U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM

23,623 posts, read 31,208,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpunto View Post
When looking on Google Maps, it seems like most of the highways/freeways are toll roads.

Is it really difficult to get to destinations via regular highways/freeways or is the use of toll roads necessary?

For those who reply, how much do you spend on toll fees each month?
No, that isn't true unless you live in certain parts of the metroplex. I can see how you might think that if you live near DNT and 121, but I rarely use tollroads. I live along the 75 corridor, and that's where work is too. I rarely take DNT anywhere. Oddly enough the toll road I use most is GBT, but even then I use it maybe 1-2 a month TOPS.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM

2,119 posts, read 5,493,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
That is why it is optional. No one is forcing you to take the toll roads. I give you that DNT is pretty bad at the stretch that you mentioned above between rush hours. NTTA has plans for widening that section in the near future. Trust me, nobody is getting rich off these toll roads. It takes a lot to maintain these roads. When people say no to any gas tax increase it is almost impossible to fund our infrastructure. The last federal gas tax increase was in 1993. A study by Texas A&M concluded that by raising gas tax 5 cent we can construct 80% of the future roads in Texas and with 10 cent increase all projects can be built for the next 10 years without any tolls.

As you can see the automobile technology has advanced a lot in 20 years. With a lot more energy efficient cars on the road, not everybody is paying their fair share to use them. Going to a VMT system will make a lot more sense.

Read this article. Very shady stuff.
The Secretive North Texas Tollway Authority Board Readies Another Human Sacrifice - Dallas - News - Unfair Park

Old 07-29-2013, 02:40 PM

11,681 posts, read 21,274,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpunto View Post
When looking on Google Maps, it seems like most of the highways/freeways are toll roads.

Is it really difficult to get to destinations via regular highways/freeways or is the use of toll roads necessary?

For those who reply, how much do you spend on toll fees each month?
I commute about 40 total miles a day via Tollroad. It costs about $80-100/mo depending on how much I'm traveling.

If you are Tollroad adverse, you really need to plan your home purchase / rental around Tollroad avoidance. If you live anywhere in the "golden corridor" along the Dallas North Tollroad (suburbs including Addison, West Plano, Frisco, Prosper, etc), it's pretty much impossible to commute downtown or to Las Colinas / DFW without using a Tollroad. There are either no alternate highways going those directions or they will take you 20-30 minutes out of your way. If you work downtown and focus on homes in the US 75 or I-30 or I-35 cooridors, then you'll never be on a Tollroad.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Outstanding article! I wish the local media would spend more time investigating and exposing these people, but I guess that's hard when they stonewall on information requests.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:19 PM

6,167 posts, read 9,468,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Outstanding article! I wish the local media would spend more time investigating and exposing these people, but I guess that's hard when they stonewall on information requests.
Yeah and if you think a quasi-public entity like the NTTA is shady, watching over Cintra will be even harder. They are not beholden to the public at all.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM

7,299 posts, read 8,144,604 times
Quote:

Forming an opinion from anything in The Observer is risky business. That's just an idiotic article. Cities the world over build in flood planes all the time. The author needs to take trip to Holland and then Japan maybe quick drive to New Orleans too.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM

7,299 posts, read 8,144,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
It's a stupid article that is full of nonsense.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Forming an opinion from anything in The Observer is risky business. That's just an idiotic article. Cities the world over build in flood planes all the time. The author needs to take trip to Holland and then Japan maybe quick drive to New Orleans too.
Holland doesn't build out side of it's dikes/levees

The Trinity Parkway Project was proposed within the levee's. Plus, it was just a terrible plan, even if the Tollway were engineered to withstand flooding. It basically connected southeast Dallas with Irving, and had very few entrance ramps, and wouldn't have decongested traffic on 35e or 175(which isn't congested anyway). Hardly anyone is going back and forth between those places.

D Magazine : Let's Ditch the Trinity River Toll Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's a stupid article that is full of nonsense.
Care to explain?
LOL, this should be good...

Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,798,980 times
Quote:
People that are saying the toll roads dont have stop and go traffic do not commute regularly on the Dallas North Tollway at around 7:30-8:30am or 5:00-6:30pm. Its gridlock that you pay for. I used to take the tollway from plano into downtown every day. Recently I moved to Forney and my commute is about the same distance and Im saving about $200 a month on the lack of toll roads. I think toll roads are a rip off and someone is getting rich off them. Im so happy I dont have to use them regularly any more.
We have toll roads because TX is a big state and people in Amarillo do not want to pay taxes ( Ie get ripped off ) for people in DFW to drive on new roads.

As for "getting rich" you can download the NTTA Financial Reports. Please go through them and find out who is getting rich - with most of the money going to pay bond holders who make very little.

I agree with you on the congestion. But I drive against traffic most days.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,798,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Yeah and if you think a quasi-public entity like the NTTA is shady, watching over Cintra will be even harder. They are not beholden to the public at all.
LOL.

Sure. I hear people with the word "blue" in their name have devil worshipping parties in their basements. But, its the people with "red" in their name that are totally unaccountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or