U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,569,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Some builders are giving Frigidaire appliances. Whirlpool probably is a upgrade over Frigidaire.
No. Or rather "not necessarily". Whirlpool and Frigidaire are roughly similar in terms of overall quality, but there's a WIDE range within each brand from lowest quality to highest. It's not like saying "SubZero" or "Viking" or "Thermador", which are only high end brands. How much you want to bet that the "Whirlpool" appliances aren't near the top end of their scale?

I'd agree with everyone else. Appliances are pretty easy to price out. Unless you're talking about a built-in fridge or a cooktop on a counter where there's additional work required aside from standard installation (and with a bigger cooktop you may also need a larger vent hood), price out the "upgrade" and you'll likely find you're better off getting the cheapest appliances you can and replacing them with higher end items.

(also, I'm not sure "ceramic tiles in kitchen" is something I'd want. Tough to clean, easy to break. BWDIK?)

BTW- do they give a price for an "upgrade" to "Whirlpool Appliances", or is this another of those things that one has to guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 01:16 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinD View Post
Remember, that $1000 upgrade won't cost you $1000. It will cost you $1000 plus 15-30 years of interest.
This is one thing I'd disagree with, IF the price of the "upgrade" is actually in line with the cost to do it after the house is built (that's a BIG "if"). The "15-30 years of interest" will likely be at one of the lowest rates one can borrow at.

There have been virtual reams written on financial discussion boards on the question "pay down the mortgage early vs. invest the funds elsewhere", but the short version is that with mortgage rates today (generally in the low 4's), your effective interest rate after-tax is likely going to be somewhere between 3.5% and 4.5%. IF you are disciplined enough to instead save and invest those funds, you are likely to have a better return than that over a 15 or 30 year timeframe. The caveat, of course, is being disciplined enough to save the "extra" money and being able to stand the volatility inherent in many investment choices (anything in equities is going to go up and down, sometimes dramatically down in a relatively short timeframe).

IOW, if the choice is "pay $1000 now vs. borrow $1,000 and pay it off over 30 years at 4%", I'd likely go with the latter, but some people may not for various reasons. Of course, knowing builders the choice is more like "pay $1,000 now vs. borrow $1,500 and pay it off over 30 years at 4%", which changes the whole thing.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 PM

20 posts, read 37,974 times
Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Most of the prices seem pretty reasonable. There were a few that I had to scratch my head at. The kitchen faucet was one. Backsplash accents and tile designs was another price gouger. Waiting to hear back on appliance upgrades. Just gotta decide then if I want them to put the standard appliances in and then just resale them and get what I want after closing.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 PM

9,511 posts, read 19,526,329 times
You can get an awesome kitchen faucet at Lowes for $200. My plumber only charged $50 for the install...

Unless they are offering awesome appliances for that upgrade, just take the cheap ones, sell them on Craig's List, and go buy the good ones. You can do comparison shopping online and get some really good deals on much better appliances.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,959,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedstr25 View Post
Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Most of the prices seem pretty reasonable. There were a few that I had to scratch my head at. The kitchen faucet was one. Backsplash accents and tile designs was another price gouger. Waiting to hear back on appliance upgrades. Just gotta decide then if I want them to put the standard appliances in and then just resale them and get what I want after closing.

Or wait a few years for them to fail and replace them then. Builder grade is notoriously short lived.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 AM

The biggest head scratcher is the media room. The media room comes with three large windows. I asked to close the room up with no windows and was told it is a $300 fee for the cost of the bricks. When I inquired about the fact that they wouldn't be buying 3 windows and that should more than make up for the cost of the bricks I was told that the windows are bought as a "kit" for each house and that they can't change the kit. I emailed back asking what happens to the windows that are left over then and am still waiting for a response. Starting to wonder if I should exercise my contingency to get out of the contract and get my escrow back. Glad I had that written into the contract.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 AM

1,161 posts, read 739,746 times
Quote:
The biggest head scratcher is the media room. The media room comes with three large windows. I asked to close the room up with no windows and was told it is a $300 fee for the cost of the bricks. When I inquired about the fact that they wouldn't be buying 3 windows and that should more than make up for the cost of the bricks I was told that the windows are bought as a "kit" for each house and that they can't change the kit. I emailed back asking what happens to the windows that are left over then and am still waiting for a response. Starting to wonder if I should exercise my contingency to get out of the contract and get my escrow back. Glad I had that written into the contract.
Can they sell a room with 3 windows as Media room? It is like selling a room without closet as bed room. I have seen this in Frisco when it is built over garage in exact shape as garage. It needs windows as part of front elevation.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 19,526,329 times
Quote:
Starting to wonder if I should exercise my contingency to get out of the contract and get my escrow back.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM

401 posts, read 525,202 times
Quote:
Starting to wonder if I should exercise my contingency to get out of the contract and get my escrow back. Glad I had that written into the contract.
not surprised at all....... Grand Homes is very good at keeping their prices higher for each upgrades/changes you make on their base plan.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Well the design phase is complete and although a stressful process of many lows and highs I have left it feeling good about the process. Yes some of the prices are very inflated; however there was no pressure to do any particular upgrades and once we picked everything out we were happy with what we picked out. After some adjustments we are also happy with the overall cost of most of the upgrades. Those that were way over priced were mostly stuff that we can do on our own after we close on the house. Overall I left a happy customer during this phase of the process. I'll keep updating throughout the process!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or