U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM

9 posts, read 21,041 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My fiancé and I will be relocating to the Metroplex fairly soon and we are wrestling with finding a good spot to settle in. We are both in our late 20s with no children (yet) and a medium sized dog. My job will be in Irving near 183 and 12. She is in the medical field and will possibly be covering the Fort Worth and Mid Cities for her territory. We will be renting to start and would like a 1-2 bedroom place hopefully under $1000/mo. We enjoy our time at home but we also like to get out to the occasional bar. We like to check out new restaurants, farmers markets and some live music. We try to get out with out dog as much as possible and in San Antonio we take her to the dog park regularly. I like to get out and mountain bike and play all sorts of sports. We are looking at Las Colinas, Irving, and Arlington currently but really do not know too much about the area. My fiancé cones from out of state where they actually have trees and would really appreciate some nice scenery again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
North Oak Cliff / Bishop Arts area might work out for you...

Old 08-02-2013, 01:21 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,385,586 times
You may also try out the Casa Linda area and around the east side of White Rock. The houses are a little cheaper due to the schools. It has lot of biking with White Rock a stones throw away, along with some local farmers market. The drive to work will not be the best, but its not terrible. Its going to be a little difficult to find a house with that budget in a "pretty" area.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:09 PM

12 posts, read 14,216 times
I think you might have to prioritize lifestyle vs commute. I live in Irving and I have to say that it leaves much to be desired if you're a young couple who loves the outdoors, farmer's market, etc. On the positive side of things, there's the Coppell farmer's market which is close enough to Las Colinas. There's also the campion trail which is great for running. But, there's no community, IMO. (Although, with that being said the Irving running club was formed recently and brings with it great promises for us outdoorsy folks.) To me, it lacks a fun atmosphere. Disregarding your commuting challenges, I'd recommend Lakewood, Little Foresthills, Oak Cliff, Addison Circle, Uptown maybe. Good luck! There's a whole lot of great neighborhoods in Dallas, I am sure you'll find one that makes you guys happy.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:10 PM

50 posts, read 82,130 times
Addison would be a good mix of convenience to your jobs and a decent amount of stuff to do. Should be within your price point too. House doesn't seem feasible for $1000 but an apartment would be for sure.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:22 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
Addison to central Irving is not going to be a fun commute. The two options are an expensive toll road, or the construction mess on 635 and crowded Loop 12. Casa Linda will be an even worse commute as there is no direct route, and one of the two options is about to undergo a total reconstruction.

I will agree with Bishop Arts, or just settle for Las Colinas.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 PM

643 posts, read 564,786 times
Irving. That is the best option for you!

Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Addison to central Irving is not going to be a fun commute. The two options are an expensive toll road, or the construction mess on 635 and crowded Loop 12. Casa Linda will be an even worse commute as there is no direct route, and one of the two options is about to undergo a total reconstruction.

I will agree with Bishop Arts, or just settle for Las Colinas.
For scenery with trees and hills I was thinking over your way in Grapevine or Bedford areas.
Especially if she is going to be working in FtW. Plenty of neat places in FW to go for drinks and dinner.

Apartment prices will be much better also with plenty of parks for walking and dog parks.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
For scenery with trees and hills I was thinking over your way in Grapevine or Bedford areas.
Especially if she is going to be working in FtW. Plenty of neat places in FW to go for drinks and dinner.

Apartment prices will be much better also with plenty of parks for walking and dog parks.
I will second this as an area to look at. Lots of trees. Access to Ft Worth or Dallas would not be too difficult. Between "trips"(used lightly) to the primary cities you would have several secondary locations for filler, food, drinks, etc.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:30 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,447,065 times
OP,

What your wanting doesn't really exist in the suburbs here. I agree with the other posters, and will second the North Oak Cliff(75208) and East Dallas(75208, 75214, 75218) suggestions. Properties there sometimes advertise the old fashioned way, by just sticking a sign in the yard. While your visiting Dallas, those are good areas to start your search. You may also want to check the zip codes I listed on Padmapper.com to see if anything looks interesting. Also check out Power Proporties.

Downtown Dallas(75201, 75202, 75204) might be another fun option to look into. DT Dallas may not be naturally beautiful, but it definitely has lots of urban beauty with great walking, proximity to the Dallas Farmers Market, near Deep Ellum Nightlife/independent restaurants, and lots of young professional neighbors. DART rail goes to Irving, and the TRE goes to the mid cities. All the rail lines begin and end in DT Dallas.

Camden Farmers Market: This building is right next to the Farmers market, it's near lots of good parks(Main Street garden Park, Klyde Warren Park, Exall Park), you can walk to Deep Ellum, which has many home grown non-chain restaurants and bars, and downtown is getting a new independent grocery store

Marquis at Texas Street: Very close to downtown, and close to the highway.

Amili Bryan Place: This building is on a quiet tree lined street, and really close to Exall Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or