U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

794 posts, read 1,351,381 times

Advertisements

Land rush for North Texas home lots sends prices sky high - Dallas Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM

3,812 posts, read 3,712,909 times
Quote:
dropping their availability to 50,721 from 92,750 in the past five years, according to Dallas-Fort Worth research firm Metrostudy.
That means about another 5 years worth of lots are still available, and Plano has plenty of other land that is blank or could be redeveloped. That probably means something like 10-15 years at the low end before Plano is fully built out and older neighborhoods start being redone.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 AM

"The housing market’s triumphant return to North Texas has burned through existing home lots, dropping their availability to 50,721 from 92,750 in the past five years, according to Dallas-Fort Worth research firm Metrostudy."

These figures are for whole North Texas, not Plano only. Renovation, remodeling & recounstruction is already taking place in West Plano's sought after neighborhoods.Empty lots are hard to find and expensive. There are no lots available in 75093, where everyone wants to buy.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...o_TX/type-land

Old 07-30-2013, 01:04 PM

3,812 posts, read 3,712,909 times
Quote:
These figures are for whole North Texas, not Plano only.
Ahh you are correct. That number seems low to me for such a large area, so my assumption was it was just one city.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,797,085 times
The impact is just not on the availability of new lots and new subdivisions for home buyers, but the supply chain is also becoming hard to schedule, ie framers, pad work, plumbers, etc due to the rise in demand. This is having an impact on developers who want to get developments to market.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The impact is just not on the availability of new lots and new subdivisions for home buyers, but the supply chain is also becoming hard to schedule, ie framers, pad work, plumbers, etc due to the rise in demand. This is having an impact on developers who want to get developments to market.
True. These are luxury custom builders so they can't cut as many corners as volume or entry luxury builders. I can't wrap my head around people going crazy over new tract homes in exurbs. Why pay more for poor construction, iffy schools, bland subdivisions and remote locations? Builders are hardly keeping up with the demand and quality is getting sacrificed.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,297,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
True. These are luxury custom builders so they can't cut as many corners as volume or entry luxury builders. I can't wrap my head around people going crazy over new tract homes in exurbs. Why pay more for poor construction, iffy schools, bland subdivisions and remote locations? Builders are hardly keeping up with the demand and quality is getting sacrificed.

Why? because not everybody has $600K+ to drop on a custom built luxury high end house in your beloved West Plano. Try and get out of your Plano bubble and see how the vast majority of people in the DFW metroplex live. Yes Plano is very nice, with great schools and Willow Bend is pretty. But the rest of us are not going to die because we arent living there. We'll tough it out and survive somehow. I like Plano, but I'm getting sick of this Plano cult worship on this forum. People can prosper and succeed in other parts of the metroplex. It's ironic that you label all the non Plano suburbs as exurbs...ask any long time Dallasite and they will tell you that was Plano 30 years ago. Some distant hick place located next to a cow pasture. How times change.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM

Plano is not the only alternative. All over DFW there are nice pre existing homes of good quality for every budget. Its just surprising that people just assume that newer is better. Just last weekend a guest at a party was crying about his foundation by Lennar.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 PM

350 posts, read 619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
...ask any long time Dallasite and they will tell you that was Plano 30 years ago. Some distant hick place located next to a cow pasture. How times change.
I'm sure there are a fair few who will tell you that that's how Plano is today. As a matter of fact, I see it here every-so-often.

I do agree with your post though, as much I like my fair city. Worshiping anywhere as the only place to live is silly. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 PM

This comment was more towards poor new construction then anything else but yeah I'm not a very sensitive person and offend people easily, should read my posts twice before posting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or