Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times

Advertisements

I understand the draw of the suburbs for families. It's exactly what drew my family to the Richardson/Garland areas at the first of the 80's when we were transferred in. At that time Richardson ISD was the #1 top-rated school district in the state (and continues to rank very high). We shifted northeast from this district to the GISD with the GISD development of G&T and IB programs. We could not have asked for a better or safer community or educational opportunties or lifetime friendships developed from that era -- without the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality & the drug use (check old news '90s clippings for the number of drug overdoses/suicides prevalent at the time in Plano.)

One must keep in mind that with the continued development and growth, movement and school district rankings will continue to shift as well (with the exception of HPISD perhaps). You may well consider all these factors and then some... but these will change in every area as a community/district ages.

And, rather than repeat myself, I'll just include a link to what I've already posted on the Irving Valley Ranch/Las Colinas area:

www.city-data.com/forum/1919044-post8.html

Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM

34 posts, read 78,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
What is it about individuals living in far north Dallas, west Plano, and west Frisco that you dislike so much? I can tell you from personal experience that these are in fact very nice people who have worked hard for their money, and while overwhelmingly conservative, are extremely tolerant, accepting, and level headed.
I've seen no attacks on individuals. I've seen people attack the cultures of an area as lacking character, lacking substance and other similar criticisms.

Quote:
Most are not from Dallas, but are rather transplants from other parts of the US,
I've lived in a north Dallas county suburb - Richardson - for a very long time. You'll find the attitude of attacking the "substance" - for lack of a better term - of far north Dallas and Collin county to come from lots of long time residents.

Quote:
What I find interesting about Dallas is that each area has it's own unique feeling, and it's own economic support base, including, but not limited to shops, eateries, malls, car dealerships, etc. No one needs to venture out of their immediate area to find everything they need.
Here you are correct. I get irritated similarly when people outside of the Dallas area talk about it in one sweep. I answer back at such accusations quite like you have here. Like most stereotypes there is a ring of truth to them. The stereotypes of far north dallas and Plano and beyond are, frankly, quite on the mark much of the time. To be honest those areas are a bit more diverse than the stereotypes give credit for but the stereotypes do generalize fairly well the prevailing attitudes.

Quote:
All in all, I'm just sick of reading about the blatant generalizations and obvious unwarranted dislike (possibly jealousy) hurled at individuals living in these areas.
I could live in an area far more expensive than where I live now. I don't want to. I'm glad they dislike the area I live in and want to live in Frisco. If they lived here they'd screw it up.

RichResident

Old 11-11-2007, 07:58 PM

58 posts, read 222,078 times
Quote:
Yes. I'm just tired of far north Dallasites being labeled as snobs, when these really are some very nice people. I think most everyone in Dallas is nice.

Possibly it's that those in East Dallas and Lakewood are just mad because their area is not regarded as particularly prestigious or is it well known (I moved to Dallas five years ago and never heard of Lakewood).

And also I keep hearing, everything "hot" is moving north. I can state confidently that far North Dallas, west Plano, and west Frisco will retain their grandeur and remain prestigious addresses, despite the growth that the area north of 121 is experiencing.
Actually, in real estate terms, it's location, location, location. Lakewood is considered to be a prestigious area with a lot of historical and architectural significance. Highland Park, Univ Park and Lakewood are all considered to be the best of Dallas "proper", with many wealthy people located in each of these areas. It's akin to being from Lincoln Park in Chicago, or perhaps Hinsdale, out in Western suburbs. of Chicago... but if you're not into that, it's okay. We won't judge you for it!

I am speaking for myself, but I don't tend to view anyone from the Northern areas of Dallas as snobby. The real snobbery happens in HP/UP or Preston Hollow in this city, where the outrageously rich folk (with deep roots here) live!!! (No offense to any HPers out there, but you know this is true) Just think of it this way, it's snobbism on a totally different scale there. N. Dallas simply can't compete that way, because it's based on the Texas "bluebloods". Oh, and money. Money that has been around for generations.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 PM

149 posts, read 386,770 times
I moved from the north shore area of Chicago--and I think the far north Dallas area is comparable to Winnetka, Glencoe, and Wilmette. Of course, much newer, but still.

Also, from my experience people in HP are not that snobbish. They are very nice people for the most part. Now, Preston Hollow is a whole 'nother story! But I think we as Dallasites should ban together, not fight.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,511 times
Quote:
Yes. I'm just tired of far north Dallasites being labeled as snobs, when these really are some very nice people. I think most everyone in Dallas is nice.

Possibly it's that those in East Dallas and Lakewood are just mad because their area is not regarded as particularly prestigious or is it well known (I moved to Dallas five years ago and never heard of Lakewood).

And also I keep hearing, everything "hot" is moving north. I can state confidently that far North Dallas, west Plano, and west Frisco will retain their grandeur and remain prestigious addresses, despite the growth that the area north of 121 is experiencing.
The very fact that you have made these statements actually says a lot about why you likely started this thread to begin with.

1) If you have been living in Dallas for the last 5 years and have never heard of Lakewood, then you are seriously uneducated about Dallas.
2) If you think "everything hot" is moving north and can "state confidently" such things about cities you do not live in, then why should anyone take seriously anything you say?

I say that because, after 5 years you know nothing about one of the oldest, most unique areas of Dallas, yet you know "everything" about suburbs elsewhere. WTF?

You may be tired of Dallasites being labelled as snobs. But I am tired of "Dallasites," who know nothing about Dallas after 5 years here, posting as if they know everything about the whole damn area!

Enjoy your stay -- I bet you live in north Dallas and are still wondering where it is!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 AM

149 posts, read 386,770 times
Where's White Rock Valley? Never heard of that either.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
From what I see and read Plano/Frisco people sometimes label Dallas as this giant horrible hood. When you read things like this and you live in Dallas people get upset.(and rightfully so)

What's really crazy is that you read stuff like this time and time again in all large metropolitan areas across City-Data. Suburban people seem to always down the big city. Even worse is when someone is writing about how crime ridden your communitiy is when it really isn't.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
I lived in northern suburbia. The people there thought I was crazy when I told them I was moving into Dallas proper. I can state this because I actually have experience living in Collin County: Most people in Collin County generalize Dallas proper as a crime ridden place with horrible schools. They truly are uninformed about Dallas. I'm not sure if it's because people, by nature, want to believe what they have is the best or what - but I can certainly tell you this is the prevailing thought in CoCo. Since many people use peers to validate or invalidate their thoughts - since so many people in CoCo say this, the general thought is that it must be true.

We have some friends, which are very nice people, that live in Plano. They're totally happy with their home and we enjoy visiting them as well as they enjoy visiting us. On their last anniversary, we watched their little one so they could go out for a night on the town. They went downtown and (even though I offered several great, unique destinations) ended up at TGI Fridays in West End cause they knew what it offered and knew where it was located. I believe this is a common trait of folks that live in suburbia. They are happy with chain restaurant food because it is familiar and consistent. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with chain restaurants, but to me, it's about the local options (and a lot of people I talk to that live in Dallas proper say the same thing) - the uniqueness of eateries and shopping that Dallas proper has to offer.

Is this to say that chains are horrible? Or people that frequent them are simpletons? Absolutely not. I think this does illustrate some of the differences in preferences of people that live inside/outside 635 though. Some folks believe their preferences are absolutely right - as compared to right FOR THEM. Both sides have supporters that are guilty of this issue.

Suffice it to say that I enjoy the uniqueness that is Dallas. I love places like Il Sole, Legal Grounds, Tony's, etc. This is why Dallas proper is right for me. I'm perfectly happy with a limited chain restaurant choice. I personally LOVE trying new restaurants, and Dallas proper offers many, MANY more unique options than Collin County.

Brian

Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Where's White Rock Valley? Never heard of that either.
That is because there is NOT a "White Rock Valley". Geez. There is White Rock LAKE which is down by the Arboretum and the community of Lakewood, Lakewood Country Club and east Dallas. Sorry, those are areas most people in the far burbs never venture to. What a pity, but hey, I'm glad as I DO enjoy going ALL OVER THE ENTIRE Dallas metropex including East Dallas and it keeps the crowds down.

You hit the nail on the head when you said that people in places like Plano, Frisco and McKinney can live w/o ever having to venture far from home. What a pity. To live life in a bubble when there is SOOOO MUCH out there. Yes, I'm a native Dallasite and there is probably not a road in all of Dallas that I have not been on and part of that is I grew up w/ parents that hauled us EVERYWHERE! I've done the same w/ my kids. We don't just "settle" for what we have out our front door w/in a 5-10 mile radius. I do not wish to live in a bubble either. We know of restaurants on the other side of the world practically for many people but if that is what we want we jump in the car and go. If I want the typical chain I have that right here by me. Yet when those cravings hit for Matt's.......... I'm there . Pssst, it's not any good so don't bother venturing that far from far suburbia I don't want a long line greeting me when I get there of people in a hurry . As the previous poster said about a couple that went to TGIFriday's in the West End and probably passed by a couple on there way to get there, how sad and what a waste . If that was not so sad it would be just down right pathetic. Anyway, just look at the people that have posted on here or that you meet that say they heard that places like Fair Park are dangerous and won't go. They don't know for sure as they are just going off what someone else w/ no experience has told them. Probably another transplant that was told by another transplant that was told by another transplant............etc. They are so missing out on SOOOO MUCH and it is just a total disgrace to always hear this b.s. over and over and over from people that are frankly ignorant yet they think they know so much.

If you don't believe there is any of this "snobbery" in the places like West Plano, Frisco or McKinney towards people in other areas then the next time someone asks you where you live just answer, "Garland". See their reaction. Then ask if they have even ever been to "Garland". Again it is another case of false misconceptions based on false stereotypes that have been repeated over and over and over by ignorant people. They don't have any firsthand knowledge of the place nor have they even met or talked to anyone firsthand about living or visiting the place yet they believe it and continue to spread the lies. When I hosted my sisters baby shower most of the people here came from McKinney. I had to put in a map on how to get to Garland right off of 190 because they had NO CLUE where it even was. All they knew was someone told them it was "bad and full of crime". Boy were they ever shocked to see just how "bad" it was. I seriously think some of them thought they were going to get carjacked just coming here . None of them have even been to the mall here that is VERY NICE because it is IN Garland. GASP! Yet those of us over here in big, bad Garland venture all over the place and will go to Plano, Frisco, downtown Dallas, Fair Park, East Dallas, Lakewood, etc. Most of that has to do w/ an overwhelming majority of the people here actually grew up here in the Dallas area. So I'm kind of glad that it has not experienced the explosive growth that other areas have as the attitudes that come w/ that are not here. There is VERY MUCH a snobbery alive and well in places like West Plano, Frisco, Allen & McKinney. I've seen it all too often. Anyway, I've got to get going and get over to West Plano to the BMW dealership. Yes, those of us over here in this crime ridden cesspool drive cars like BMW's.

BTW, there are several big time CEO's living over here too. One is a good friend and neighbor and you will see his name in the paper often, on tv often, at all of the high society Dallas functions, etc And he lives IN GARLAND! lol

Old 11-12-2007, 08:05 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If you don't believe there is any of this "snobbery" in the places like West Plano, Frisco or McKinney towards people in other areas then the next time someone asks you where you live just answer, "Garland". See their reaction. Then ask if they have even ever been to "Garland". Again it is another case of false misconceptions based on false stereotypes that have been repeated over and over and over by ignorant people. They don't have any firsthand knowledge of the place nor have they even met or talked to anyone firsthand about living or visiting the place yet they believe it and continue to spread the lies. When I hosted my sisters baby shower most of the people here came from McKinney. I had to put in a map on how to get to Garland right off of 190 because they had NO CLUE where it even was. All they knew was someone told them it was "bad and full of crime". Boy were they ever shocked to see just how "bad" it was. I seriously think some of them thought they were going to get carjacked just coming here . None of them have even been to the mall here that is VERY NICE because it is IN Garland. GASP! Yet those of us over here in big, bad Garland venture all over the place and will go to Plano, Frisco, downtown Dallas, Fair Park, East Dallas, Lakewood, etc. Most of that has to do w/ an overwhelming majority of the people here actually grew up here in the Dallas area. So I'm kind of glad that it has not experienced the explosive growth that other areas have as the attitudes that come w/ that are not here. There is VERY MUCH a snobbery alive and well in places like West Plano, Frisco, Allen & McKinney. I've seen it all too often. Anyway, I've got to get going and get over to West Plano to the BMW dealership. Yes, those of us over here in this crime ridden cesspool drive cars like BMW's.

BTW, there are several big time CEO's living over here too. One is a good friend and neighbor and you will see his name in the paper often, on tv often, at all of the high society Dallas functions, etc And he lives IN GARLAND! lol
You're right; a lot of people have 'tude about Garland. My grandmother lives there, as do my aunt, uncle, and one of my cousins; my aunt and uncle raised their kids in Garland and sent them to Garland schools and one of them turned out OK. The other didn't, but I don't think he'd have done any better anywhere else.

There are some parts of Garland that aren't as nice as they used to be; the part where my relatives live is nearish to La Prada and NW Hwy; basically they're as far east as you can get in Garland without being in Mesquite. I've seen some really beautiful parts of Garland but there's no doubt that the area where my relatives live is in decline; I've been visiting there since infancy and the area has changed a hell of a lot...and not for the better. That's not to say that the whole suburb is bad; it definitely isn't. There are areas in Garland that are gorgeous. There are parts of Plano that are just as bad as parts of Garland, and neither of them can hold a candle to the worst parts of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas