U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 39,254 times

Advertisements

When looking on Google Maps, it seems like most of the highways/freeways are toll roads.

Is it really difficult to get to destinations via regular highways/freeways or is the use of toll roads necessary?

For those who reply, how much do you spend on toll fees each month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM

502 posts, read 613,529 times
I would say it's not accurate that most of the highways are toll roads in Dallas. Having said that I say I would rather travel on toll roads, do 70 mph (most of the time) and avoid congestion. You will end up paying more in gas by sitting in traffic for hours, not to mention the pollution.

I pay about $125/mo in toll charges. You almost always have the option to take the free roads.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM

974 posts, read 1,758,592 times
The toll roads can make driving the busy DFW area less taxing timewise. Of course the N. Dallas Tollway can slow-down a lot at 635 and at 121 during the typical evening rush-hour. You don't always need to use a toll road but after you get a feel for time-of-day traffic surges/patterns....you'll find that some are no-brainers to use. There are the parallel roads that run alongside some toll roads (Like Dallas Parkway) where you can avoid toll but you'll wind up with stop & go traffic stops AND it gets busy during peak traffic.

There are really just a handful of toll roads in Dallas but they do cover a lot of territory so it only seems like there are a lot.

The Tolls aren't like in other cities where you pay a flat rate.... they are pro-rated (if that term is correct) based on where you enter and where you exit. You don't physically pay...you get what is called a Toll Tag that is auto-sensed at your entry / exit. You'll need to set up an account that gets auto billed to your credit card when you get below $20 on your account (I believe that's correct). You can apply online and get online statements to monitor your toll fees. You may pay $0.55 cents for one leg...or $0.75 cents for another or $1.90 for another...it's all based on distance.

Here's a weblink that shows the Toll Rates on Dallas Toll Roads....click on the T's on the map and a pop-up should display the rate for that particular Toll point. https://www.ntta.org/roadsprojects/r...oll-Rates.aspx

Another more definitive rate by chart: https://www.ntta.org/roadsprojects/r...te-Charts.aspx

I travel DFW infrequently so I can't address an average monthly toll fees... this topic has been mentioned on other threads here in Dallas forum...perhaps a search will help you out.

For more info, here's the official TollTag link: https://www.ntta.org/Pages/default.aspx

The website offers smartphone apps and traffic reports to help you with your daily traffic needs.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 07-29-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 AM

664 posts, read 1,406,989 times
The only major toll roads in DFW are SRT, Bush, and DNT. There are three lesser toll roads: Mountain Creek, Lake Lewisville, and the Addison Airport tunnel. There's also the DFW airport if you want to count that. So no, most highways/freeways are not toll roads. Off the top of my head, I35E, I35W, I20, I635, I30, I820, 360, 114, 183, most of 121, I45, US80, and Loop 12 are all non-toll. I'm probably missing a few. If you don't live or work where the toll roads are then the toll roads are largely unnecessary. I used to dodge toll roads but eventually decided it just wasn't worth the time in most cases. These days I generally minimize my toll road usage but don't worry to much about avoiding them entirely. I use a very small stretch of Bush on my daily commute. It runs me $.50 each way for I guess about $20/month.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 PM

974 posts, read 1,758,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
The only major toll roads in DFW are SRT, Bush, and DNT. ..... These days I generally minimize my toll road usage but don't worry to much about avoiding them entirely. I use a very small stretch of Bush on my daily commute. It runs me $.50 each way for I guess about $20/month.
Another way to look at it is to consider how much gas a toll road may save you from being in stop & go traffic or having to drive a bit more to avoid a toll. In some cases it becomes a wash as far as costs go, but then there's the time difference.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM

2,119 posts, read 5,486,895 times
People that are saying the toll roads dont have stop and go traffic do not commute regularly on the Dallas North Tollway at around 7:30-8:30am or 5:00-6:30pm. Its gridlock that you pay for. I used to take the tollway from plano into downtown every day. Recently I moved to Forney and my commute is about the same distance and Im saving about $200 a month on the lack of toll roads. I think toll roads are a rip off and someone is getting rich off them. Im so happy I dont have to use them regularly any more.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,436,212 times
Quote:
The only major toll roads in DFW are SRT, Bush, and DNT. There are three lesser toll roads: Mountain Creek, Lake Lewisville, and the Addison Airport tunnel. There's also the DFW airport if you want to count that. So no, most highways/freeways are not toll roads. Off the top of my head, I35E, I35W, I20, I635, I30, I820, 360, 114, 183, most of 121, I45, US80, and Loop 12 are all non-toll.
There's also the Chisholm Trail Parkway in Tarrant & Johnson Counties, and all that construction on 635 and the 121/114 interchange near the airport will have toll lanes as well. Plus, the planned I-35 construction from Denton to Dallas calls for toll lanes.

Also, 635 will be demand tolled, meaning it could cost you up to $1 or more per mile depending on when you use it.

Every major construction project on the books in DFW has a toll component to it.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM

664 posts, read 1,406,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
There's also the Chisholm Trail Parkway in Tarrant & Johnson Counties, and all that construction on 635 and the 121/114 interchange near the airport will have toll lanes as well. Plus, the planned I-35 construction from Denton to Dallas calls for toll lanes.

Also, 635 will be demand tolled, meaning it could cost you up to $1 or more per mile depending on when you use it.

Every major construction project on the books in DFW has a toll component to it.
Good call on Chisolm Trail. As far as the other stuff, having toll lanes and being a toll road are not the same thing. I've seen the implementation of toll lanes on I-85 in Atlanta. There's really not much difference between toll lanes and HOV lanes. The highway works just like it always has but there is the option to pay to get in a lane with less traffic in it. Avoiding tolls in that case is very, very easy. Just stay in the free lanes. I personally prefer that option to a dedicated toll road.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
People that are saying the toll roads dont have stop and go traffic do not commute regularly on the Dallas North Tollway at around 7:30-8:30am or 5:00-6:30pm. Its gridlock that you pay for. I used to take the tollway from plano into downtown every day. Recently I moved to Forney and my commute is about the same distance and Im saving about $200 a month on the lack of toll roads. I think toll roads are a rip off and someone is getting rich off them. Im so happy I dont have to use them regularly any more.
That is why it is optional. No one is forcing you to take the toll roads. I give you that DNT is pretty bad at the stretch that you mentioned above between rush hours. NTTA has plans for widening that section in the near future. Trust me, nobody is getting rich off these toll roads. It takes a lot to maintain these roads. When people say no to any gas tax increase it is almost impossible to fund our infrastructure. The last federal gas tax increase was in 1993. A study by Texas A&M concluded that by raising gas tax 5 cent we can construct 80% of the future roads in Texas and with 10 cent increase all projects can be built for the next 10 years without any tolls.

As you can see the automobile technology has advanced a lot in 20 years. With a lot more energy efficient cars on the road, not everybody is paying their fair share to use them. Going to a VMT system will make a lot more sense.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Good call on Chisolm Trail. As far as the other stuff, having toll lanes and being a toll road are not the same thing. I've seen the implementation of toll lanes on I-85 in Atlanta. There's really not much difference between toll lanes and HOV lanes. The highway works just like it always has but there is the option to pay to get in a lane with less traffic in it. Avoiding tolls in that case is very, very easy. Just stay in the free lanes. I personally prefer that option to a dedicated toll road.
Bingo. You beat me to it. I was going to say the exact same thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or