U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 AM

5,955 posts, read 7,500,166 times

Advertisements

Great news for the northern suburbs of Dallas with this move. The strong growth will continue up that way which benefits Dallas as well as those suburbs of course. Big things happening along 121 these days, this new Cowboy development is just a few miles away from the NFM Grandscape project along 121 in the Colony. Too bad there are not trains that run out to these areas yet so the city folks could see whats going on!

Blue Star, Jerry's community development arm, had an office located within half a mile of the new HQ. Also it owns a large tract of land along the NDT at US380 in Prosper where the next "Starwood" is planned, so this was a no brainer for Jerry- let Frisco build him a facility and stimulate more growth to feed this real estate business. Too bad Jerry isnt as smart as a GM as he is business owner. He was wise to get this deal finalized before another medicore season or two dimenishes his bargaining chip value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM

988 posts, read 1,895,517 times
This is my own list of actual suburban stadiums that are in different municipalities than their namesake. If a stadium is immediately across a river from downtown, you might as well call it downtown. If a stadium is within the municipality of its namesake, I wouldn't call it suburban.

The real list consist of only:

Arizona - Glendale, Arizona
49ers - Santa Clara, California in 2014
Miami - Miami Gardens, Florida
Patriots - Foxborough, Massachusetts
Redskins - Landover, Maryland
Giants/Jets - East Rutherford, New Jersey
Bills - Orchard Park, New York
Cowboys - Arlington, Tx

I see something in common too. Definitely the owners that are thought of as the big players in the NFL(At least the Big 4 are represented here). The NFL only allows its owners to make certain revenue that isn't shared by the league. The biggest one is parking. When a facility is shared, such as venues like the Super Dome or Lucas Oil Stadium, parking is usually only controlled by the team during its events if ever. That's pretty much why the Falcons are moving next door to the Georgia Dome. Also, these suburbs usually have open funding mechanisms because of their usual lack of transit or a large number of hotel rooms, so the best stadium deals are found in these areas. Its always about the best deal for the owners and publicity for the city that hosts the team or venue. I still think the coolest venues are those immediately downtown or near downtowns. Coincidence or the need to design with some context?

The only ones benefitting are Jerry Jones and Frisco ISD(though they are paying a hefty pricetag. The development was happening whether this was included or not. It will probably take events away from places like Allen or Garland that have smaller indoor sports/concert venues.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,489,976 times
the more they build in the northern suburbs the worse traffic gets up there. Its getting out of control.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 AM

6,911 posts, read 9,594,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
the more they build in the northern suburbs the worse traffic gets up there. Its getting out of control.
You make a point that more development will fuel more traffic, but I travel down the 121 tollway and/or access roads everyday from McKinney to Frisco and I usually have no problem going the speed limit.

I see your location is Forney. Since your comment has no basis in fact, do I hint an aroma of sour grapes?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,978,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

I see your location is Forney. Since your comment has no basis in fact, do I hint an aroma of sour grapes?
To be fair, if I remember correctly, DaveG lived in Plano until recently. So I'd guess he's pretty familiar with Collin County traffic.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,489,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You make a point that more development will fuel more traffic, but I travel down the 121 tollway and/or access roads everyday from McKinney to Frisco and I usually have no problem going the speed limit.

I just moved to Forney 3 months ago. I lived in West Plano near the huge church on Midway and Park for a several years and traveled up to Frisco often because my girl friends kids lived there. You know what they say about assuming.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
To be fair, if I remember correctly, DaveG lived in Plano until recently. So I'd guess he's pretty familiar with Collin County traffic.
Oh, ok, Plano traffic! That's a different story

Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I just moved to Forney 3 months ago. I lived in West Plano near the huge church on Midway and Park for a several years and traveled up to Frisco often because my girl friends kids lived there. You know what they say about assuming.
Just having a little fun, I forget to put in all the signs when I do that. There are two large towers going in at Granite Park (SW corner of DNT and SRT) a large tower at Hall Office Park and another by this Cowboy Facility at DNT and Warren. I did have the thought that just these alone will add tons of cars to the area. Right now I don't have any problem moving in and out of the area.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM

743 posts, read 1,063,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
This is my own list of actual suburban stadiums that are in different municipalities than their namesake. If a stadium is immediately across a river from downtown, you might as well call it downtown. If a stadium is within the municipality of its namesake, I wouldn't call it suburban.

The real list consist of only:

Arizona - Glendale, Arizona
49ers - Santa Clara, California in 2014
Miami - Miami Gardens, Florida
Patriots - Foxborough, Massachusetts
Redskins - Landover, Maryland
Giants/Jets - East Rutherford, New Jersey
Bills - Orchard Park, New York
Cowboys - Arlington, Tx
To quibble, Glendale IS in Arizona and Foxborough IS in New England. Also the Redskins are flirting with moving back into DC and the Bills will probably be in Toronto soon enough. Then considering how few large parcels there are in NYC and Miami that makes the Cowboys and 49ers major outliers.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 AM

3,811 posts, read 3,708,952 times
Quote:
To quibble, Glendale IS in Arizona and Foxborough IS in New England.
Quibbling like that is what gets us the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, which is just embarassing and does no one any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or