U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 PM

7,324 posts, read 8,171,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I like the second home because it does not back up to Midway. That is worth some premium per sf vs the other home but not as much as the asking price indicates. Both homes are nice from the pictures shown. The location etc are great as well. Have the realtor give you comps for both homes, which may be the same ones but you need some indication of market value different between backing up to Marsh vs not. Good luck and thanks for asking
100% - roger that.

1. The second home is much better placed.
2. The second home is a better buy to my way of thinking.
A. A couple gallons of white paint and a good brush in the hands of a good painter, or alternatively the right clear-ish varnish, and that dated weathered/hard-white-washed kitchen cabinetry could be transformed for almost nothing.
B. The second home's "elevation" is much nicer.
C. Assuming the master bath's glass-block does not have algae in its mastic that is an expensive material that looks awesome. Again for less than $500 the bath could be re-habbed nicely.
D. Likely the carpets+pads in both places need to be trashed so that's a wash.

ETA - As mentioned the second home's lot is significantly nicer/better/bigger.

To my way of thinking home "2" is the one to pursue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,295,248 times
Pool!!!!!
U can paint later.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,985,066 times
To be honest, no one can really answer that question for you. For me, I think the layout/flow/how the space would work for how our family lives would probably be the biggest deciding factor, followed second by the lot (i.e. pool, backyard privacy, grass space, road noise, location in neighborhood, etc). Stuff that can be changed (cabinets, floors, painting, etc) is always much future down the list of importance.

That said, go with what YOU like...not your realtor. It's fine if he/her points out why they feel the 2nd might be better, but ultimately YOU are the one that will live there. So make sure it's what feel right for YOUR family.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM

9,524 posts, read 19,579,089 times
Personally, I like the first one all the way around. I'm not into the faux Victorian look that the second one has a lot of. And yes, Those cabinets are horrid! I also have no use for a pool, but that's just me.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 PM

1,542 posts, read 853,137 times
The first backs to Midway.

The second one seems to be priced really well but has been on the market for a while (in supposedly a very hot market) so I don't know what to make of that. The heavily antiqued cabinets might be an "easy" fix, but it is not a cheap fix (been there, done that).

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM

440 posts, read 673,254 times
2nd one-esp if you want a pool in the future-easier to buy a house with a pool than to put one in later...and restaining cabinets well be vastly cheaper than installing a pool!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 AM

204 posts, read 256,918 times
The second house if it was me

Also i think the master bath of the 2nd house has better layout (atleast from the pictures)...

Also with the weather outside the pool option is much more attractive...

Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,834,581 times
The only thing is that pool looks kind of small. It's not awful, but it is kind of lame for the area.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM

55 posts, read 66,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
The first backs to Midway.

The second one seems to be priced really well but has been on the market for a while (in supposedly a very hot market) so I don't know what to make of that. The heavily antiqued cabinets might be an "easy" fix, but it is not a cheap fix (been there, done that).

It was on corporate lease for last two years since owners upgraded to a multimillion dollar property in same area. Just came on market few weeks ago.

Cabinet fix is lot cheaper then putting a pool in and creek properties are rare in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas