U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 PM

287 posts, read 301,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
No idea about the Orange Line (actually I think it will have little impact - I think for many years, most people riding DART from the airport will just want to get to their final destination), but Walnut Hill TOD has to burn the CityPlace guys right? That area is at least as decrepit as CityPlace is, and they get TOD and CityPlace gets a Sam's Club.
The fact that they would put a Sam's club near a rail station goes beyond me.

Some potential TOD around Rowlett, if they decide to have some sort of connectivity with the rail station.

Atlanta development firm working on mixed-use projects in Rowlett and Arlington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Tis article is kind of old, but it gives a picture on how much development there is around DART.

New study: Almost $4 billion in real estate projects in the works near DART’s rail stations

Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 PM

Here are some articles on TODs around DART stations.

Transit-oriented apartment project to be built in downtown Carrollton[/quote]

Editorial: The hot color is Orange, as in Irving’s DART rail line[/quote]

Verizon plans huge Irving development with office, residential and retail[/quote]

Old 06-16-2016, 05:33 PM

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dart-has-spent-5-billion-on-light-rail-is-it-worth-it-8380338

This article mentions TOD

Old 06-16-2016, 06:34 PM
mm4

5,712 posts, read 2,959,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
The ignorance of the author and one of the consultants he spoke with is breathtaking.

DART Rail, 20 Years and $5 Billion Later | Dallas Observer

City Line, as just one example--and the new apartments going up across the tracks--wouldn't have been where it is on the GWBT unless a DART rail station was right there.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The ignorance of the author and one of the consultants he spoke with is breathtaking.

DART Rail, 20 Years and $5 Billion Later | Dallas Observer

City Line, as just one example--and the new apartments going up across the tracks--wouldn't have been where it is on the GWBT unless a DART rail station was right there.
I agree, but they were right in saying the TOD around Dart stations is too spread out and not thought out well. If DART wants to increase it's bad ridership, it needs to create better spaces around its stations.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:28 PM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
I agree, but they were right in saying the TOD around Dart stations is too spread out and not thought out well. If DART wants to increase it's bad ridership, it needs to create better spaces around its stations.
I very much disagree that they're too spread out. Nowhere in the country will you find that things are remotely going to be mere steps away from a train station unless by happenstance.

The walking distances are well within reason around DART stations. Why would you think they need to be more congested?

What I particularly disagreed with the article about was that bus mass transit should even be considered for a Cotton Belt line. New, rough, uneven concrete road pavement and jarring, rattletrap, articulated truck frames that travel at low speeds on bouncy suspensions with worn out shock absorbers are not a long range, limited-access option. Especially over what is now purely rail easement.

Last edited by mm4; 06-17-2016 at 07:37 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
I very much disagree that they're too spread out. Nowhere in the country will you find that things are remotely going to be mere steps away from a train station unless by happenstance.

The walking distances are well within reason around DART stations. Why would you think they need to be more congested?

What I particularly disagreed with the article about was that bus mass transit should even be considered for a Cotton Belt line. New, rough, uneven concrete road pavement and jarring, rattletrap, articulated truck frames that travel at low speeds on bouncy suspensions with worn out shock absorbers are not a long range, limited-access option. Especially over what is now purely rail easement.
True, but other stations in the country do have development at least by the stations. DART's stations usually are surrounded by parking lots, and have little connectivity to the businesses and neighborhoods around it.

Also, BRT is not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. If planned well, a BRT system can be successful. Just look at Cleveland's Healthline.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:48 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,961,432 times
I know Parker is just a parking lot but Galatyn, CityLine and DT Plano are all within developments. DT Garland sits next to development altho the other side of Walnut is a parking lot.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:26 PM
mm4

Every system other than NYC MTA has transit station parking.

How is Parker any different from the Braintree terminus of the MBTA Red Line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas