U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,177,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Mom and Pop shops are not rare nor short-lived in Lakewood. Whenever a chain store opens, people complain.
True!! So many are totally pizzled over Chipotle coming into Lakewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post

pizzled = pissed & puzzled ???

Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 AM

72 posts, read 137,377 times
Coppell might be worth a look. Average house in Coppell is well below what the OP wants but there's some really nice homes off of bethel school road (Carter Dr, Rolling Hill Rd) that are much larger, huge lots with big trees. Some of them back up to a green belt.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,976,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
For now.
Fair point. I used to think that about George Bush a few years ago, and then I drove on it the other day in rush hour...and HOLY COW, can you say traffic!!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,976,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
pizzled = pissed & puzzled ???
Ok, my fav new word

Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Mom and Pop shops are not rare nor short-lived in Lakewood. Whenever a chain store opens, people complain.
Quote:
Bet nobody complains about the Whole Foods. And people are "pizzled" about Chipotle? Geez. I bet their heads would explode if they came in and built a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. So presh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Fair point. I used to think that about George Bush a few years ago, and then I drove on it the other day in rush hour...and HOLY COW, can you say traffic!!
Yup...people keep pouring into the area, it's ridiculous. They can't build roads fast enough.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,177,749 times
Quote:
Bet nobody complains about the Whole Foods. And people are "pizzled" about Chipotle? Geez. I bet their heads would explode if they came in and built a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. So presh!

Yup...people keep pouring into the area, it's ridiculous. They can't build roads fast enough.
Yeah. Well...that Minyards was a dump of a grocery store. And then there were homeless folks living on the roof. So yes, they welcomed Whole Foods into Lakewood. It really cleaned up that corner.
Personally, I think Chipotle is a good fit for the area based on their food sourcing methods.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Yeah. Well...that Minyards was a dump of a grocery store. And then there were homeless folks living on the roof. So yes, they welcomed Whole Foods into Lakewood. It really cleaned up that corner.
Personally, I think Chipotle is a good fit for the area based on their food sourcing methods.
Didn't see what was there before, but really all you had to say was "Minyard's".

Chipotle's food is packed with GMOs. Nice that they label them, though it would be better if that labeling was not confined to their website. Last I looked, they did not label these items in the stores.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM

11,672 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Quote:
Didn't see what was there before, but really all you had to say was "Minyard's".

Chipotle's food is packed with GMOs. Nice that they label them, though it would be better if that labeling was not confined to their website. Last I looked, they did not label these items in the stores.

Total detour, but Vani Hari who writes the blog "Food Babe" has been investigating Chipotle for over a year. She pressured them hard enough to finally put their ingredients on the website in March 2013. Lots of gmo's and preservatives; none of it overly healthy unless you want to stick to a meatless salad.

Food Babe Investigates - Chipotle Ingredients Now Available

Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Actually, some people did complain about Whole Foods coming in and Minyard's leaving. Minyard's attracted all income levels. The Minyard family grew up in the neighborhood, went to Woodrow and their first store in the chain was on Lindsley in Mount Auburn.

The first Wyatt's Cafeteria was in Lakewood and grew to be a large chain all over the southwest. The Lakewood El Chico was the oldest in the company and a couple of employees had been there for over 40 years -- there were many howls when they 'rebranded' to Cantina Laredo and doubled the prices saying Lakewood was too upscale for El Chico. We see how that worked out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or