U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 PM

16 posts, read 40,532 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I currently live in SLC, but the biotech/clinical research field here is weak. I'm considering moving back to Dallas and get a job in the field. How would you rate Dallas in terms of that job market? I realize it would be better than SLC, just due the size of Dallas compared to SLC, and Texas' friendly business laws/tax rates, but aside from that, would you say that the opportunity for jobs in the field is good?

I know Houston is good, Austin is growing, but I hate Houston and Austin is probably out of my price range in terms of cost of living at the moment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM

7,327 posts, read 8,175,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorrill08 View Post
Hey all,

I currently live in SLC, but the biotech/clinical research field here is weak. I'm considering moving back to Dallas and get a job in the field. How would you rate Dallas in terms of that job market? I realize it would be better than SLC, just due the size of Dallas compared to SLC, and Texas' friendly business laws/tax rates, but aside from that, would you say that the opportunity for jobs in the field is good?

I know Houston is good, Austin is growing, but I hate Houston and Austin is probably out of my price range in terms of cost of living at the moment.

Thanks!
What/where is SLC?

Dallas, great as it is from an economic/business perspective, is not a huge biotech/pharma hub with one clear exception - that being the hardcore hyper-competative research positions at UTSW. With respect, you would not move here to look for a job at UTSW the gig would be arranged first.

The super premium biotech/clinical/pharma research positions in/around Austin for the most part are affiliated with UT's MD Anderson hospital out of Houston. I know that does not make visceral sense but that is the case. Once again you would not move there and then look for a gig.

Dallas, oddball circumstances excepted, is not less expensive than Austin. People who come to that conclusion are looking at stats comparing Austin proper to DFW. Not, "the good parts of Austin" versus the, "good parts of Dallas". Unit per unit (x versus x if you will) Dallas is more expensive.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM

19,651 posts, read 53,679,668 times
SLC Salt Lake City to me.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 PM

581 posts, read 751,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorrill08 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!
While the cities in the Dallas - Fort Worth area tend to try to push the development of new industries such as biotech, they generally come out of no where on their own in the private sector. For example, the latest to become burgeoning in Dallas - Fort Worth is the inland port developing in southeast Dallas.

Concerning the biotech industry, I would expect it to flourish in a much different fashion than it is expected to do so today.

Think of the early eighties and the advent of the Personal Computer. Texas Instruments designed what many thought was an excellent computer and then dropped it because, in their research, they couldn't foresee any reasons why every person in the United States would want to own one.

Then came Apple, Microsoft, and the Internet out of left field. I'm thinking that is how all industries establish themselves. While the cities are focused on right field, the new industries develop in the private sector and come out of left field.

All I can say is that the Dallas - Fort Worth area is the best place to live concerning the creation of whole new industries. Unfortunately, it is also an area that can throw off useless obsolete industries in no time. In other words, the Dallas - Fort Worth area is the nerve center of the Southwest being the prime market for a rather huge area.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,531,726 times
Houston opportunities in biotech are better than DFW area in my view. The Medical Center is unique with its collection of research institutions and medical application in some leading edge hospitals. I am more familiar with Houston than Dallas in this sector so my opinion is based on antidote's deeper in Houston than DFW area. However since OP hates Houston, Dallas would certainly offer more opportunity that SLC. My wife has a couple of nasty auto immune diseases, Two of her Dr's run clinical trial offices next door to their based practice offices.

Do a search on Indeed to see how many jobs come up as open now in the two fields you described... you can do this search for DFW by radius around a specified zipcode. You can adjust the radius distance on Indeed as well.

Good luck with your decision and if you come to DFW... let me say Welcome!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 PM

581 posts, read 751,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Houston opportunities in biotech are better than DFW area in my view. The Medical Center is unique with its collection of research institutions and medical application in some leading edge hospitals. I am more familiar with Houston than Dallas in this sector so my opinion is based on antidote's deeper in Houston than DFW area. However since OP hates Houston, Dallas would certainly offer more opportunity that SLC. My wife has a cto couple of nasty auto immune diseases, Two of her Dr's run clinical trial offices next door to their based practice offices.

Do a search on Indeed to see how many jobs come up as open now in the two fields you described... you can do this search for DFW by radius around a specified zipcode. You can adjust the radius distance on Indeed as well.

Good luck with your decision and if you come to DFW... let me say Welcome!
Indeed, Houston does have the Texas Medical Center, but, as I mentioned in my prior post, Dallas has more on the private side to make it work. Ultimately, those on the public side with tax payer money to spend aren't going to be making the same kinds of best decisions like those on the private side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or