Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM

23 posts, read 71,807 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the M street area.We have the opportunity to move to Austin but are on the fence about what to do.We are in our 30's and have a 1 1/2year old.We hope to have another child in the next few years.

Our top priorities for the future are being in the safest area possible,with good schools,near shopping and entertainment.We have enjoyed living in the M streets,we have been here for 6 years.I have never been totally comfortable with the crime surrounding our area,we have had 2 break ins in the time we have lived here,we were out both times.We prefer public schools over private schools in general.We have decided that if we stay in DFW (Husband works in Plano,I am a stay at home mom)we want to purchase a house in a good public school district and live in an area with low crime on a large lot.Our price range is under $400,000.We want to attempt to spend less than what we did on our M Street house this time around.We are originally from New Hampshire,we moved to Nashville after college,then here.I loved Nashville.We lived in Franklin.We moved to TX for work related reasons and have enjoyed our time here as well....just not as much as Nashville.

I have heard good things about Prosper in general from a number of people my husband works with and a few old neighbors who moved there recently.Love the large lots and feel of the area.It reminds me somewhat of Franklin,TN.It seems like if we do not do Austin,that will be our first choice.Frisco is the less expensive option,the property taxes are less in the areas we are looking (in Lewisville ISD).In Frisco we looked at Lakes on Legacy and Heritage Lakes.We are turned off by the lot sizes and back alley ways in Frisco,but like the low tax rates.Property taxes in Prosper are higher.We like the idea of being off the tollway and Preston Rd,so either Area works as far as that goes.I also like the idea of being close to Stonebriar Mall and the kid friendly activities in the area.

Which ISD is a better choice Frisco or Prosper?

Will the lots in Prosper stay large?From what I. have read the are no lots under a quarter acre.Will they put in neighborhoods with back alley ways? Iunderstand the purpose of alleyways but they are a huge turnoff for us.

Which area has less crime?

I see the buildout for Prosper is 65,000,Frisco close to 260,000. What do you think will end up going in as the building continues in Frisco and Prosper? Is there a lot size requirement in Frisco?

Thanks for the insight

Last edited by Prius732; 07-01-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius732 View Post
We currently live in the M street area.We have the opportunity to move to Austin but are on the fence about what to do.We are in our 30's and have a 1 1/2year old.We hope to have another child in the next few years.

Our top priorities for the future are being in the safest area possible,with good schools,near shopping and entertainment.We have enjoyed living in the M streets,we have been here for 6 years.I have never been totally comfortable with the crime surrounding our area,we have had 2 break ins in the time we have lived here,we were out both times.We prefer public schools over private schools in general.We have decided that if we stay in DFW (Husband works in Plano,I am a stay at home mom)we want to purchase a house in a good public school district and live in an area with low crime on a large lot.Our price range is under $400,000.We want to attempt to spend less than what we did on our M Street house this time around.We are originally from New Hampshire,we moved to Nashville after college,then here.I loved Nashville.We lived in Franklin.We moved to TX for work related reasons and have enjoyed our time here as well....just not as much as Nashville.

I have heard good things about Prosper in general from a number of people my husband works with and a few old neighbors who moved there recently.Love the large lots and feel of the area.It reminds me somewhat of Franklin,TN.It seems like if we do not do Austin,that will be our first choice.Frisco is the less expensive option,the property taxes are less in the areas we are looking (in Lewisville ISD).In Frisco we looked at Lakes on Legacy and Heritage Lakes.We are turned off by the lot sizes and back alley ways in Frisco,but like the low tax rates.Property taxes in Prosper are higher.We like the idea of being off the tollway and Preston Rd,so either Area works as far as that goes.I also like the idea of being close to Stonebriar Mall and the kid friendly activities in the area.

Which ISD is a better choice Frisco or Prosper?

Will the lots in Prosper stay large?From what I. have read the are no lots under a quarter acre.Will they put in neighborhoods with back alley ways? Iunderstand the purpose of alleyways but they are a huge turnoff for us.

Which area has less crime?

I see the buildout for Prosper is 65,000,Frisco close to 260,000. What do you think will end up going in as the building continues in Frisco and Prosper? Is there a lot size requirement in Frisco?

Thanks for the insight
Schools and overall zoning are better in Prosper..Less rear entry garages too!

If I were considering either of the two I would take Prosper and just use all the awesome ammenities of Frisco and return home to my larger quieter lot in Prosper.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
The long commute will be a net negative as your kids get of school age. It is also a big cost with gas and tolls.

Plano is your best bet.

If you want a larger lot, try Murphy or Parker.

Another option is Castle Hills.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the input so far

One of the reasons we are considering Prosper or Frisco is to shorten my husbands work commute. My husband works in North Plano in the Legacy area.The commute to our current area,the M streets is about 40 -45 minutes.

If we do south Frisco (Lakes on Legacy/Heritage Lakes )it could be about 5-10 minutes,Prosper about 15-20.We timed it each we already.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The long commute will be a net negative as your kids get of school age. It is also a big cost with gas and tolls.

Plano is your best bet.

Thanks for the input so far

One of the reasons we are considering Prosper or Frisco is to shorten my husbands work commute. My husband works in North Plano in the Legacy area.The commute to our current area,the M streets is about 40 -45 minutes. Murphy and Parker are in an area that is too far away from the tollway and Preston Rd. for us.We prefer the Frisco/ Prosper area asethically regardless,but also for convenience of my husbands commute.

Commute wise,if we do south Frisco (Lakes on Legacy/Heritage Lakes )it could be about 5-10 minutes,Prosper about 15-20.We timed it each we already,depending on traffic.

Plano we ruled out.No offense to Plano.....I personally have never loved the feel of the area.I think it has to do with loving the look of our M street area and loving the look of an area like Prosper.The 80s-90s in between is not for me.If I am not in a remodeled tudor like we have in the M streets I want to be in an area with newer style homes and construction.I think it is a great place for shopping (I like Wllow Bend Mall alot).We know a number of families who have moved from Plano to Frisco and Prosper and they have been really happy.Word of mouth is what got us to look into both areas....

We feel like if we do not do Prosper,Frisco would be the less expensive alternative.At this point if we do not do Austin ,I feel like I need to be a bit away from the hustle and bustle of Dallas.Frisco would be the cheaper option over Prosper.When we first looked at the houses in our price range in Plano all seem to have back alley ways and small lots.Even if we went up to $500,000 it seems like that is still the case.

Read more: Questions about Prosper and Frisco

Last edited by Prius732; 07-01-2013 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 PM

92 posts, read 169,961 times
I'm not sure if you are actively looking in Plano as there are many front or side garage homes available and there are homes of every age and style. Of course you can get more house in Prosper for obvious reasons. I don't see why would one pick Frisco over Plano but new dry wall has its pull. All of us know people who sell homes in Frisco, Allen, Prosper, Carrollton, Dallas etc when children are middle school age and they have money to buy in nicer West Plano neighborhoods. I have three on my own street.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

Plano is your best bet.

Long commute???? Now I'm not a Prosper booster by any means, but that is NOT a long commute if spouse works in North Plano. That's very doable from Prosper. And yes, you can get a large lot for $400K there. The schools are still a bit of an unknown, so you will be rolling the dice there...and Prosper ISD is definitely NOT better than Frisco ISD, not by a long shot. That being said, it's still a young and growing district and your kid is young so you have time to move if you dont like what you see...

Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,695 times
I'm a bit confused because in one post you asked if Frisco ISD or Prosper ISD was better, but then in another you are mentioning neighborhoods that are Lewisville ISD. Which school districts are you looking at (or is it all 3, really)?

Prosper will give you the lot size you want but you will have to drive to Frisco for most things, like shopping and entertainment. Prosper will probably go through some growing pains for a while, like parts of Frisco did a few years ago (and still is to some extent). Think about roads needing to be widened and things like that.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I'm a bit confused because in one post you asked if Frisco ISD or Prosper ISD was better, but then in another you are mentioning neighborhoods that are Lewisville ISD. Which school districts are you looking at (or is it all 3, really)?

Prosper will give you the lot size you want but you will have to drive to Frisco for most things, like shopping and entertainment. Prosper will probably go through some growing pains for a while, like parts of Frisco did a few years ago (and still is to some extent). Think about roads needing to be widened and things like that.

I should have made the ISD question a but clearer..

We want to compare Prosper, Frisco and the schools in Frisco that fall into Lewisville ISD.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Have you looked at the older historic part of McKinney? This is where I live, I work at 121 and the Tollway in Frisco (same general area as your husband) and my commute is 20 minutes or less. It would have that historic, eclectic feel of the M Streets and the schools are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: