Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,850 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking into relocating to the Dallas area. I currently live in Charlotte, NC. I am not familiar with any areas in Dallas, however, I've heard great things about Cedar Hill. I would like an area that is mainly white middle class. How is crime in CH? Is there a problem with illegal immigrants? How far is the drive to downtown Dallas and how bad is traffic? Taxes, utilities, jobs? I don't want to spend more than 200,000 for a house. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,634 times
Cedar Hill is a nice, safe community in southwest Dallas County. With the exception of being mainly White, the city meets all of your other criteria. According to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 American Community Survey, no racial group in Cedar Hill forms a majority of the population. The city is roughly 47% African American, 40% White, and 17% Hispanic/Latino (who can be of any race). That population is mostly middle-class however. It takes around twenty minutes or so to drive from Cedar Hill to Downtown Dallas on U.S. Highway 67. There will be traffic as the area continues to grow, but compared to some of the suburbs north of Dallas that are more populated and have greater traffic congestion, its not that bad. You can find a nice home in Cedar Hill for under $200,000. The city also has an ample amount of retail businesses and restaurants. It also sits on the eastern shore of Joe Pool Lake, which is a popular recreation area.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
If you want a mostly white neighborhood you will have to look at the northern burbs. Plano, Frisco, Allen are the most popular. The nicer parts of Garland, Rowlett and the city of Rockwall would also be good fits. Most of the burbs in south and south eastern sections of the city will be alot more diverse. There are sizable white populations in these area's and a few may be majority white but the higher numbers are certainly in the northern burbs. For and example I live in the nicest part of Mesquite. My area is roughly 40% white, 35% black, 20% hispanic and 5% other. You will get alot more for your money in the southeast and southern burbs. We do have alot of illegal immigrants but to be honest I have been around them for so long that I just accept it for what it is. I would suggest you drive around the neighborhoods in Cedar Hill, Grand Prairie, Mesquite etc. and compare it to the northern burbs. Once you get a feel for both area's you can make a better decision on what works best for you. Knowing what part of town you will be working in makes a huge difference since DFW is so spread out.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:02 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Hi, I am looking into relocating to the Dallas area. I currently live in Charlotte, NC. I am not familiar with any areas in Dallas, however, I've heard great things about Cedar Hill. I would like an area that is mainly white middle class. How is crime in CH? Is there a problem with illegal immigrants? How far is the drive to downtown Dallas and how bad is traffic? Taxes, utilities, jobs? I don't want to spend more than 200,000 for a house. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
you going to have to move north for that

Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
You can forget finding middle class White people in Cedar Hill. Its mostly Black middle class. Not that that's a bad thing, jus sayin'.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 AM

640 posts, read 1,731,747 times
I'm pretty sure there are some neighborhoods in Cedar Hill with alot of white people though. I visited a friend whose mother lives over there and her entire block was white. They lived in a SUPER nice house too. You could probably get alot more for your money in CH and get to avoid alot of traffic as well. CH in general is mostly black and middle class, however.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
My ex gf used to live in Cedar Hill & she was Filipina. You won't find many Asians there either however.

Here is an ethnic break down of Cedar Hill

1. Black
2. White
3. Hispanic
4. Asian

Old 05-13-2010, 01:44 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Cedar Hill is a nice, safe community in southwest Dallas County. With the exception of being mainly White, the city meets all of your other criteria. According to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 American Community Survey, no racial group in Cedar Hill forms a majority of the population. The city is roughly 47% African American, 40% White, and 17% Hispanic/Latino (who can be of any race). That population is mostly middle-class however. It takes around twenty minutes or so to drive from Cedar Hill to Downtown Dallas on U.S. Highway 67. There will be traffic as the area continues to grow, but compared to some of the suburbs north of Dallas that are more populated and have greater traffic congestion, its not that bad. You can find a nice home in Cedar Hill for under $200,000. The city also has an ample amount of retail businesses and restaurants. It also sits on the eastern shore of Joe Pool Lake, which is a popular recreation area.
^^^^As I pointed out in this post, 40% of Cedar Hill's population is White. Yes, the city has a large and growing Black middle-class population and they are now the largest racial group in the city, but there is still a sizable middle-class White population as well.

Over and over again, the southern suburbs are portrayed as if they are hypersegregated communities that are 90% or 100% percent Black and that people of other races don't live or choose to live in them, form only an insignificant percentage of the overall population, or are somehow unwelcome (a totally absurd & baseless claim), none of which is true. They may be known for having significant Black middle-class populations, I count myself among them, but it doesn't mean that they are racially exclusive. The southern suburbs are ethnically diverse communities containing residents of many different backgrounds. Those of us who actually live in these communities have pointed this out on many occasions.

The following is the full racial demographic makeup for Cedar Hill, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 American Community Survey:

46.7% Black
39.6% White
2.7% Asian
0.1% American Indian and Alaska Native
8.8% Some other race
2.1% Two or more races
16.9% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)

Last edited by Acntx; 05-13-2010 at 03:12 AM..

Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 18,093 times
Thumbs up Cedar Hill prettiest area

I have lived in CH for 20 years. White and have a mixed neighborhood. Everyone is nice, clean, responsible and neighborly. My area is mixed housing, not a division. We have a neighborhood home for sale now at 278k that has 3.3 acres and a very nice second house for rental or what. Great buy. Division homes go for about 120-200k but some areas are way on up. Older homes go from about 80k up. CH now has upscale shopping and many restaurants. Cedar Hill is the highest altitude in north Texas and we have CH state park and Joe Pool Lake. A hilly beautiful area with Cedars creating year round greenery. I Love It.

Last edited by cedarkid; 05-13-2010 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: add a word

Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 AM

164 posts, read 501,944 times
If you are sensitive to the white black racial issues from the deep south, North Texas may not be a good fit. North Texas is much more diverse and you will not find a lot of hicks with racist attitudes. There are some but that is definitely not the culture here. CH has more blacks than other suburbs. But the other suburbs have lots of Asians, Mexicans, East Indians, South Americans, Whites and other races. Oh yes, don't forget that there are many Muslims here as well. DFW is a cosmopolitan city and if you don't like that, then Alabama, North Carolina or even South Carolina may be better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas