U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,735 times

Advertisements

Recently accepted a job offer in Terrell and will be relocating from the MN Twin Cities suburbs at the end of August/Early September. We are originally from central CA, and have only been in MN for 2 years, but we hate it here (myself, wife and 2 yr old boy, with a second on the way)... Anyway, I would prefer to rent temporarily for 6 months or so to get a feel for the area before we purchase a home.

Looking for suggestions on rental properties within a 20-25 minute drive of Terrell. There are a couple apartment complexes in Terrell that look decent, but I can't find any reviews....My ideal location would be Rockwall, but the prices are significantly higher, which I'm guessing is for a reason.

How about Mesquite? There seem to be a lot more apartment options, its just a bit further drive.

Here's the kicker, we are looking for a 3 bedroom. This narrows our options down significantly.

I've been to Terrell/Forney/Rockwall, but didn't have much time to look around. My new employer will be flying us down for a few days to do some house/apt hunting at the beginning of August so I'd like to plan out a few places we want to look at when we are down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,340,236 times
Try Craigslist for some ideas...

Choose Dallas, then Apts/Housing (Also try the east Texas list)
Search for > Terrell, Title/Entire (your choice, the link below is from 'Entire Post')
I always click the 'Has Image' box

First result
1500 sq ft Brick house for rent hwy 80 (three bedr0om house)

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/apa/3900900538.html (two bedroom)

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/3950408828.html (Lake Tawakoni - I'd jump all over this)

I don't know anything about Terrell so can't make any recommendations but will help where I can.

Try https://www.padmapper.com/ for your search as well.

Good luck

Last edited by Willsson; 07-25-2013 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,713,515 times
What is your budget? Rockwall is a great community and has some reasonably priced housing. Did you look on zillow.com?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM

9,515 posts, read 19,538,289 times
The reason that things are cheaper in Terrell than in Rockwall is because Terrell is not nearly as nice. Its a much more "blue collar" community, and the apartments there are mostly older, and not nice at all. Honestly, I would only live in Terrell as a last resort.

Mesquite to Terrell is a fairly long commute. It's 20 miles each way. Personally, I wouldn't want such a long drive twice a day. The one advantage of Mesquite is there are a lot of apartments there.

Forney is halfway between Mesquite and Terrell. I'm not sure about apartments there, but there are a lot of houses, so you should be able to find a rental house.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,797,992 times
I know some people in Terrell.

Rent a home near the best school.

Rockwall schools are better and you might be able to find an older home on the edge of town closer to Terrell. A RE Agent in Rockwall would be able to help you.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the links, the townhouses in Terrell look like a great option (less 1 bedroom). Might be able to make it work for short term though.

Sorry, budget around $1000. Most houses I've been seeing want a 12 month lease, so I was thinking my best bet would be an apartment. Then I also don't need to worry about most appliances (specifically a refrigerator) or any yard maintenance, etc.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,492,540 times
rent a house in forney. Not sure what you can get for only 6 months though. If you have some time they are starting to build a brand new apartment complex in forney

Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,713,515 times
Be very cautious about renting anything on Craigslist. There are so many scams, so be on the alert and be sure you are actually renting from the owner or verified owner's agent. If the price seems incredibly low, in our very hot rental market, it very likely a scam. Google the names and addresses of any properties you are interested in to learn everything you can before giving anyone money or setting your plans on a property that might not materialize.

Recently, a house right on my street (for sale and listed at $625K) appeared as a rental on zillow.com for the monthly rate of $800. Holy scam! It had all the sales photos but not the address, just listed the zip code. I forwarded it to the sales listing agent and they reported it. So scams are not exclusive to CL, but seem more rampant there.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 PM

974 posts, read 1,761,745 times
Yeah... I'd second the recommendation to look in Forney. May be tough to find a rental but still worth a look considering your
work is just down the road in Terrell.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Been a little while since I posted, but figured I'd update....

Made 2 trips down to TX, the most recent was this last weekend after accepting an offer on our current home here in MN. We put an offer on a home in Fate which was accepted and we will be closing the first week of October.

Ends up being about a 35 minute drive to work in Terrell, so not too bad.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or