U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM

258 posts, read 453,736 times

Advertisements

With a budget of $1200, you can definitely find a one bedroom or studio in Uptown. Look at the Villas on Katy Trail or try using PadMapper and putting in zip code 75204.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,941,981 times
Great points TC80.

One other point is to consider renting just a room. That might allow you entre' to some better digs.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:41 PM

16 posts, read 41,073 times
I would look at the Village Apartments, off of Southwestern boulevard. The age bracket is right in the mid-twenties to late 30s. It has a great running trial, along with organized sports leagues for tennis, softball, ultimate frisbee, and an awesome pool scene in the summer time.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:17 PM

3,330 posts, read 5,121,555 times
Consider renting an older place in the MStreets too. We lived between Lower Greenville and Knox/Henderson in a cute duplex and loved it.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,514,867 times
I'm from that area and love it - lived just east of Central off Henderson for 8 years and still own the property. Besides enjoying Knox-Henderson, you can go east and south to Greenville Avenue, Lakewood, White Rock Lake, Deep Ellum and west to Katy Trail, SMU, Park Cities, Turtle Creek, Oak Lawn, Cedar Springs and Uptown and to the south, downtown. There are lots of organizations and events and it's very laid-back.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 23,505 times
So sounds like if I keep my search to strictly Uptown and Knox/Henderson I should be ok. I'm also considering renting from an owner, perhaps a cute duplex (thanks for the idea mSooner) or 4-plex. Sometimes the bigger complexes are overpriced and have noise and parking issues (but I know they have their positives, like a gym, pool etc...decisions, decisions). But I'm having a hard time finding any rent from owner type places - Craigslist is flooded with apartment managers posting spam nonstop. And Padmapper is great, but it just pulls from websites like Craigslist, right? Does anyone know of a good website to find these duplexes or multi-dwelling homes? Or do you know of someone I can contact?

Not that I'm ignoring the big apartment complexes, just want to weigh my options out. Please feel free to keep the suggestions coming of actual apartment complexes I should look at.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,544,731 times
Your best bet is going to be contacting an apartment locator or driving around the area(which may be hard obviously if you're not here). You can try out places like trulia, zillow, etc as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 PM

212 posts, read 342,679 times
If you can afford the $$ and hassle of potentially moving twice, you should consider a short term (6 month) lease at a complex and then give yourself a chance to get to know the neighborhoods that have been suggested. Most of the duplexes in the areas suggested require driving around the first week of the month (when notices have been turned in), looking at signs and calling for an appointment right then.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:14 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,642,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sst13 View Post
So sounds like if I keep my search to strictly Uptown and Knox/Henderson I should be ok. I'm also considering renting from an owner, perhaps a cute duplex (thanks for the idea mSooner) or 4-plex. Sometimes the bigger complexes are overpriced and have noise and parking issues (but I know they have their positives, like a gym, pool etc...decisions, decisions). But I'm having a hard time finding any rent from owner type places - Craigslist is flooded with apartment managers posting spam nonstop. And Padmapper is great, but it just pulls from websites like Craigslist, right? Does anyone know of a good website to find these duplexes or multi-dwelling homes? Or do you know of someone I can contact?

Not that I'm ignoring the big apartment complexes, just want to weigh my options out. Please feel free to keep the suggestions coming of actual apartment complexes I should look at.

Thanks so much!
Just dropped you a list in your DM's

. . . . .

Last edited by Willsson; 08-07-2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM

3,330 posts, read 5,121,555 times
Driving around seems to be a good bet for that area. We found hours on Craigslist--but I called within hours of the posting. They go fast. A friend who just moved to the area used a realtor who specializes in rentals. She was out of state at the time, so I went with him to see some prospects. I liked him a lot--I'll send you a PM with his info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or