Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 PM

18 posts, read 95,362 times

Advertisements

JVTX - That's pretty straightforward. I think I get it I'll just plan on bypassing Preston on the way to the mall, then!

Lakewooder - Thanks, that does help. It just seems like you need to trust what people who actually live here tell you about their areas ... The maps show crime everywhere, but there really are distinctions on how areas actually are. I'd just like to avoid getting held up at gunpoint in a parking lot if possible, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:55 PM

178 posts, read 788,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
kallie, the 'good' areas are mostly inside LBJ and north of I-30. However, Northwest Dallas is more dangerous than South Dallas/Fair Park (actually NorthPark Mall has more crime than Fair Park) and North Oak Cliff north of Jefferson is perfectly fine. Similarly the Cedars/Southside/Lamar just south of Downtown is great - besides the Dallas Police headquarters is there.

I am generalizing a bit but I'm trying to make it easier to understand.
I agree with NW Dallas being more dangerous. My cousin is a firefighter and was working the NW area and he said they recieved tons of calls every night, he was then transfered to East Dallas Lakeland/Ferguson station near where we live and he says that station is boring not a lot of action.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
The demographic difference between The Galleria and Valley View is like NIGHT & DAY!

Galleria: Rich
Valley View: Ghetto
yes I agree, I hardly ever go to valley view mall. The area around the galleria is not that bad, the galleria is very expensive, so i tend to go to either The Irving Mall, or Grapevine Mills.
If you were to have a map similar to that posted, of any city with a population over 500,000 you would probably have a very similar scenario, crime will inevitably be everywhere. Dallas is often looked down upon for its high crime rates though....

Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Most Dangerous Areas in DFW?

This is easy -- and I live in Oak Cliff --

The most dangerous places in DFW are the streets and highways. Folks hurt and killed there daily.

Highways just about anywhere.

Streets down on this siide of town, because of the old foks, punk kids with funked cars, non-english illiteracy, and general cluelessness.

Intersections on the North side, because everyone is in such a rush they run the red lights.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallie26 View Post
I agree with Charles -- looking at the crime stats map makes ALL of Dallas look dangerous. How can you really get perspective on it?

nativeDallasite, you said Valley View has gone downhill. I drove by last weekend and agree it didn't seem particularly nice. But how is the Galleria area? Most everyone I've talked to said it was nicer, but it looks like not too far away. Different demographic, or what?
The Galleria is still nice, though not as much as it used to be. The apartments near it are nicer than they used to be; that area is trying very hard to gentrify with mixed results.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,285,831 times
Geez, I haven't been to the Galleria in literally years. Don't get up that way much but I now work not too far from there, if you call the NW side of town not far, up by Farmers Branch. It looks like Korea town here, though, with a mix of businesses, some shady but most are legit. I know awhile back the police cracked down on some of the massage parlors nearby. Wonderful part of town to work in! What was I thinking?!

Old 11-17-2007, 02:20 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,436,960 times
I hate going to the galleria and would much rather go to Valley View, to each his own I guess. The parking at the Galleria is atrocious. I can get just about the same thing at Macy's Valley View as I can at the Galleria. I've been to Irving Mall and that is scary! The macy's there doesn't even carry ralph lauren!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I hate going to the galleria and would much rather go to Valley View, to each his own I guess. The parking at the Galleria is atrocious. I can get just about the same thing at Macy's Valley View as I can at the Galleria. I've been to Irving Mall and that is scary! The macy's there doesn't even carry ralph lauren!
Irving Mall is in no way LESS scary than Valley View. I agree with you about the Galleria; I'd rather roll the dice at VV than deal with the Galleria's crappy parking garages.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:05 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
DWF??! That has to be a typing error, isn't it?

Anyway, there are places in DFW that I would certainly stay away from. East Dallas, South Dallas, West Dallas, most of Oak Cliff, portions of northwest Dallas, Pleasant Grove, Rylie, and certainly the oldest areas of our cities and suburbs.

But I'll choose to look on the bright side, folks. The Trinity River corridor is finally going to be developed and I believe that there will be improvement all along the river. If the people hold true to their plans, it'd be a great way to start.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

. . . . it'd be a great way to start.

Basic law enforcement would be a great way to start.

Aint gunna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas