 6 lanes to 8 lanes each way, and construction will begin early 2014.

Project to expand U.S. 75 in Collin County to begin in 2014 | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 PM

29 posts, read 43,152 times
FML.

(A year and a half is exactly how long I've been here, btw!)

Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM

230 posts, read 398,228 times
Default TX license

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaptista420 View Post
I'm a registered nurse and my family is thinking of relocating from San Diego (way too expensive) to the Dallas area, specifically McKinney. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to make money-wise as an RN there? Also, after doing research, it looks like Mckinney is a great place to raise a family, but we're open to other areas around the city as well. What are some pros/cons of Mckinney and what other areas would you reccomend. We're looking to either rent for less than 1400.00/month or buy for around 200,000. Any info will help, thanks!
Hi ebaptista420,

I'm an RN and also just about to move myself, so please take my advise for what it's worth. First thing's first. If you haven't endorsed your RN license in TX yet do so ASAP. This way you could apply online and actually be considered. I don't know about median salaries of RN's in McKinney, I don't even know if there is even such a thing. I do know that what you make is going to be based on years of experience and other benefits which are part of the job package. Try some of the top nurse recruitment services. Also check out NursingSpectrum (www.nurse.com) for Dallas area. Good luck on your move .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas