U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,241,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
The skyscraper isn't the way even in Houston. Most of what is being built in the area is of the campus variety. Did you know that Brown and Root built a campus like development east of downtown Houston over forty years ago? It now sits almost abandoned. Where is Brown and Root now? In another campus in west Houston. And what did Chevron call its new complex of skyscrapers in downtown Houston? Why, they called it a campus.

Skyscrapers will still be built in and around the downtown area of Dallas the way they should be. Just on occasion and in spirts.

I can see ATT building a rather small headquarters in downtown Dallas or in Uptown and a rather large campus out in, well, the Telecom Corridor.
AT&T's downtown HQ takes up 4 buildings. So, if they replaced their HQ totally, it would be a large building. AT&T isn't moving out of downtown anytime soon. They said they are committed to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 PM

581 posts, read 751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
AT&T's downtown HQ takes up 4 buildings. So, if they replaced their HQ totally, it would be a large building. AT&T isn't moving out of downtown anytime soon. They said they are committed to downtown.
Okay, but being committed to downtown doesn't mean that the majority of the company can't move elsewhere. The momentum right now seems to be out in the Telecom Corridor. ATT is a telecom company. Keeping a small headquarters based in either downtown or Uptown and the majority of the company based in the telecom corridor would seem ideal.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Okay, but being committed to downtown doesn't mean that the majority of the company can't move elsewhere. The momentum right now seems to be out in the Telecom Corridor. ATT is a telecom company. Keeping a small headquarters based in either downtown or Uptown and the majority of the company based in the telecom corridor would seem ideal.
Binkyman, if they wanted to be there, they would have moved there when they came from San Antonio.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 PM

581 posts, read 751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Binkyman, if they wanted to be there, they would have moved there when they came from San Antonio.
Isn't that complex downtown too far from the light rail line? And aren't three of those buildings quite old? I mean, all of those buildings are old, but three of them are like ancient. Let me go check them out on google.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM

3,818 posts, read 3,734,396 times
AT&T already leases several offices in the telecom corridor; they are mostly terrible buildings imo - no parking garages, very limited amenities. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them are closed in the next 10 years because they don't have the amenities that are part of AT&T's future live/work cultural plans. If not closed, they will need some renovations.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 AM

8,567 posts, read 9,366,916 times
AT&T - think SWBell - isn't going to abandon their buildings in downtown Dallas. That includes three large parking garages as well. And those buildings in Richardson include some DSL/uVerse support facility. They may expand the telecom area but it's a downtown company. And that those buildings are three streets over from the DART rail is not a problem for ATT. Just don't be late.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,459,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
this sounds like a broken record...this pattern has been reversed.
Yes I agree, but...

Some companies still haven't got the memo, and the reversal is recent. I think population trends are reversing too. The 2020 census data is going to be really interesting.

Urban shift has Americans bidding farewell to suburbs - Video on TODAY.com
Morning Joe

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,859,317 times
A corporate campus in the works for downtown:

Council committee moves forward on Reunion Arena land swap with Hunt/Woodbine | City Hall Blog

"...The working plan appears to be some sort of corporate campus with residences and entertainment mixed in"

Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,701,457 times
Quote:
Skyscrapers will still be built in and around the downtown area of Dallas the way they should be. Just on occasion and in spirts.
I hope you're right, but how much longer must this great city wait? It's literally been decades since the last truly significant (IMO) skyscraper was built downtown. I'm not counting Museum Tower as it's residential.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Isn't that complex downtown too far from the light rail line? And aren't three of those buildings quite old? I mean, all of those buildings are old, but three of them are like ancient. Let me go check them out on google.
My mom works at the AT&T HQ. They moved her from the Whitacre Tower (One AT&T Plaza) to Four AT&T Plaza. I went inside of Four AT&T Plaza and I could tell it was recently renovated. The floor my mother worked on looked pretty modern. (Four AT&T was constructed in 1948)

Two of them are really old, the other two were built in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas