U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM

7,324 posts, read 8,167,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Thanks. I've read that the Laredo ppl are kinda unique in that their popul and power structure was entirely Mex-American, so they didn't have the rampant discrimination that went on in other parts of the state. Heck, even Dr Hector Garcia had to attend a medical school in Nebraska because Univ of Texas Med School would only admit 1 or 2 mexican-americans each year. I appreciate the point that you're making. Maybe it's where I grew up?- Corpus Christi. When I was younger, other Mex-Americans from the real So Texas would comment that they thought that CC was redneck and backwoods. I didn't know why they thought that because I was conditioned to think that life there was "normal". But they must have thought otherwise for some reason. Maybe an older relative's personal experience there? I'm not sure. Compared to their 100% mex-american existence, maybe anything else appeared that way? Did your ancestor with the land have 100% mexican-american background?, Spanish surname? Half and Half?, Anglos surname? It's hard to imagine that the power structure and Anglo populace wouldn't try to swindle him out of his land.
Good post.
The Texas portion of his land is way north of Lorado actually closer to Midland than Lorado.
He was 1/4 German and 3/4 MX with MX sounding first and last names and he looked 100% MX according to my grandparents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 04:09 PM

301 posts, read 401,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyasscracka View Post
There you go with the race card...again.
If one doesn't want the race card played one should take it out of the deck. I recently told a radio show host how I lived through the civil rights era surrounded in the south by millions of racists. My simply question was this. Since I am still here then doesn't that mean those millions of racists are still here? Have they fallen off the earth? Are they all repented and sitting in the front pew of churches? Where are all those people that scared a little black girl to death when marshalls ushered her into an all white school for integrational purposes? How proud those people must be today. In reality, they won't ever tell anyone there participated in in such a hateful act. Many of these people are still here, though they have to operate more subtlely. I'm sure that officer isn't going around telling people how he was the officer that killed a 12 year old. They sit behind human resource desks denying equal opportunity, they sprew their hatred online where they fell safe to do so. But I agree with what Maher said on his program last night, the country is only one generation away from being rid of most of these old racists forever, and the country is going to be much better off for it.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:52 PM

591 posts, read 604,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyasscracka View Post
Why did they opt for Cal over TX?
I'll take a guess- More free stuff!
No, more opportunity.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,668,543 times
This took place just before I was born but it was talked about a lot growing in Midland living in mostly a Tejano neighbor hood. It's tragic for sure but I think people used it to paint Texas with a broad brush. Texas is not without it's issues but you didn't see anything close to this outside of Dallas. As for people who would rather live in California due to racism in Texas, can you say Rodney King? The only Race riots I remember took place in California. California has been and I still to this day pleagued with racism issues. Now do I think everyone in California is racist? No. I have driven one end of California to the other, probaly seen more of California than most Native Califorins and the state is full of good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or