U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 4,025 times

Advertisements

Regarding Southlake, we love the area and have liked the homes we saw their. We hesitated when we read some reviews in local publications. For example, D Magazine wrote, "the schools are among the best around but highly competitive. Since 2000, the Carroll Dragons have been state champions at girls golf, wrestling, boys track, girls soccer, girls cross-country, boys swimming, boys cross-country, football, boys golf, boys baseball, and boys soccer—oftentimes more than once. This, from the Carroll Dragons booster club website, sums it up: “There is no day off for a Dragon. Dragons know they are expected to excel.”"

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Regarding work, I am commuting to downtown, in the Arts District. I work at the Harwood Center on Bryan and Harwood. I am good with commuting for up to an hour each way if I do it one day a week. I'd trade that for great schools, great neighborhoods, and maximizing our house.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM

27,669 posts, read 45,211,794 times
This will sound biased--but compare demographics for the varous towns you are considering...
I think the % of Asian students in Plano are a factor in the competitive nature...
Carroll is basically white-bread district--there is not the drive for success there that you read about among Asian families...there are some Asians but density factor is not on par with Plano from what I have read...

I had friend who taught AP English at Carroll HS after a career at LD Bell in HEB ISD...very different demographics--and she was surprised and dismayed that so many of her students at Carroll were less motivated than the ones from lower income/mixed ethnicity at Bell...
she thought she would be "moving up" to better pickings but that wasn't really what happened...
Carroll students know they will get into college one way or the other--
just different culture when the athletics side is often more praised/respected than the academics...
You can get good education there but the social mileu is pretty strong
Of course in ANY TX district you have mega horserace between those at the top 1% of class rank because they want to be in top 10 recognition...
it opens so many doors in/out of state for university choices....
so the cream is always churning to be butter...
but after that ratings are mixed I think...

Old 08-06-2013, 12:41 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,779,893 times
Based on your description, I would pick other burbs before SL. SL is going to have a low percentage of civil servants and other governmental employees (like military) compared to other cities. .

Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Based on your description, I would pick other burbs before SL. SL is going to have a low percentage of civil servants and other governmental employees (like military) compared to other cities. .
Any suggestions?
In Northern VA, many people are feds....here there seem to be very few of us, though some.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM

9,540 posts, read 19,619,542 times
The only military base in DFW is NAS JRB on the west side of Fort Worth, so you will not find many military people away from the base. As for civil servants, they are scattered throughout DFW depending on where they work, and how far of a commute they are willing to tolerate. (Example: the lady who lives next door to us in Grapevine is a federal employee who works in downtown Dallas.)

As others have said, your budget will not go as far in Southlake as in other cities, and Coppell has very high property taxes when compared to other cities.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,779,893 times
I wish I had a suggestions for civil servants and military, but really I don't. Unfortunately, with the exception of Southlake an Plano, I am not that familiar with the burbs. There are other people on this site with better information.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 AM

27,669 posts, read 45,211,794 times
IF being close to other military families is that important you should check with the human resource office/personnel at the base
I am sure they have idea about where most of their families living off base are situated...

Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 AM

9,540 posts, read 19,619,542 times
The communities where most military families are:

Lake Worth
Saginaw
Azle
Aledo
White Settlement (I don't recommend this one.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or